Round 4, in which we forget the sabbath

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2015-16 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.

What 1-3 games should advance to Round 5?

Poll ended at 11 Oct 2015 00:51

1986 - Metroid - NES
17%
1987 - Final Fantasy - NES
10%
1992 - Mortal Kombat - Arcade
4%
1993 - Kirby's Adventure - NES
10%
1994 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Genesis/MD
12%
1997 - Azure Dreams - PS1
2%
2008 - Mega Man 9 - Multiplatform
25%
2010 - Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - Vita
8%
2011 - Super Mario 3D Land - 3DS
13%

Total votes: 52

Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Re: Round 4, in which we forget the sabbath

Post by Claytone »

Mega Man 9 will get my sole vote, no question. There are plenty of other good games in this bracket, but there are no other great games. I consider MM9 a real mastery of the Mega Man craft, and I love that it included plenty of content and challenges to keep me playing it long beyond the shelf-life of its NES predecessors. I think MM3 or MM2 might be better games, but MM9 was the one I spent the most time with because of said incentives. Lovely game.
You got BOOST power!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Claytone wrote:Mega Man 9 will get my sole vote, no question. There are plenty of other good games in this bracket, but there are no other great games. I consider MM9 a real mastery of the Mega Man craft, and I love that it included plenty of content and challenges to keep me playing it long beyond the shelf-life of its NES predecessors. I think MM3 or MM2 might be better games, but MM9 was the one I spent the most time with because of said incentives. Lovely game.
I think MM9 was an all around great surprise. I don't think anyone expecting Capcom to make another retro MM that was as good as the originals. It was actually my first MM game, I remember I tried Concrete Man first and it took me about 100 tries to actually beat the level. By the end I had it memorized. Magma Man was always a bitch.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Humphries90

Post by Humphries90 »

Have any of you played Azure Dreams before?
Niahak

Post by Niahak »

Azure Dreams is interesting, fun, and relaxing... but I'd hesitate to vote for it simply because it becomes very grindy about 15 hours in (where you'll be searching for red/blue upgrade materials for your weapon and shield, while trying to level up monsters as you go). Up until that point it's a really fun roguelike with a pretty good amount of variety to it. The townspeople interactions keep things feeling fresh, but they also become less interesting when you hit that point (around floor 20 from what I remember).

I don't usually enjoy roguelikes, though, so that's definitely a point in Azure Dreams' favor. It helps that its gradual progression mechanics are much more forgiving than most.
Forscyvus
Aspirant

Post by Forscyvus »

ALL TRASH

(aka I've barely played any of these)
lol hello
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Mega Man 9, Metroid, and Super Mario 3D Land will advance to Round 5.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming