BOTTOM 320 — Week 3 — Poll 7

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2020-24 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project: Hindsight Edition.

Which of these two games is NOT QUITE THE BEST BUT DOESN'T DESERVE THIS FATE (YET...)?

135 — Paper Mario (2000, N64)
29%
314 — Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (2000, PC)
71%

Total votes: 7

This Old Neon
Administrator

BOTTOM 320 — Week 3 — Poll 7

Post by This Old Neon »

Welcome to the #BGE2020 Elimination Round Lower Bracket!

Each game in the lower bracket is still seeded based on its performance in the two opening rounds of pools! Every game in the lower bracket has already been defeated by another game in a 1-on-1 poll to get to this point. This is their chance to claw their way back into the main event... but the stakes are high. The games that lose in these polls are out of the tournament for good! The games that survive will face the next crop of upper bracket losers in the next round.

Polls are updated weekly, typically on Monday. Check back throughout the week to make sure you don't miss a vote!

HOW TO VOTE

This is easy. You only get one vote per poll. The game with the most votes wins. In the event of a tie, the higher seed advances, so don't get complacent!

:belmont:
evildevil97
Adept

Re: BOTTOM 320 — Week 3 — Poll 7

Post by evildevil97 »

Baldur's Gate II is still my favourite RPG ever.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

evildevil97 wrote: 11 Dec 2023 17:17 Baldur's Gate II is still my favourite RPG ever.
One of the best RPGs ever is certainly an easy vote against like the 4th or 5th best Mario-based RPG.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

Kong Wen wrote: 11 Dec 2023 17:19
evildevil97 wrote: 11 Dec 2023 17:17 Baldur's Gate II is still my favourite RPG ever.
One of the best RPGs ever is certainly an easy vote against like the 4th or 5th best Mario-based RPG.
And I'm a huge fan of the Mario RPGs! (Still shocked the best two got or are getting Switch remakes.)
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

evildevil97 wrote: 11 Dec 2023 17:22
And I'm a huge fan of the Mario RPGs! (Still shocked the best two got or are getting Switch remakes.)
Agreed! IMO Thousand Year Door > SMRPG > some of the Mario & Luigi games > Paper Mario 64. I'm not particularly a fan of SMRPG, at least I wasn't back when it first launched, but I'll happily rerun it on the new version... especially if I can knock some $$ off with Nintendo Online vouchers or something!
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

Kong Wen wrote: 11 Dec 2023 17:59
evildevil97 wrote: 11 Dec 2023 17:22

Agreed! IMO Thousand Year Door > SMRPG > some of the Mario & Luigi games > Paper Mario 64. I'm not particularly a fan of SMRPG, at least I wasn't back when it first launched, but I'll happily rerun it on the new version... especially if I can knock some $$ off with Nintendo Online vouchers or something!
I always consider OG SMRPG my favourite, but a lot of that is nostalgia. Take that away, and TTYD comes out on top. Bowser's Inside Story and Superstar Saga are probably #3 and #4 for me. I'd put Super Paper Mario pretty close too, if it counts. Would love to see Nintendo revisit that some day too. But anything after TTYD would really just be gravy.
liu yuante
Aspirant

Post by liu yuante »

Paper Mario never felt as great to me as it probably should have, through no fault of its own. I played 1000 Year Door first and as a consequence the first felt like a pale imitation. Had I played them in their chronological order I might not feel that way (though I think I'd still prefer the sequel).