Metroid Prime Universe

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Metroid Prime Universe

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

With discussions going on elsewhere about Metroid Prime: Federation Force (MP:FF), a game 'set in the Metroid Prime Universe' (MPU), I was wondering what you think a game in the MPU should be like.
Currently there are 5 games published with Metroid Prime in the title:
  1. Metroid Prime : the first game of the trilogy that features Samus on a planet facing Space Pirates and other creatures. It ends with a fight against Metroid Prime.
  2. Metroid Prime 2 Echoes: the second game of the trilogy, again with Samus on a planet facing Space Pirates and other creatures. The game also features (dead) soldiers of the Galactic Federation and Dark Samus, a new enemy that Samus has to fight multiple times and even in the third entry of the trilogy.
  3. Metroid Prime Pinball : first spin off for the DS where you control Samus (rolled up and sometimes standing) in a pinball setting. Scenery is taken from the first MP game.
  4. Metroid Prime Hunters : second spin off for the DS where the solo campaign centers around Samus facing other bounty hunters (like herself) in different locations. The multi-player option lets you play as any of the hunters.
  5. Metroid Prime 3 Corruption : the third game of the trilogy with Samus as main character. This time facing Dark Samus, Space Pirates, other creatures, as well as (corrupted) hunters that have been allies before. Samus has to travel to different locations in this game (opposed to a single planet in the first two titles) and gets support/orders from soldiers of the Galactic Federation.
The games have Space Pirates, Galactic Force and diverse small creatures located on planets or space ships .. is this what defines the MPU? Samus has always been in each game to 'explore' these locations and fight the enemy. Now in MP:FF it's said she'll make a cameo (or something), but isn't a playable character. MP:FF does feature Galactic Force and Space Pirates (and/or other creatures?) in different locations. Is this enough to make it a MPU game?

Personally, I'm not sold on the game just yet (only because of the type of the game), but I guess it's a MPU game (as ugly as it is). Launch day is still far away and more details of the game will probably get released to maybe sway opinions about the game.

Back to the main question for this thread: What do you think a game in the MPU should be like?
Grt. Merlin

The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Metroid Prime Universe

Post by The Shoemaker »

I suppose any MP game from here on is likely to include Samus, Space Pirates and the Federation. FF is very obviously in the universe of the previous games, the problem is the gameplay and the style. It's hard to relate these chibi Federation guys to the actual troops we've seen in previous games, so the art style of the game does make it hard to see it as one of those games.

The main complaint is the gameplay, which looks doesn't look too Metroid-like. Since you aren't Samus you likely lose a lot of the abilities that come with being Samus like Morph Balling and Gravity Jump ect. It also has a focus on multiplayer co-op, which is the opposite of what traditional Metroid is. It also looks to focus more on action than exploration.

We'll see how it turns out, but from what they've showed so far it doesn't look amazing. In universe yeah, but the game itself doesn't look great.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

The complaints and vitriol over the graphical style (which reminds me of Jet Force Gemini) seem very much in line with the complaints and vitriol poured onto Wind Waker when it's timeless cell shaded style made all the big boys who like to pretend their hobby is a serious thing for serious adults cry.

Years later that game is regarded as a classic. I'm not really sure why this take on the MPU should offend people any more than MP: Pinball's reinvention of the first game did.
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

A Beta Fu7ure wrote:The complaints and vitriol over the graphical style (which reminds me of Jet Force Gemini) seem very much in line with the complaints and vitriol poured onto Wind Waker when it's timeless cell shaded style made all the big boys who like to pretend their hobby is a serious thing for serious adults cry.

