Bottom 1024 — Week 29 — Poll 2

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2020-24 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project: Hindsight Edition.

Which of these two games is NOT QUITE THE BEST BUT DOESN'T DESERVE THIS FATE (YET...)?

898 — Mega Man 7 (1995, SNES)
43%
1151 — Romance of the Three Kingdoms (1985, NES)
57%

Total votes: 7

This Old Neon
Administrator

Bottom 1024 — Week 29 — Poll 2

Post by This Old Neon »

Welcome to the #BGE2020 Elimination Round Lower Bracket!

Each game in the lower bracket is still seeded based on its performance in the two opening rounds of pools! Every game in the lower bracket has already been defeated by another game in a 1-on-1 poll to get to this point. This is their chance to claw their way back into the main event... but the stakes are high. The games that lose in these polls are out of the tournament for good! The games that survive will face the next crop of upper bracket losers in the next round.

Polls are updated weekly, typically on Saturday... or Sunday or Monday. Check back throughout the week to make sure you don't miss a vote!

HOW TO VOTE

This is easy. You only get one vote per poll. The game with the most votes wins. In the event of a tie, the higher seed advances, so don't get complacent!

:belmont:
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Bottom 1024 — Week 29 — Poll 2

Post by Kong Wen »

MM7 is very close to the worst entry in the series, which isn't terrible because the series is good, but it's not great.

RTK1 isn't as great as its standout immediate sequel (the quality jump from 1 to 2 is amazing), but the core gameplay is all there, and it has the iconic series music in 8-bit glory.

• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
liu yuante
Aspirant

Post by liu yuante »

The game that started it all - my Dad went out to the grocery store and we asked him to rent us an NES game while he was out (remember when you could rent video games at a grocery store?). He came back with RTK I. Who knows if I ever would have become interested in Chinese language and history without that. None of that has anything to do with how good of a game it is, of course, but MM7 is not a great MM game.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

That's a hell of a random NES game to bring back from a grocery store. Pretty awesome, though!

I'm trying to remember if I played this before the likes of Civ 1 or Pool of Radiance, all of which were formative strategy fan development games for me. I'm pretty sure I went RTK -> Civ -> Gold Box though.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Hate to be annoying about this, but even a lower-half Mega Man game is really great stuff. But y'all know how I feel about that.

If R3K is as good as y'all say, I certainly won't begrudge it beating MM7. I just seriously doubt I would like it more.
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote: 04 Apr 2023 17:27 Hate to be annoying about this, but even a lower-half Mega Man game is really great stuff. But y'all know how I feel about that.

If R3K is as good as y'all say, I certainly won't begrudge it beating MM7. I just seriously doubt I would like it more.
Yeah I acknowledged that a lower-tenth MM game is still good. And you're right, there's no chance you would like RTK1 more than MM7. There might be a later RTK game that you like more than your least-favourite MM though... we'll find out one of these days.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote: 04 Apr 2023 18:03 Yeah I acknowledged that a lower-tenth MM game is still good. And you're right, there's no chance you would like RTK1 more than MM7. There might be a later RTK game that you like more than your least-favourite MM though... we'll find out one of these days.
Yeah, I reckon I oughta give one a shot eventually!

Also to be clear, I actually would go to bat for MM7 as a stronger Mega Man. I liked it a lot and was surprised as I played it that it was considered one of the "worst" ones. I think 8 is the pretty obvious worst (still good, but only just). MM2, 3, and 9 are elite, and then I think it's REALLY tough to rank them from there. I'd probably have to play them all back-to-back to have them fresh enough in my mind to really make a call there. But suffice it to say I think MM7 would land higher on my list than yours (and possibly most people's).

If nothing else, MM7 gets big points from me for this: :)

You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote: 05 Apr 2023 06:17 Also to be clear, I actually would go to bat for MM7 as a stronger Mega Man. I liked it a lot and was surprised as I played it that it was considered one of the "worst" ones. I think 8 is the pretty obvious worst (still good, but only just). MM2, 3, and 9 are elite, and then I think it's REALLY tough to rank them from there. I'd probably have to play them all back-to-back to have them fresh enough in my mind to really make a call there. But suffice it to say I think MM7 would land higher on my list than yours (and possibly most people's).
I'd probably go something like:

2 > 9 > 3 > 4=10 > 5=6 > 7 > 8

It's hard to rank MM1 because it's not very good, so it depends on what the criteria are. If it's solely in terms of how much I enjoy it, then it's probably anywhere in that 4=10 > 5=6 range. It gets shifted higher to the left if it's BGE criteria for importance and impact/influence.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Kong Wen wrote: 05 Apr 2023 15:54
Claytone wrote: 05 Apr 2023 06:17 Also to be clear, I actually would go to bat for MM7 as a stronger Mega Man. I liked it a lot and was surprised as I played it that it was considered one of the "worst" ones. I think 8 is the pretty obvious worst (still good, but only just). MM2, 3, and 9 are elite, and then I think it's REALLY tough to rank them from there. I'd probably have to play them all back-to-back to have them fresh enough in my mind to really make a call there. But suffice it to say I think MM7 would land higher on my list than yours (and possibly most people's).
I'd probably go something like:

It's hard to rank MM1 because it's not very good, so it depends on what the criteria are. If it's solely in terms of how much I enjoy it, then it's probably anywhere in that 4=10 > 5=6 range. It gets shifted higher to the left if it's BGE criteria for importance and impact/influence.
You missed 11 as well ;)

Was just going to note that I like MM1. Largely agree with your rankings though…would place 1 between 3 and 4. 11 is quite good, though.
No more nightmares, I’ve seen them all. From the day I was born, they’ve haunted my every move.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Sharecrow wrote: 05 Apr 2023 15:59
Kong Wen wrote: 05 Apr 2023 15:54 I'd probably go something like:

You missed 11 as well ;)

Was just going to note that I like MM1. Largely agree with your rankings though…would place 1 between 3 and 4. 11 is quite good, though.
I didn't miss it, I just haven't had a chance to play through it yet! Which I really should rectify ASAP tbh. Onto the wishlist-to-watch-for-a-sale it goes!