Satoru Iwata

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: Satoru Iwata

Post by SkyPikachu »

This was on reddit and I thought it was pretty cool.

It's also the ending of super mario galaxy (I hadn't finished the game and got spoiled) so I'll put the link in spoiler tags.
Spoiler
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

I'm sad for his family and friends but honestly as mean as this might seen I barely knew the guy and sure he worked on some nintendo games but so did many other nintendo people. Dying at 55 (i think it was 55 don't hold me on that) is way to young though and does suck.

My question on this though is short term wise and long term wise how does this effect Nintendo?

Does this give nintendo the chance for a "fresh" new look? Could that be a good or bad thing.

I guess we won't know until it happens I'm sure though that Iwata had a massive impact on the company though.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Slurmee wrote:I'm sad for his family and friends but honestly as mean as this might seen I barely knew the guy and sure he worked on some nintendo games but so did many other nintendo people. Dying at 55 (i think it was 55 don't hold me on that) is way to young though and does suck.

My question on this though is short term wise and long term wise how does this effect Nintendo?

Does this give nintendo the chance for a "fresh" new look? Could that be a good or bad thing.

I guess we won't know until it happens I'm sure though that Iwata had a massive impact on the company though.
I think the company was right in the middle of a shift with the NX, Universal and DNA deals. I'm sure the company will continue on with Iwata's vision in regards to these pillars.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Nintendo has appointed their new President, Tatsumi Kimishima. He's held a lot of high-level management positions with the company through the past fifteen years, joining Nintendo in 2000 as Representative Director of The Pokémon Company. He was apparently also CEO of Nintendo America.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

The also changed around some company divisions and roles, with Miyamoto having a higher role, and merging hardware development and OS development together, and merging EAD with another group to include all levels of software development, adding smartphones into the mix.

I wish all the best to the new president.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I don't like how they're shifting toward mobile. I hope they're just dipping their toes. I don't want to see them make this a major focus of the company. I understand that for profit margins and stockholders, they want to do this in order to keep the business strong.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote:I don't like how they're shifting toward mobile. I hope they're just dipping their toes. I don't want to see them make this a major focus of the company. I understand that for profit margins and stockholders, they want to do this in order to keep the business strong.
Well at the same time they also made a new business division dedicated towards traditional gaming hardware. I think we'll just see them integrate smartphones in more, at the moment they have only 5 mobile titles planned for 2015-2016.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:I wish all the best to the new president.
Worth noting that he's 65 years old. If he hasn't been make explicitly aware, I'm sure he at least realizes that he's fully intended as a transitional president. The other organizational changes are evidence that Nintendo is trying to mix things up (reasonably so). My prediction is they'll have a new president and a new organizational mandate inside of 5 years (possibly loosely coinciding with new hardware).
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:I wish all the best to the new president.
Worth noting that he's 65 years old. If he hasn't been make explicitly aware, I'm sure he at least realizes that he's fully intended as a transitional president. The other organizational changes are evidence that Nintendo is trying to mix things up (reasonably so). My prediction is they'll have a new president and a new organizational mandate inside of 5 years (possibly loosely coinciding with new hardware).
Totally. I can't back up my statement at the moment, but I read that he's currently only signed on for a one year term.