Top 256 — Week 2 — Poll 22

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2020-24 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project: Hindsight Edition.

Which of these two games is BEST?!

54 — Super Mario Kart (1992, SNES)
67%
203 — Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (2005, DS)
33%

Total votes: 9

This Old Neon
Administrator

Top 256 — Week 2 — Poll 22

Post by This Old Neon »

Welcome to the #BGE2020 Elimination Round of 256!

Each game is seeded based on its performance in the two opening rounds of pools. Every game in the Upper Bracket has defeated multiple other games in 1-on-1 polls to get to this point. These are still the best of the best.

Polls are updated weekly, typically on Sunday or Monday. Check back throughout the week to make sure you don't miss a vote!

HOW TO VOTE

This is easy. You only get one vote per poll. The game with the most votes wins. In the event of a tie, the higher seed advances, so don't get complacent!

:belmont:
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Top 256 — Week 2 — Poll 22

Post by Kong Wen »

Here it is.

One of the only match-ups where I'll vote for a Mario Kart game.

Super Mario Kart is at least the first game in the series. It tried to do something new, and it actually did it well! Using Mode 7 graphics, no less! A good multiplayer game with good battle mode and all the elements in place for a classic: trim roster of important heroes, time trial ghosts, good variety of stages including one of the best Rainbow Roads to this day, etc.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
liu yuante
Aspirant

Re: Top 256 — Week 2 — Poll 22

Post by liu yuante »

Kong Wen wrote: 13 Jun 2023 21:30 Here it is.

One of the only match-ups where I'll vote for a Mario Kart game.

Super Mario Kart is at least the first game in the series. It tried to do something new, and it actually did it well! Using Mode 7 graphics, no less! A good multiplayer game with good battle mode and all the elements in place for a classic: trim roster of important heroes, time trial ghosts, good variety of stages including one of the best Rainbow Roads to this day, etc.
It's also one of the only Mario Karts where genuine racing prowess is almost never ruined by a sudden, catastrophic event (flying spiky blue shells of death, etc.). Certainly in later games if you can get out far enough in front you can survive the inevitable catch-up mechanics sure to bombard you, but the original MK is about being good at driving. The rare occasion when you manage to save a red shell to nail the overall leader right before the finish line of the last race in the circuit, thus causing the third place finish that allows you to claim the overall gold - well, it feels rewarding in a way that nuking everyone in later games does not. Of course, the tracks are much creative, but that's fine.