TOP 16 — Poll 3 of 8

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2020-24 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project: Hindsight Edition.

Which of these two games is BEST?!

3 — Super Mario World (1990, SNES)
86%
14 — Half-Life (1998, PC)
14%

Total votes: 7

This Old Neon
Administrator

TOP 16 — Poll 3 of 8

Post by This Old Neon »

Welcome to the #BGE2020 Elimination Round of 16!

Each game is seeded based on its performance in the two opening rounds of pools. Every game in the Upper Bracket has defeated multiple other games in 1-on-1 polls to get to this point. These are still the best of the best.

Polls are updated weekly, typically on Monday. Check back throughout the week to make sure you don't miss a vote!

HOW TO VOTE

This is easy. You only get one vote per poll. The game with the most votes wins. In the event of a tie, the higher seed advances, so don't get complacent!

:belmont:
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Re: TOP 16 — Poll 3 of 8

Post by Sharecrow »

Abstaining
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

World maybe nostalgia makes me biased but it's the best 2d Mario game I've ever played (not played wonder yet)
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

This is another tough one, although not as tough as the DOOM vs. Super Meat Boy poll. Super Mario World is my favourite Mario game (I don't need to specify 2D, since the best game in the series must by default be a 2D game), but it's not a quantum leap ahead of Super Mario Bros 3, which largely did the hard work of innovation and set the stage for SMW's refinements.

I also have to weigh whether I think it's worth having the best precision platformer (Super Meat Boy) and the best family-friendly little children's easy mode platformer (SMW) both in the top 8. They're both worthy of note, they're both great executions of their missions, but is it worth crowding out a more unique entry like HL1?
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
liu yuante
Aspirant

Post by liu yuante »

Kong Wen wrote: 27 Feb 2024 16:21 This is another tough one, although not as tough as the DOOM vs. Super Meat Boy poll. Super Mario World is my favourite Mario game (I don't need to specify 2D, since the best game in the series must by default be a 2D game), but it's not a quantum leap ahead of Super Mario Bros 3, which largely did the hard work of innovation and set the stage for SMW's refinements.

I also have to weigh whether I think it's worth having the best precision platformer (Super Meat Boy) and the best family-friendly little children's easy mode platformer (SMW) both in the top 8. They're both worthy of note, they're both great executions of their missions, but is it worth crowding out a more unique entry like HL1?
If it makes it easier on you, Super Meat Boy isn't going to beat Doom w/o a miracle. I'm going to go SMW here and then FF VI in the other poll. Even though I think Galaxy is better than SMW (it's creative, bonkers and actually challenging in many spots, whereas I'm pretty sure when I replayed SMW a few years ago I breezed through it), this method keeps one of the Mario games in the running, while also voting for FF VI which, I think, deserves the spot more than Half-Life (by a smidge).