BGE Questions & General Discussion

Nominate and vote for your favourite games in a tournament-style competition. Join the debate, discuss what games mean to you, and discover hidden gems to broaden your horizons.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: BGE Questions & General Discussion

Post by Kong Wen »

Before posting the main voting threads later tonight, I wanted to pull up some interesting stats.

Since there were 2700 games original in contention :D

• The lowest-seeded game still alive in the lower bracket (currently in 384th place) is Gone Home, the 1661st overall seed. It has outlasted over 1000 games that came into the contest with a higher seeding.

• The vast majority of the games that got demoted to the lower bracket have subsequently been eliminated, but a small handful of the very first demotions from the first elimination round have gone on to win four (4) more elimination match-ups to stay alive:
Monster Hunter: World
Prince of Persia (2008)
Starflight
Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World
Little Nemo: The Dream Master
Inside
Romance of the Three Kingdoms III: Dragon of Destiny

• The highest-seeded game demoted in the previous round was The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, the 12th overall seed. It was dumped in the latest elimination round by Stardew Valley. (Subsequently, the lowest-seeded game still undefeated in the upper bracket is Stardew Valley)

• The highest-seeded game overall that's still clinging to life down there is Batman: Arkham Asylum—astonishingly the 4th overall seed at the beginning of the contest, and now still chugging along after surviving 2 polls in the lower bracket.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

We're about to move on to the Top 32 (and Bottom 192), so it's time for interesting stats!

The highest-seeded game that has been eliminated is now Batman: Arkham Asylum—the 4th overall seed coming into this contest is now gone. The #1 seed is still in the upper bracket, but the #2 and #3 seeds are in the lower bracket.

The lowest-seeded game still alive in the competition is F-Zero AX, which came into the contest in 1284th place. It's in the lower bracket right now. The lowest-seeded game still alive in the upper bracket is #338, Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar.

Finally, the very last remaining game to have lost in its very first match-up and yet still cling to life in the lower bracket is Monster Hunter: World, which has gone on to win five (5) life-or-death matches to stay in the contest. It keeps fighting the highest seed to get demoted in the latest round, which means its days are numbered...
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote: 15 Jan 2024 21:49 The lowest-seeded game still alive in the competition is F-Zero AX, which came into the contest in 1284th place. It's in the lower bracket right now. The lowest-seeded game still alive in the upper bracket is #338, Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar.
:twisted:
You got BOOST power!
This Old Neon
Administrator

Post by This Old Neon »

Kong Wen wrote: 15 Jan 2024 21:49 We're about to move on to the Top 32 (and Bottom 192), so it's time for interesting stats!

The highest-seeded game that has been eliminated is now Batman: Arkham Asylum—the 4th overall seed coming into this contest is now gone. The #1 seed is still in the upper bracket, but the #2 and #3 seeds are in the lower bracket.

The lowest-seeded game still alive in the competition is F-Zero AX, which came into the contest in 1284th place. It's in the lower bracket right now. The lowest-seeded game still alive in the upper bracket is #338, Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar.

Finally, the very last remaining game to have lost in its very first match-up and yet still cling to life in the lower bracket is Monster Hunter: World, which has gone on to win five (5) life-or-death matches to stay in the contest. It keeps fighting the highest seed to get demoted in the latest round, which means its days are numbered...
Another round, another summary.

The Top 16 will be on pause for a round of lower bracket catch-ups (about 2 weeks).

With the elimination of F-Zero AX, the new lowest-seeded game still alive in the competition is Hades, which came into the contest in 1129th place and is currently sitting at #107 overall (in the lower bracket). The lowest seed remaining in the Top 16 is Final Fantasy VI, commonly cited as the best RPG of all time, which came into the contest at 139th.

With the elimination of Monster Hunter: World, there are no games left that were demoted in the first round. The earliest demotes still alive in the contest are now Super Smash Bros. Melee, Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age, Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord, and X-COM: UFO Defense, all dropped in the 2nd round.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Can any of the games in the bottom 8 win the comp or is it physically impossible?

Alttp seems like a contender to possibly do that if it's possible otherwise can it only finish 2nd at best?
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

SkyPikachu wrote: 26 Mar 2024 04:21 Can any of the games in the bottom 8 win the comp or is it physically impossible?

Alttp seems like a contender to possibly do that if it's possible otherwise can it only finish 2nd at best?
It's a normal double-elimination tournament, and the bottom bracket games have only been defeated once, so they can of course win if they survive long enough. The format is a little funny for a voting game, because normally this means the lower bracket champ has to beat the upper bracket champ twice, but for that to be dramatic there has to be risk of people changing their minds :D (or recruiting new friendos to vote, which would be sad for the recruited friendo to join the forum for a fun contest like this just on the last week) (or for people to miss a week, which is even less climactic)
This Old Neon
Administrator

Post by This Old Neon »

In a shocking twist, only one (1) of the favourites from the Top 8 and lower top 8 won its bracket; the other 7 polls were won by the underdogs!

New lower brackets coming soon today.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

So ALttP beat Zelda 1 8-0.

I'm curious;
When was the last game that received 0 votes?
When was the last game that received 8+ votes?
Have we ever had a game make the "Bottom 8"/"Top 16" game receive 0 votes?