PlayStation TV

Sony discussion, including PS3, PS4, Vita, PS VR, PlayStation Network, PlayStation Mobile, PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, PlayStation TV, and Trophies.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: PlayStation TV

Post by Kong Wen »

The PS Blog has a new post on PS TV with an official North American release date of 14 October. It mostly confirms what we already know about the system, including:
  • Plays compatible Vita games (where control/interface isn't an obstacle) including digital games and physical Vita cards.
  • Plays PSN games compatible with Vita, including digital PSP games and PSOne Classics.
  • Plays PS3 games via PS Now.
  • Plays PS4 games via Remote Play.
One little piece of text raised a red flag for me, though. The blog says we can "use Remote Play to stream a remote play enabled PS4 game from your console to a PS TV over a wired internet connection." Remote Play usually works via wifi as well on normal Vita units, so I wonder if this is an error, a strong recommendation, or a new requirement (maybe they canned the wifi in the hardware for space or price constraints?). If it's wired only, I may have to cancel my pre-order.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

I saw that wired wording used on another site as well (though likely they just lifted it from here). That's definitely concerning. That's what it says, though...what a horrible product design decision if they did that...
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Sharecrow wrote:I saw that wired wording used on another site as well (though likely they just lifted it from here). That's definitely concerning. That's what it says, though...what a horrible product design decision if they did that...
Just got clarification from the Sony guy on the blog that it also works with wifi. It's been out in Japan for a year or so and it uses wifi there, too. So that's good news.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Did yours come with three electronic games like the European ones have or will? That may be something I end up getting for my kids room either way - just curious.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Sharecrow wrote:Did yours come with three electronic games like the European ones have or will? That may be something I end up getting for my kids room either way - just curious.
No. The basic $99 edition comes with no games, and the $139 edition I got comes with a download code for Lego: The Movie: The Video Game or whatever. (Plus an 8GB card and a PS3 controller.)
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

Kong Wen wrote:
Sharecrow wrote:Did yours come with three electronic games like the European ones have or will? That may be something I end up getting for my kids room either way - just curious.
No. The basic $99 edition comes with no games, and the $139 edition I got comes with a download code for Lego: The Movie: The Video Game or whatever. (Plus an 8GB card and a PS3 controller.)
If I had money for the bundle, I would sell the Lego Movie: The Video Game and replace it with something like Gravity Rush instead.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

kitroplious wrote:If I had money for the bundle, I would sell the Lego Movie: The Video Game and replace it with something like Gravity Rush instead.
Gravity Rush isn't currently compatible because of all the touch & tilt controls (although I don't know what happens if you try to download and play it... it might let you, and you just get stuck not being able to control it. I should test that out.)

I got my PSTV setup last night, updated to the new firmware, and got Lego downloaded. I'm probably going to take it for a full test drive tonight, including some Netflix streaming from the PS4 in the basement via Remote Play.
squishy
Hyrule Warrior

Post by squishy »

Just grabbed the PSTV bundle with Lego Movie Videogame and the Dualshock 3 for $49. Downloaded Chaos Rings off PSMobile since its shutting down and that was the only thing I saw that looked interesting. Any suggestions on games to look into? I like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. Mostly I game on Nintendo systems, so this is for the few things I can't get there. Looking at getting the PSOne FF games soon too.