Last movie you watched & your rating

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Last movie you watched & your rating

Post by Kong Wen »

I watched my twelfth & thirteenth films of the year:

Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022) — 8.9/10

2022-05-28: Pretty good. I might need to rewatch it, but I don't think I'm as head-over-heels about this as many people seem to be. It's good, don't get me wrong. Well-structured, nice comedic beats, great acting from the whole cast. But there were parts of it that felt awkwardly paced, and I think it tried to be a bit too "zany" early on in a way that ended up sticking out. I liked the themes, and they dealt with them well, but sometimes the actual action (as in forward progression of the plot) felt a bit too laborious. All told, minor gripes.

Tread (2019) — 6.0/10

2022-05-30: Documentary about Marv Heemeyer, the guy who went nuts and built a huge impenetrable tank and started bulldozing the whole town. It was fine, but I had some major structural problems with it. The primary sources were 100% either Marv's one tape that he made ranting about why he was about to bulldoze the town or the locals with whom he had a beef—no real experts or documentarians offering any analysis. The uncritical presentation of what was essentially one one-sided rant (not a series of interviews tempered by the fact that someone was asking him questions in any kind of structured way, etc.) felt half-cooked. So that was one problem. The other major problem I had was with the pacing. The documentary doesn't actually tell you what it's about till like an hour in! Major, major buried lede. I mean, I guess it's assumed that you know what it's about when you start watching it, but most good documentaries will at least give you an overview of the subject and then delve in deeper into various aspects of it. This one just starts with an hour of gradual lead-up, then finally gives free rein to the actual rampage. It was a relatively interesting event perpetrated by a thoroughly uninteresting guy.

2022-01-15: 7.1/10 The Eternals (2021)
2022-01-20: 7.8/10 No Direction Home: Bob Dylan (2005)
2022-01-28: 9.5/10 Ex Machina (2014)
2022-01-28: 4.0/10 Love You to Death (2019)
2022-02-06: 8.0/10 The Lost Daughter (2021)
2022-02-11: 4.0/10 The Power of the Dog (2021)
2022-04-01: 8.3/10 High Life (2018)
2022-04-05: 8.3/10 The Negotiator (1998)
2022-04-14: 8.8/10 Scent of a Woman (1992)
2022-04-21: 9.0/10 The Batman (2022)
2022-04-29: 8.4/10 The Dead Don't Die (2019)
2022-05-28: 8.9/10 Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022)
2022-05-30: 6.0/10 Tread (2019)

Plus these, from the flights:

The Green Knight (2021) - hard to rate this. It's very good, very stylish visual film.

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (2022) - ridiculous Nick Cage as Nick Cage movie. It was fun enough.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Watched Primer recently. Knowing a bit of the story I was disappointed with the movie. So I score it 6/10.
Grt. Merlin

MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Watched Mortal Kombat (2021) recently as well as the other 2 Mortal Kombat movies.
The 2021 movie was better than the original ones, but still nog great. I score it 7/10.

Also watched Kimi on HBO Max .. short movie that could've been a lot better. I score it 6/10.
Grt. Merlin

MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Watched Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore on HBO Max. Good movie, but not great. I score it 7.5/10.

Also watched Detective Pikachu on HBO Max. Also score it a 7.5/10 as it was better than I expected but not great.
Grt. Merlin

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I guess I stopped logging when I watched movies (laziness)—I'll start again next year.

In the meantime, I got to watch a couple from my wishlist while flying back from Edinburgh to New York yesterday:

The Green Knight (2021) - hard to rate this. It's very good, very stylish visual film.

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (2022) - ridiculous Nick Cage as Nick Cage movie. It was fun enough.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Star Ratings
★★★ - Amazing
★★✩ - Good
★✩✩ - Bad

January 2023
KonoSuba: God's Blessing on this Wonderful World! Legend of Crimson ★★✩ - Good
Movie has Transphobia in it and it's basically just a long TV episode but it's silly and funny.

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish ★★✩ - Good
Story was average but the humour made up for it and the animation/art style is phenomenal.

Batman vs TMNT ★★★ - Amazing
I surprisingly loved this, simple story and the humour hit in all the right places.

Dragonball Super: Broly ★★★ - Amazing
I was not expecting to like this so much, animation was great and the story really made you feel for Broly.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Star Ratings
★★★ - Amazing
★★✩ - Good
★✩✩ - Bad

Deadpool 2 ★★✩ - Good
Funny movie that didn't take itself too seriously. Very stupid at times but enjoyable stupid.

Alien (1979) ★✩✩ - Bad
Didn't enjoy this much. It's far from terrible but it never hooked me. Very slow passed which isn't my style. Also it's really hard for me to get into movies that are 70s or older.

Birds of Prey ★✩✩ - Bad
Funny movie at times but it was all over the place story wise and it wasn't that great. Margot Robbie is amazing though.

Zootopia ★★★ - Amazing
I've seen this half a dozen times but watched it again since my S/O hadn't seen it. I adore this movie from start to finish it does everything great.

Sword Art Online the Movie - Progressive - Aria of a Starless Night ★★✩ - Good
Very enjoyable and interesting concept that just didn't dog deep enough into the story. Never seen the show but I'm interested to see the second movie.

January 2023
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Star Ratings
★★★ - Amazing
★★✩ - Good
★✩✩ - Bad

Wolf Children ★★✩ - Good
I really enjoyed this but felt the ending was a bit lackluster. The lack of shading on characters was a bit strange too. Otherwise I loved it.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople ★★★ - Amazing
Seen this movie before but it's a masterpiece from start to finish. Funny and uplifting. Highly recommend it to anyone.

Aliens ★✩✩ - Bad
Not as bad as the original but still couldn't get into it. Was too long and had similar vibes to the original.

January 2023
Deadpool 2 ★★✩ - Good
Alien (1979) ★✩✩ - Bad
Birds of Prey ★✩✩ - Bad
Zootopia ★★★ - Amazing
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Star Ratings
★★★ - Amazing
★★✩ - Good
★✩✩ - Bad

Lightyear - ★★✩ - Good
Completely different vibes from Toy Story which I think is a good thing. It's nothing amazing but the story holds it own and it's an enjoyable experience.

Minions: The Rise of Gru - ★★✩ - Good
This was much better than I expected. It was less of a minions movies and more of a Gru backstory movie. Fun all around movie that does things right but still doesn't hit the same spot as Despicable Me 1.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) - ★★✩ - Bood
This movie is Bad and Good. There's a ton wrong with the movie. Megan Fox is just there was sex appeal and she's just eh. The turtles design is terrible. The plots average. However the turtles are still really charming and funny and it's really not deserving off a 1 star bad review.

January 2023
Wolf Children ★★✩ - Good
Hunt for the Wilderpeople ★★★ - Amazing
Aliens ★✩✩ - Bad
Deadpool 2 ★★✩ - Good
Alien (1979) ★✩✩ - Bad
Birds of Prey ★✩✩ - Bad
Zootopia ★★★ - Amazing
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I watched my first film of the year:

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish (2022) — 8.1/10

Tonight we watched the Oscar-nominated Puss in Boots: The Last Wish. It was super cute. It hit all the Puss tropes, which is exactly what you want when you're watching a Puss movie. Lots of fun references. John Mulaney was in it.

2023 in Summary
01-28: 8.1/10 Puss in Boots: The Last Wish (2022) - home cinema