Hearthstone

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Re: Hearthstone

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

Kong Wen wrote: Are there cards that are pay-exclusive, or do you have the chance to randomly get any single card just through regular play? It would be pretty sketchy if they held back some of the good cards for booster packs that you have to buy.
I haven't paid a single cent so far and all cards are available to you.
You start with a fixed set of basic cards and unlock additional class-specific cards aswell as golden basics by leveling.
Most other cards are in the regular packs you unlock for 100 Gold (in-game currency) or certain achievements (Common/Rare/Epic/Legendary)
Another set of cards is unlocked by playing the campaign. Each campaign chapter can be unlocked for 700 G.
You can also craft cards by turning exess cards (you cannot trade with others) into dust and use it to unlock cards.

Each day you get a random quest which gives you 40-100 G, plus 10 G for every 3 wins in play mode (ranked or unranked). Up to three quests can be active at the same time.

Finally, for 150 G entry fee you can enter the Arena. Here you create a deck from randomized cards (not yours) and play until you lose 3 times. The more wins you get, the better the rewards (incl. cards, card packs, gold and dust). Usually you need ~three wins to get out more than you invested.
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
Jelly
Beans
Beans

Post by Jelly »

Thanks for telling me about the arena! This is now my favorite part of the game, since no player gets the optimal kind of deck they're used to. I had great fun and success with my mage run (well, 2 wins..)
Jelly
Beans
Beans

Post by Jelly »

I'll admit to having spent some real money on the arena mode.. (Spending money on F2P games is shameful for some reason..) It really isn't feasible to do that regularly, as it would cost like $30+ a month to play an arena session a day.

It really annoys me that I find this mode to be the most enjoyable aspect of the game. I wish there was a battle mode where you get to select randomized cards that you could play against your friends.

I wonder if there is a way to regularly play the arena without spending money. I'm thinking that one could create 2 more accounts and do the daily quests on them for arena admission, but the downside is that the cards you win get split between different accounts, and there is a bit too much time investment to just play the game as I'd like..
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I wouldn't feel overly bad about spending money on the game. It may be F2P but it's still a CCG. Just set your limits. I haven't spent anything yet, but if it continues to impress, I'll allow myself up to a full game's cost in purchases.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote:I wouldn't feel overly bad about spending money on the game. It may be F2P but it's still a CCG. Just set your limits. I haven't spent anything yet, but if it continues to impress, I'll allow myself up to a full game's cost in purchases.
That's fine if you're talking about one-time purchases, like cards for your collection or something. But it is kind of sad to have to pay each time you want to access a particular game mode.

Jelly, you'll just have to get better and win all your entry fee back every time! :)
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Keep in mind the arena mode is built around a real-life CCG variant where people battle by building decks from (I think usually five) blind booster packs. Obviously in that case the reward is five packs of cards at minimum, but it's also far more costly. At 150 coins, it's something you can expect to play every other day or so for free, and the rewards are based on performance, so I think it's actually a pretty fair setup.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Turai
Aspirant

Post by Turai »

You get gold by playing, which are used to buy booster packs, the exact same ones that you buy with real money.

The only pay exclusive cards are promotional cards for things like Blizzcon, but the only exclusive part is their gold coloration, normal version is available to all through said booster packs, so it's purely cosmetic.

Damn, I haven't played Heartstone for months, I wonder if anything changed since then.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Turai wrote:Damn, I haven't played Heartstone for months, I wonder if anything changed since then.
It's going through something of a renaissance here right now. Maybe it's a good time to get back into it. :) We're all on the EU servers, too.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

May be a good moment to post our tags then.

KiwitheTorto#2909

Screw character limits!
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
Jelly
Beans
Beans

Post by Jelly »

I got my first legendary card from an expert pack! I won't tell you, you'll eventually see it in battle! :D

My code is Jelly #2589