NHL Expansion

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

NHL Expansion

Post by Kreegs »

If you follow the NHL, you are probably familiar with the current murmurings of expansion. I figured there should be a separate thread for this so we don't spam up the other one. Personally, I would like to see a team back in Quebec. I would rather get rid of some of the southern teams than to make even more teams. Teams like Florida hardly have any fans at their games and are somewhat of an embarrassment...

Article about relocation http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnist ... -1.9711762

The markets that are vying for a team are:

Seattle WA
Las Vegas NV
Kansas City MO
Quebec City QC
Hamilton ON

What are your thoughts on this?

Here is an interesting article I found today about the expansion draft process and cap space. It would be different than anytime before. http://nypost.com/2014/12/14/current-nh ... -cap-woes/
I intend to live forever, or die trying
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Re: NHL Expansion

Post by kitroplious »

I personally really want more Canadian teams and Seattle (for the Vancouver/Seattle rivalry). Not interested in the rest... maybe Kansas City though.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Las Vegas is all but assured to get a team when expansion happens.

Alignment is pretty hideous when you take a look at this map:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/teams.htm?navid=nav-tms-main

The NHL needs two additional teams in the West right now just to balance things out: one in Pacific and one in Central. If they added Las Vegas and Seattle, they'd both have to be in the Pacific division, possibly bumping Arizona to Central (which would be OK).

The East has their own problems. Florida and Tampa are in cut off from the rest of the teams in the Atlantic division. Maybe instead of adding a new team in the East, they could just move the Panthers to Quebec City. Tampa could then move to the Metropolitan division and Columbus could move into the Atlantic division to be closer to teams like Detroit. It'd still be wonky, but not as crazy as having the whole state of Florida cut off from the rest of their division.

I really doubt Gary Bettman will be willing to relocate a team if he has the option, though.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Yea that is really strange to have the two Florida teams cut off from the rest of the division.

Having a team in Vegas would really give me a sour taste. I can see it playing out just like it did in Atlanta. Lots of people will flock to the games for the first 2 years or so, and then attendance will drop off, becoming essentially a home game for the visiting team.
I intend to live forever, or die trying