Years later that game is regarded as a classic. I'm not really sure why this take on the MPU should offend people any more than MP: Pinball's reinvention of the first game did.
There is a lot of crying over the graphics, but I think that's just one item on a long list of grievances that people have about these new Metroid games. Metroid Pinball got a pass because the Metroid franchise was going strong a the time. A year before pinball we had Echoes and Zero Mission, a year later Hunters. Throwing a spinoff out during that doesn't really annoy anybody. Now today we're 5 years on since the last Metroid game (8 years if you only look at Prime games) and Nintendo has been historically mum about the franchise (even skipping its birthday!). So here we have Nintendo finally addressing concerns that the fanbase was feeling ignored by releasing a soccer game and a coop shooter. Obviously that is going to annoy people who have some expectations from the franchise. Could you imagine if Konami decided to finally make a Silent Hill game themselves again after 11 years, but instead turns it into a pachinko machine?

And no, nobody is going to look at this game 10 years from now and realize it was actually beautiful like some stalwarts did with Windwaker. Just look at this. Look at it! It probably reminds you of Jet Force Gemeni because JFG is an ugly N64 game.
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

Spore wrote:
A Beta Fu7ure wrote:
And no, nobody is going to look at this game 10 years from now and realize it was actually beautiful like some stalwarts did with Windwaker. Just look at this. Look at it! It probably reminds you of Jet Force Gemeni because JFG is an ugly N64 game.
That isn't really what I was suggesting. The timeless quality of WW's graphical stlyle was merely another benefit that upset serious gamers failed to appreciate at the time it was previewed. It does seem, though that the Chibi style graphics seem to be making a lot of youtuber's cry because it reminds them that their games aren't the big boy pursuits they like to pretend they are. Very similar to to fan reaction over Wind Waker's unveiling and all the "bla, bla, Link should be dark and an adult and there should be blood everywhere" that ultimately forced Nintendo to pump out the boring Twilight Princess as a response.

Maybe we'll get a swearing Samus in lingerie severing the heads of Space Pirates in the next "proper" Metroid game as an overcompensating response. (Justin Bailey has a lot to answer for) or people could actually give this game a chance and accept that like the numerous Mario spin-offs that have been released over the year, there is actually a chance that it might be decent (How many people honestly thought Super Mario Kart was going to be anything but a cynical cash-in when they first heard about it?).

It seems to me that the Metroid series has never really been viewed as a system seller by Nintendo, though (to the extent that they farmed Prime out to a third party and discontinued the Wii Trilogy re-release after barely any time at all), so I'm not sure why it should surprise anyone that the sparseness of main series entries continues. In terms of Key franchises, they seem to regard it as slightly above Pikmin.
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

A Beta Fu7ure wrote: That isn't really what I was suggesting. The timeless quality of WW's graphical stlyle was merely another benefit that upset serious gamers failed to appreciate at the time it was previewed. It does seem, though that the Chibi style graphics seem to be making a lot of youtuber's cry because it reminds them that their games aren't the big boy pursuits they like to pretend they are. Very similar to to fan reaction over Wind Waker's unveiling and all the "bla, bla, Link should be dark and an adult and there should be blood everywhere" that ultimately forced Nintendo to pump out the boring Twilight Princess as a response.
I think that's deflecting why people are annoyed about this game. People can't say something looks terrible if it changes the art style? And you think everybody who is bashing this game are sitting back thinking "Well, at least I have Call of Dudebro 12"? Plenty of cutesy Nintendo games still sell with this demographic. Nobody was asking why Mario didn't look like a grizzled space marine in Mario Galaxy. You can do stylizing and have people still like it. You can even do cartoony stylizing and have people still like it. What proportion of internet complainers are mad about how Zelda Wii U is looking? Very few because that game looks great. This game looks bad. It looks bad graphically and stylistically. If this was an iPhone game that literally used all the same assets except for the game name it would still look bad. The fact that we're 8 years on from a Prime title just amplifies the obvious disappointment. There's nothing wrong with watching a trailer and thinking the game looks bad. Mind you this game is also somehow from the people that brought us the beautiful Punch-Out Wii. That's more or less irrelevant, but it stings, man.
A Beta Fu7ure wrote: Maybe we'll get a swearing Samus in lingerie severing the heads of Space Pirates in the next "proper" Metroid game as an overcompensating response. (Justin Bailey has a lot to answer for) or people could actually give this game a chance and accept that like the numerous Mario spin-offs that have been released over the year, there is actually a chance that it might be decent (How many people honestly thought Super Mario Kart was going to be anything but a cynical cash-in when they first heard about it?).
And this is when your argument just starts to sound angry. People don't want extremes in either direction. The closest the series got to this vision was Other M which sexified Samus even more and had her doing take downs on monsters (in between weird character exposition). Even Metroid fans practically pretend this doesn't exist. There is a chance this game might be decent, sure. But why not ask what the chance is that the game will be great? Just look at the footage Nintendo has currently shown us to base our opinions on and say it looks great without using the words "It might be". Nobody wants to wait 8 years for a decent game. Now, Metroid fans have historically not known what they want. After all people freaked out when Prime turned out to be an FPS, but at least it looked like a good game throwing away the sanctity of the franchise.

