Top 128: 1/16 - Bracket Prime

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2015-16 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.

What 4 games should advance into the Top 64?

Poll ended at 18 Nov 2015 17:22

1 - Metroid Prime - 2002 - GCN
19%
32 - Mario Kart 8 - 2014 - Wii U
13%
33 - Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 2012 - 3DS
10%
64 - Super Mario Sunshine - 2002 - GCN
12%
65 - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask [3D] - 2000 - N64/3DS
12%
96 - Dragon Warrior - 1986 - NES
12%
97 - The Magic of Scheherazade - 1987 - NES
4%
128 - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening [DX] - 1993 - GB/GBC
16%

Total votes: 67

This Old Neon
Administrator

Top 128: 1/16 - Bracket Prime

Post by This Old Neon »

Welcome to the "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project Top 128 Brackets!

You can vote for 1-4 games in this bracket. Vote carefully—you can't change your votes after submitting them. The top 4 games at the end of the week will advance to the Top 64.

1 - Metroid Prime - 2002 - GCN
32 - Mario Kart 8 - 2014 - Wii U
33 - Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 2012 - 3DS
64 - Super Mario Sunshine - 2002 - GCN
65 - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask [3D] - 2000 - N64/3DS
96 - Dragon Warrior - 1986 - NES
97 - The Magic of Scheherazade - 1987 - NES
128 - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening [DX] - 1993 - GB/GBC

You are encouraged to discuss your choices and your reasons for selecting the games you did.
Niahak

Re: Top 128: 1/16 - Bracket Prime

Post by Niahak »

Haven't voted yet, but I'm tempted to vote for just Mario Kart 8, since it's the best Kart game since 64 (and I think the best ever, to be honest).

I like Dragon Warrior's legacy but have yet to play the actual game.

Scheherezade I remember liking as an early action-RPG, but although I tracked down a copy I don't have an NES to play it...
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Top 128 and I'm abstaining. Interesting.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote:Top 128 and I'm abstaining. Interesting.
It can happen when a game you're not interested in sucks up a high seed and ranks against some lower stuff.

In this bracket, though, I happen to like some of the lower stuff. Dragon Warrior, in particular, is a powerhouse of early video RPGs.

The Magic of Scheherazade is a crazy game. Culture Brain was good at mashing completely different stuff together and somehow coming away with good games. I'm not sure if I'm going to vote for it, but it would be in my top 4 in this bracket.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Great games here, I couldn't pick Mario Kart 8 though. It's a good game and my play time with it was greatly extended with the forum here, but I still think it's a bit bare bones. Also comes down to me having fantasic experiences with Mario Sunshine, Majora's Mask, Metroid Prime and Animal Crossing New Leaf.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Okay, I wanted to weigh in here on my votes.

Metroid Prime was a gorgeous and engaging entry and, surprisingly due to my age and how much I've played in my life, the first Metroid game I ever played. It's not quite on par with Fusion and it is a totally different take on the gameplay and exploration, but it works oh so well. I know some are put off by the scanning and reading, but that made it even better for me.

For Animal Crossing: New Leaf, I must admit I have not played this game but I know that the variability in Animal Crossing entries is pretty low. They are Animal Crossing games with little tweaks here and there. I only played the original and the DS one. These games have a way of becoming a part of your daily life in a way that few games can. I've mentioned this somewhere before but I'll never forget when I was playing the DS one and I had to work overseas for a few weeks, and was working crazy hours (often more than 100 a week), i couldn't bring myself to change the clock on my town because - well, just because I had flown somewhere doesn't mean my town moved! It made it tough for me to get stuff done but I still tried in my odd spare moments when I wasn't working or asleep. I could seldom get to the shop at all due to the time difference. Good times.

Super Mario Sunshine is the best Mario game I've ever played and the best platformer I've ever played. I scoured this game and loved ever minute of it and getting ever collectible - even the frustrating ones.

Dragon Warrior is one of the weakest games in the series, in my opinion, but still well-loved by me. I played it again a couple years ago or so and still had a blast. I'm sure I've beaten it no less than twenty times.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Mario Kart 8
The best Mario kart title and my favorite Wii U title it feels amazing and Nintendo did great with it. It's probably noted that this is the first Mario kart game I played more than 5-6 hours of.

New Leaf
This was my first animal crossing game so I have nothing to compare it to but I played this game 3-6 hours a day for a good 3 months straight. I adored this game and I loved my little town.
Drumble doesn't respect the sigs so here's a link to my backloggery
Humphries90

Post by Humphries90 »

Loads of great games, but I've only sunk enough time into New Leaf (300 damn hours) and Mario Kart 8.

Prime is still on my "to do" list as I have the Prime Trilogy. As is Majora's Mask 3D.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I decided to cast a sole vote for Dragon Warrior. In contrast to Sharecrow, I consider it one of the stronger games in the series. It's stripped down to the essentials. It doesn't have bells & whistles like party mechanics and detailed plotting, but it does have beautiful, colorful sprites, strong music, and a relatively simple "go here do this" quest line that set the stage for the knights & dragons RPG tropes on consoles. Highly influential, both to me personally and to the industry as a whole.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Metroid Prime, Mario Kart 8, and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening [DX] have secured places in the Top 64.

A tie-breaker between Super Mario Sunshine, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask [3D], and Dragon Warrior will be posted soon.