Playstation 5

Sony discussion, including PS3, PS4, Vita, PS VR, PlayStation Network, PlayStation Mobile, PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, PlayStation TV, and Trophies.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: PS5

Post by Kong Wen »

Considering it won't be around for 1.5 years or so, and that's how long it'll take for 8K to start getting any kind of adoption, it makes sense for them to be building in the kind of technical features that wouldn't get much use in 2019.

It's smart of them to get out in front of some of these announcements and let people know that PS4 games and current PSVR tech will continue to be supported in the longer term. That'll reassure people who might have been on the fence about buying some of that stuff at this transitional time.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: PS5

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 18 Apr 2019 20:27Not coming out in 2019 (probably 2020 launch)
Fantastic. I want the PS4 lifespan extended no need to rush this. I'd be happier with 2021 though.
Kong Wen wrote: 18 Apr 2019 20:27AMD 8-core CPU
Radeon Navi variant GPU - first console to support ray-tracing
3D audio
*Pretends to totally know what this is* :ugeek:
Kong Wen wrote: 18 Apr 2019 20:27Current VR set is compatible
Please please please stay a fad.
Kong Wen wrote: 18 Apr 2019 20:27SSD
Fantastic! stuff takes so long to load on PS4
Kong Wen wrote: 18 Apr 2019 20:278K & 4K support
Staying ahead with 8k is really good.
Kong Wen wrote: 18 Apr 2019 20:27Still plays physical media (whether that's Blu-Rays or something new)
This is big. I understand this will be the future but digital only really limits the length of a consoles life. Imagine if the Wii was digital only it would basically not exist anymore. Also I still own DVD/Blu Rays and want my main console to play them.
Kong Wen wrote: 18 Apr 2019 20:27Many games will get simultaneous PS4 & PS5 launches ("gentle transition")
Fully backwards compatible with PS4 games
This is the biggest and best news. I can adopt a PS5 early if I want without fear of it collecting dust due to slow game releases.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Playstation 5

Post by Kong Wen »

PS5 has now been officially acknowledged and announced by Sony. It's coming for holiday season 2020 and will feature an updated controller with haptic feedback (sounds like HD rumble) and programmable "adaptive" trigger buttons that will feel different depending on what you're doing in the game.

EDIT: There are more details in the Wired exclusive.

Ray-tracing is hardware-based.
SSD is confirmed.
Controller also has new speakers and USB-C support (great news!)

PlayStation 5 is the official name of the console (no surprise, but it's a good thing).

EDIT: Devs have confirmed that the famous V-shaped PS5 devkit is real, but it's important to remember that this won't be the final design of the commercial unit, as cool as it is.

EDIT:

"They also mention a 'completey revamped user interface' that allows you to join multiplayer activities instantly from the OS for example" - Sony keeping on top of things with the OS/UI—something Nintendo desperately needs to learn from.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Reviving this thread rather than posting a new one.

Sony has revealed new DualSense colours, as well as a line of official side panels in various new colours (including black).

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/12/13 ... le-covers/

This would be very appealing if I weren't already such a big fan of the white.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

I like the controller colors and the interchangeable shells! I'm very interested in the blue outer shell! Would also be interested to see if they license future ones based on popular games. Could be fun.
You got BOOST power!