Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Post by The Shoemaker »

kitroplious wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:They announced one of these games for the 3DS VC on Saturday so some people thought Takamaru would show up in Smash in some way or form, looks like they were right!
Yeah, Mysterious Murasame Castle... released on the European 3DS VC at the end of May, and coming here on August 7th.
Sounds like it was just Smash Bros. fans once again taking every tiny piece of Nintendo news as a hint towards something in Smash ;)
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

It was nice to hear / see announcements from Nintendo on other games during the Nintendo Challenge coverage during the weekend at Comic-Con, than just Smash Bros. and other game challenges by Nintendo / video game industry representatives, fans.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

Coming from Sakurai...

Pic of the day. For the first time ever in the Super Smash Bros. series, here's a Paper Mario stage! It's made of paper, so strong winds will blow it away.

[kitroplious note: an additional screen (may have been in an earlier "Pic of the day" post)]

Since the stage is paper, it transforms when it folds over and opens up again. This ship is the S.S. Flavion from Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door.
Last edited by kitroplious on 29 Jul 2014 08:17, edited 2 times in total.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Everyone is hyped for the new stuff. I am sticking with Luigi. Not much else to say.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

That Paper mario stage is awesome! And it looks quite colourful on the 3DS. I always thought Smash needed more Paper Mario representation. I hope it also makes a transformation into the N64 and Wii game as well, go through each entry.
Kreegs wrote:Everyone is hyped for the new stuff. I am sticking with Luigi. Not much else to say.
Haha we'll see how far Luigi gets you when the game comes out ;)

Luigi has always been a decent character, but I've never been more than decent with him haha. I hope all of the characters got a little bit of an upgrade every if it's not a new move. I want to see what Ike feels like.
evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

Still hoping for a playable non-clone Paper Mario. But a Paper Mario stage is the next best thing.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

evildevil97 wrote:Still hoping for a playable non-clone Paper Mario. But a Paper Mario stage is the next best thing.
A non-clone is exceedingly unlikely, but a Paper Mario costume/skin could be possible.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
evildevil97 wrote:Still hoping for a playable non-clone Paper Mario. But a Paper Mario stage is the next best thing.
A non-clone is exceedingly unlikely, but a Paper Mario costume/skin could be possible.
Is that because you think there are too many Mario reps, lack of a potential unique moveset, or too late in the game to be announcing such a character?

I think if they made Paper Mario a costume for Mario it would be too underwhelming. Unless they added the paper effect where Mario flips and turns, but if they put that much effort into the costume they may as well go out and make it an original character.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:Is that because you think there are too many Mario reps, lack of a potential unique moveset, or too late in the game to be announcing such a character?

I think if they made Paper Mario a costume for Mario it would be too underwhelming. Unless they added the paper effect where Mario flips and turns, but if they put that much effort into the costume they may as well go out and make it an original character.
I think the stage, much like assist trophies, acts as a kind of consolation prize. I think there could be a unique moveset, but I just don't see an impetus for adding a sub-Mario character. It's not like the 3DS Paper Mario was a huge game for them. It's not really a limelight character. I guess I just think it would be too underwhelming for them to bother wasting a roster spot on.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:Is that because you think there are too many Mario reps, lack of a potential unique moveset, or too late in the game to be announcing such a character?

I think the stage, much like assist trophies, acts as a kind of consolation prize. I think there could be a unique moveset, but I just don't see an impetus for adding a sub-Mario character. It's not like the 3DS Paper Mario was a huge game for them. It's not really a limelight character. I guess I just think it would be too underwhelming for them to bother wasting a roster spot on.
I think that's what the stage is as well, same situation as the Animal Crossing stage from Brawl. And Paper Mario as a franchise has sold a good few million, the newest one sold over a million copies for sure, and I think the Wii version sold a couple million itself. I would say it's a more relavent brand than Punch-Out!!, but I don't think Paper Mario should get in on that alone.

I think he would be an interesting character visually because all of the different paper moves and partners he could use, but I just don`t think it`s likely. The Mario RPG side of Nintendo definitely needs to be represented, but we don`t need more than one Mario and at this point I`d rather see more series diversity. If anything they should have changed Mario`s Final Smash to something that represents all of his video game roles; from RPG to sports. Sort of like Mega Man`s Final Smash.

On a side note, I would really like to see a Paper Mario Amiibo.