I guess in short... what I'm trying to say is... It doesn't look like a good game! Metroid or otherwise! The developers have libraries worth of criticism over the small bit they've shown, so we'll see what they do in the future unless P.V.A.R.F.F raids their offices. But what we have now quite frankly looks sucky. That's roughly where the argument begins and ends.

Edit: And there is a Nintendo made team based shooter which stars big headed kids with big adorable eyes that is so laughably non-violent that everybody uses glorified paintball guns and it's doing very well. I wonder what the difference between it and Federation Force is?
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Spore wrote: Mind you this game is also somehow from the people that brought us the beautiful Punch-Out Wii. That's more or less irrelevant, but it stings, man.
And on the 3DS front they also made the gorgeous Luigi's Mansion Dark moon which not only looked good graphically, but stylisticly. I trust that Next-level will make a fine game, I'm not going to say that this is going to be a bad game. But, from what I've seen it looks to be a little on the generic side when it comes to visual flair and gameplay. We haven't seen much of the game beyond co-op shooting.

I don't think we'd see as big of an outburst if we had gotten news of a traditional Metroid as well, because it's been 5-8 years since we've gotten one. I don't think the Wind Waker comparison holds up, because Wind Waker at least looked good if you liked the art style, and looked pretty traditional. But we will see. I have the game pre-ordered (because it was 30% off) but I'm really going to wait for reviews and more footage before I buy into this one.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Wind Waker difference to previous Zelda games doesn't compare with the difference between FF and previous MP games (or even Metroid games). WW was still a Zelda game at its core, just a different graphical style. FF is nothing like previous Metroid games, where MP still held the 'essence' of the 2D Metroid games.
Anyway, I'm not into arena style coop shooting games and certainly not in any soccer type games .. so there really has to be a really great single player part to FF if they want to get me interested. As for the graphical style .. could be worse, but I thought JFG looked ok on N64. For a 3DS I would expect something better though.

Question of this thread was if FF fits in the MPU ... that's something we'll probably only know when it's getting released.
Grt. Merlin

The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

MerlinDrazziw wrote:Wind Waker difference to previous Zelda games doesn't compare with the difference between FF and previous MP games (or even Metroid games). WW was still a Zelda game at its core, just a different graphical style. FF is nothing like previous Metroid games, where MP still held the 'essence' of the 2D Metroid games.
Anyway, I'm not into arena style coop shooting games and certainly not in any soccer type games .. so there really has to be a really great single player part to FF if they want to get me interested. As for the graphical style .. could be worse, but I thought JFG looked ok on N64. For a 3DS I would expect something better though.

Question of this thread was if FF fits in the MPU ... that's something we'll probably only know when it's getting released.
Honestly it is hard for it to fit in the universe with its chibi art style. It literally doesn't match the previous games in the series. Because of that I do feel like this game will always be viewed as a sequel and a not so important part of the prime universe. But we will see, maybe the story will surprise us.