Bottom 1024 — Week 15 — Poll 13

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2020-24 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project: Hindsight Edition.

Which of these two games is NOT QUITE THE BEST BUT DOESN'T DESERVE THIS FATE (YET...)?

1485 — Daxter (2006, PSP)
40%
1588 — Final Fantasy IV (2007, DS)
60%

Total votes: 5

This Old Neon
Administrator

Bottom 1024 — Week 15 — Poll 13

Post by This Old Neon »

Welcome to the #BGE2020 Elimination Round Lower Bracket!

Each game in the lower bracket is still seeded based on its performance in the two opening rounds of pools! Every game in the lower bracket has already been defeated by another game in a 1-on-1 poll to get to this point. This is their chance to claw their way back into the main event... but the stakes are high. The games that lose in these polls are out of the tournament for good! The games that survive will face the next crop of upper bracket losers in the next round.

Polls are updated weekly, typically on Saturday... or Sunday or Monday. Check back throughout the week to make sure you don't miss a vote!

HOW TO VOTE

This is easy. You only get one vote per poll. The game with the most votes wins. In the event of a tie, the higher seed advances.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Bottom 1024 — Week 15 — Poll 13

Post by Kong Wen »

This Final Fantasy IV is notable for not being a port/remaster, but for being a full-on 3D polygonal remake with voice acting, a fleshed-out story, additional content, etc. Square dug themselves into a hole by releasing so many cash-grab ports that I think this one got overlooked at the time. Great game.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

I just wish I like FFIV more…it didn’t click with me for some reason.
No more nightmares, I’ve seen them all. From the day I was born, they’ve haunted my every move.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Sharecrow wrote: 01 Jun 2022 03:12 I just wish I like FFIV more…it didn’t click with me for some reason.
The SNES one, or this different game?
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Kong Wen wrote: 01 Jun 2022 03:40
Sharecrow wrote: 01 Jun 2022 03:12 I just wish I like FFIV more…it didn’t click with me for some reason.
GBA
No more nightmares, I’ve seen them all. From the day I was born, they’ve haunted my every move.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Sharecrow wrote: 01 Jun 2022 04:13
Kong Wen wrote: 01 Jun 2022 03:40
GBA
Ah yeah, the original. You might like this one.

Actually a pretty good guess at the reason you wouldn't like the other FF4 is because I know you're a job system man. FF5 and FF4 are on pretty opposite ends of the job system spectrum. FF5 lets you choose classes for your guys, and FF4 tailor-crafts your party out of traditional classes to suit specific story situations.

There are times when that's pretty fun, such as in the Magnetic Cave. If you could just change your classes at will there, it wouldn't be as interesting a challenge. Actually, nearly every area in the game is like that—they send you up Mt. Ordeals with just Cecil and some mages, for example. And by the end, when you're facing the most challenging endgame content, you've finally assembled a well-balanced team with a Paladin (Knight), Dragoon/Lancer, Ninja, White Mage and Black Mage/Summoner.

Anyway, the DS version is very different. Not really in regards to the classes, but certainly in regards to how fleshed out the story is. Actually now that I think of it, the DS version did have unique abilities for the characters that you could transfer between them, giving you a little bit more customizability. That might be something that mitigates the static feeling of the game for you.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

For what it’s worth, I like quite a few non-job RPGs as well. Some of them a lot….Shadow Hearts 1 and 2, Skies of Arcadia, Ys, the first two Dragon Warriors, Jade Cocoon 2, most Tales games, Phantasy Stars, Cosmic Star Heroine, etc etc

With FFIV the story bored me or maybe I just never liked the characters enough to become vested in it. It’s my least favorite FF of those I’ve played (1-8, 10, 12, 15).
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Most of the rest of the games you listed aren't high-era Final Fantasy games though. I'm not saying lack of a job system is the only reason you might have disliked it, just that contextually, when you have all those classic FF staple jobs in a game and literally can't change them or choose them, it seems limiting and narratively prescribed.

If it was the story and characters that bored you, then Final Fantasy IV (DS) might be just the ticket to be honest!
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Kong Wen wrote: 01 Jun 2022 23:28 Most of the rest of the games you listed aren't high-era Final Fantasy games though. I'm not saying lack of a job system is the only reason you might have disliked it, just that contextually, when you have all those classic FF staple jobs in a game and literally can't change them or choose them, it seems limiting and narratively prescribed.

If it was the story and characters that bored you, then Final Fantasy IV (DS) might be just the ticket to be honest!
I sold my DS though and used the money to buy books.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Sharecrow wrote: 02 Jun 2022 00:26 I sold my DS though and used the money to buy books.
Did the books you bought have a good storyline? :ninja: