Could we have a Best Gen 7 Game Ever Project?

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2015-16 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Could we have a Best Gen 7 Game Ever Project?

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:I guess it depends how you classify games. Would you consider Assasians Creed IV and Watchdogs gen 7 or 8? Both came out on last gen and current gen consoles.
Well, as we know, "generations" are largely arbitrary marketing categorizations. There's a lot of grey area, and these transitional cross-platform, cross-gen games are a big one.

Most of the BGE side-events are usually categorized along more objective lines, such as release years or year ranges, consoles/platforms, possibly developer/publishers, etc. As we've seen before, even something like genre gets sticky when trying to narrow down the list of games.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

Cross-gen games should be considered last generation imo.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

TheGreatNads wrote:Cross-gen games should be considered last generation imo.
I agree except in the rare instances of games that are developed for later-gen hardware and then back-ported.
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

In reference to Twilight Princess. The game was developed for GC, so at heart, I'd say it is a GC game despite the reshuffled release schedule. All this "Generation 7" stuff goes over my head. I still think in terms of bits. :lol:
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

A Beta Fu7ure wrote:In reference to Twilight Princess. The game was developed for GC, so at heart, I'd say it is a GC game despite the reshuffled release schedule. All this "Generation 7" stuff goes over my head. I still think in terms of bits. :lol:
The generation stuff doesn't even exist anymore (in my mind). I don't see a significant difference on the new consoles.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

kitroplious wrote:
A Beta Fu7ure wrote:In reference to Twilight Princess. The game was developed for GC, so at heart, I'd say it is a GC game despite the reshuffled release schedule. All this "Generation 7" stuff goes over my head. I still think in terms of bits. :lol:
The generation stuff doesn't even exist anymore (in my mind). I don't see a significant difference on the new consoles.
That's because the last generation just ended and the current one just started. You can see a significant difference between PS3 & X360 launch titles and PS4 & X1 launch titles. The "generation stuff" also still exists as a marketing categorization technique, which is what its primary purpose has always been.

Games like The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess simply demonstrate how fluid the concept is.
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

kitroplious wrote:
This kind of confusion isn't new. Was the Atari Jaguar a significant step up from the SNES? How about the "32 bit" Virtual Boy? Where does it fit? (insert joke about unwieldiness of the VB here).
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

Kong Wen wrote:That's because the last generation just ended and the current one just started. You can see a significant difference between PS3 & X360 launch titles and PS4 & X1 launch titles. The "generation stuff" also still exists as a marketing categorization technique, which is what its primary purpose has always been.
I meant from a graphical standpoint and/or its features. Maybe just the "sharing content / live [recording] stream feature"; that's about it. Maybe it's just me when comparing the PS3/PS4; XB360 / XBOX One.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

kitroplious wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:That's because the last generation just ended and the current one just started. You can see a significant difference between PS3 & X360 launch titles and PS4 & X1 launch titles. The "generation stuff" also still exists as a marketing categorization technique, which is what its primary purpose has always been.
I meant from a graphical standpoint and/or its features. Maybe just the "sharing content / live [recording] stream feature"; that's about it. Maybe it's just me when comparing the PS3/PS4; XB360 / XBOX One.
I only have two PS4 games but I can confidently say they would not look nearly as good on a PS3 if they were available on that console. But, to Kong's point, that difference will stand out even more as the PS4 console matures and as developers learn how to best leverage the new horsepower. I'm just talking graphics here. Haven't done streaming or any of that.
Should I live my life a lie?
Could I be less alive?
Shall I bask in God's light?
Shall I fall one more time?
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

Well I'm okay with what happens on the BGE!!! Project. I'm more into having battle of the remakes [Pokémon HeartGold, SoulSilver, among others] of past games as a side event, rather than having a best gen of any sort, since games can be on multiple new and old consoles, and not liking the idea of the "generation" term.