Top 256 — Week 1 — Poll 25

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2020-24 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project: Hindsight Edition.

Which of these two games is BEST?!

25 — Super Mario Bros. (1985, NES)
44%
232 — Warsong (1991, Genesis)
56%

Total votes: 9

This Old Neon
Administrator

Top 256 — Week 1 — Poll 25

Post by This Old Neon »

Welcome to the #BGE2020 Elimination Round of 256!

Each game is seeded based on its performance in the two opening rounds of pools. Every game in the Upper Bracket has defeated multiple other games in 1-on-1 polls to get to this point. These are still the best of the best.

Polls are updated weekly, typically on Sunday or Monday. Check back throughout the week to make sure you don't miss a vote!

HOW TO VOTE

This is easy. You only get one vote per poll. The game with the most votes wins. In the event of a tie, the higher seed advances, so don't get complacent!

:belmont:
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Re: Top 256 — Week 1 — Poll 25

Post by Sharecrow »

Warsong better win this or I’ll be broken hearted.
No more nightmares, I’ve seen them all. From the day I was born, they’ve haunted my every move.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Sharecrow wrote: 15 May 2023 16:00 Warsong better win this or I’ll be broken hearted.
I would happily vote for Warsong here just from a personal preference perspective... but it's a tough match for it for sure.

Super Mario Bros. is undoubtedly an influential early pure platformer, nice and tight, great design language, great coherence of vision.

Warsong on the other hand has to content with early Fire Emblem games (mind you, Warsong is based on the earlier Elthlead games that predate Fire Emblem 1). It does have great music and an early example of a branching class promotion system... and it does present a good variety of tactical situations and options. Hmm, it's definitely a worthy game. I just have to go back and think for a while about how I want to balance the various variable that go into a vote...

Edit: Share has convinced me. I'll go for Warsong for now knowing I've voted for the better Mario game(s) in this bracket already.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

My thing is that it offers so much more than the admittedly outstanding Super Mario Bros game. Give me characters and story and varied problems. Platformers can do that, too, but they’re more mechanical problems than noodle-scratchers. The two worlds’ visions couldn’t be more different…I’d rather spend time in a fantasy world than a mushroom kingdom.
No more nightmares, I’ve seen them all. From the day I was born, they’ve haunted my every move.
Niahak

Post by Niahak »

After the somewhat disappointing Lang1 remake, I reflected on a lot of the little details that make Warsong great. It's got the perfect mix of a plot with strong pathos early on, some tricky missions that are definitely winnable, but tough even if you know how to maximize your leveling, and is one of the rare strategy games that makes combat feel visceral. By the time the plot gets less interesting, you're fully invested in the mechanics.
Music and art are great too.