South Park on freemium games

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

South Park on freemium games

Post by Kong Wen »

The latest episode of South Park satirizes the phenomenon of freemium or free-to-play games that milk cash out of unsuspecting dupes through microtransactions, or worse, by tricking kids. If you're in the US, you can watch the whole episode for free on the South Park site. (The rest of us have to resort to other means.)

I generally like these "topical" episodes of South Park. Since this episode touches on an issue that's been big in gaming for a while now (and about which one of our very own members and contributors has developed a satirical game of his own, Monetizing Children), I thought it could be of interest to some here.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Jelly
Beans
Beans

Re: South Park on freemium games

Post by Jelly »

Good episode!

It's nice to see some hilarious criticism pointed toward game developers in this kind of context.

The scenes in the end with Stan having a conversation on his bed were really sweet.

Anyway, off to play some Hearthstone, ciao!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I've been seeing more and more pokes at free to play games in media lately. I think it was in the Simpsons X Futurama where Homer goes to the future and tries to get everyone to explain how free to play makes sense.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Jelly
Beans
Beans

Post by Jelly »

The latest episode about Magic the Gathering had me laughing so hard..

They're really targeting the geek market this season, with episodes about free to play, drones, magic the gathering, kickstarter/startups, virtual reality and the Uber car service.