Top 512 — Week 4 — Poll 2

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2020-24 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project: Hindsight Edition.

Which of these two games is BEST?!

98 — R-Type (1987, TG16)
86%
415 — Rayman (1995, PS1)
14%

Total votes: 7

This Old Neon
Administrator

Top 512 — Week 4 — Poll 2

Post by This Old Neon »

Welcome to the #BGE2020 Elimination Round of 512!

Each game is seeded based on its performance in the two opening rounds of pools. Every game in the Upper Bracket has defeated multiple other games in 1-on-1 polls to get to this point. These are still the best of the best.

Polls are updated weekly, typically on Sunday or Monday. Check back throughout the week to make sure you don't miss a vote!

HOW TO VOTE

This is easy. You only get one vote per poll. The game with the most votes wins. In the event of a tie, the higher seed advances, so don't get complacent!

:belmont:
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Re: Top 512 — Week 4 — Poll 2

Post by Sharecrow »

R-Type is one of those perfect games and I assert that the TG16 port is the best version of it. One of my all time favorites and a no-brainer vote.
No more nightmares, I’ve seen them all. From the day I was born, they’ve haunted my every move.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Damn... battle of two great series openers here. Each great in their own ways. Each great entries in saturated (at the time) genres. I'm leaning towards R-Type here but I have to mull it over.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Why are there 2 games called R-Type? What's the difference between them?
Drumble doesn't respect the sigs so here's a link to my backloggery
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

SkyPikachu wrote: 24 Jan 2023 18:24 Why are there 2 games called R-Type? What's the difference between them?
In the case of the TG16 vs the arcade, there’s very little difference. The main thing is that the TG16 screen is zoomed in a tiny bit more so when you move vertically in the screen it scrolls a little whereas the arcade version shows the whole vertical span of the level at all times. That’s the only meaningful difference that I’m aware of.

The SMS version, which isn’t present in this round and is probably sadly eliminated, had obviously necessary presentation differences but also had a secret level in it which is just an awesome extra to have.
No more nightmares, I’ve seen them all. From the day I was born, they’ve haunted my every move.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Sharecrow wrote: 24 Jan 2023 18:32
SkyPikachu wrote: 24 Jan 2023 18:24 Why are there 2 games called R-Type? What's the difference between them?
In the case of the TG16 vs the arcade, there’s very little difference. The main thing is that the TG16 screen is zoomed in a tiny bit more so when you move vertically in the screen it scrolls a little whereas the arcade version shows the whole vertical span of the level at all times. That’s the only meaningful difference that I’m aware of.

The SMS version, which isn’t present in this round and is probably sadly eliminated, had obviously necessary presentation differences but also had a secret level in it which is just an awesome extra to have.
The TG16 also has a unique boss in place of a wave of regular enemies in one of the stages. And it's played with a TG16 controller instead of a stick. :)

To get to the heart of Sky's question though—multiple similar versions of several games are individual entries in #BGE2020 because the entries were drawn from every previous instance of the Project. As you'll remember, each Project has had slightly different rules to try to make them feel unique and/or get at something interesting about the nominated games and what makes them the best, so one Project allowed all remotely different versions of a game to compete on their own (against each other) while another Project collapsed different versions into one entry.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Kong Wen wrote: 24 Jan 2023 18:49
Sharecrow wrote: 24 Jan 2023 18:32

The TG16 also has a unique boss in place of a wave of regular enemies in one of the stages. And it's played with a TG16 controller instead of a stick. :)
Which stage? I had no idea…
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Sharecrow wrote: 24 Jan 2023 19:57 Which stage? I had no idea…
Stage 6 I think?

This guy (at 12:35). He's not in the arcade version. I think he's only in the TG16 version actually.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Kong Wen wrote: 24 Jan 2023 20:16
Stage 6 I think?

This guy (at 12:35). He's not in the arcade version. I think he's only in the TG16 version actually.
Interesting. I scoured that game but haven’t gotten that far in the arcade version so I never knew.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Sharecrow wrote: 24 Jan 2023 20:22
Kong Wen wrote: 24 Jan 2023 20:16
Stage 6 I think?

Interesting. I scoured that game but haven’t gotten that far in the arcade version so I never knew.
Wait just a second. That wasn’t the level 6 boss on the TG16 port that was on virtual console. It was a bunch of crates. I wonder if that boss was native to a region that differed from what the VC port was an emulation of. Interesting.