Round 5: Dancer's Bracket

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2015-16 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.

What 4 games should advance to Round 6?

Poll ended at 20 Oct 2015 17:58

1982 - Ms. Pac-Man - Arcade
16%
1986 - The Legend of Zelda - NES
17%
1997 - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - PS1
22%
2000 - Paper Mario - N64
17%
2000 - Vagrant Story - PS1
9%
2005 - Ibara - Arcade/PS2
3%
2006 - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Wii/GCN
12%
2010 - Vanquish - Multiplatform
3%
2011 - Dynasty Warriors 7 - PS3
No votes
2012 - Mass Effect 3 - PC
No votes

Total votes: 58

SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: Round 5: Dancer's Bracket

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:I thought Thousand Year Door and Super Paper Mario were just as great as the original.
Oooh, that's not a good sign. Super Paper Mario is pretty awful. I was hoping to spend some more time with the earlier entries, but I'll pass if they're anything like that turd.
I've heard otherwise.
Drumble doesn't respect the sigs so here's a link to my backloggery
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:I thought Thousand Year Door and Super Paper Mario were just as great as the original.
Oooh, that's not a good sign. Super Paper Mario is pretty awful. I was hoping to spend some more time with the earlier entries, but I'll pass if they're anything like that turd.
I've heard otherwise.
I have, too. That's pretty much the only reason I considered going back to them.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
It's not similar, just similar in quality, which is subjective to your enjoyment :p Thousand Year Door is very much like the original, but better in my opinion, just a natural evolution.

Super Paper Mario is awesome, but it's not really an RPG, I guess more of an action/adventure game. Hilarious dialogue, great music, lots of secrets to be found due to switching from 2D to 3D. My favourite part in that game was when you get
Spoiler
a game over and you're basically sent to hell and you have to fight your way out.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:It's not similar, just similar in quality, which is subjective to your enjoyment :p Thousand Year Door is very much like the original, but better in my opinion, just a natural evolution.

Super Paper Mario is awesome, but it's not really an RPG, I guess more of an action/adventure game. Hilarious dialogue, great music, lots of secrets to be found due to switching from 2D to 3D. My favourite part in that game was when you get
Spoiler
a game over and you're basically sent to hell and you have to fight your way out.
Yeah, in that case I think a lot of my problem with the game will be specific to that genre change (the game's platforming focus). I found the gameplay really sluggish, and the progression of the game as a whole quite slow. It was a weak platformer and a weak RPG, so their intended mix didn't work well. I also thought the 3D gimmick/mechanic, in practice, was limited to a "is there something here?" switch. It just felt tired and cumbersome.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Paper Mario and Thousand Year Door are a lot better than any of the later entries into the series. Super Mario RPG, Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story are all great as well.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:It's not similar, just similar in quality, which is subjective to your enjoyment :p Thousand Year Door is very much like the original, but better in my opinion, just a natural evolution.

Spoiler
Yeah, in that case I think a lot of my problem with the game will be specific to that genre change
Definitely, I think that's what a lot of people's issues were. The traditional Paper Mario gameplay is pretty good, just simple RPG turn based commands with button inputs to spice things up. The extra level of interaction and visual flare make battles a little less cumbersome than they can be in traditional RPG's. Paper Mario has always excelled at making the overworld interesting as well, rather than being a place to go from point A to B.
evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

When it comes to Mario RPGs, nothing has touched Thousand Year Door. And it pains me to say that, as I adore the SNES SMRPG. That being said, I think Super Paper Mario doesn't get the respect it deserves. It's not a proper Paper Mario game, but if you go in expecting it to be different, it's a great game in its own right. Sticker Star still sucks though.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

evildevil97 wrote:When it comes to Mario RPGs, nothing has touched Thousand Year Door. And it pains me to say that, as I adore the SNES SMRPG. That being said, I think Super Paper Mario doesn't get the respect it deserves. It's not a proper Paper Mario game, but if you go in expecting it to be different, it's a great game in its own right. Sticker Star still sucks though.
I can't defend Sticker Star too much, it's easily the weakest of the 4. I enjoyed my time with it - but it was a free download, so I didn't have any buyers remorse. If anyone is looking to try out Paper Mario, Sticker Star isn't a great place to start despite still having a lot of the charm and well designed environments the series is known for. It's also incredibly annoying to play without a guide, which is a serious design flaw.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

evildevil97 wrote:When it comes to Mario RPGs, nothing has touched Thousand Year Door. And it pains me to say that, as I adore the SNES SMRPG. That being said, I think Super Paper Mario doesn't get the respect it deserves. It's not a proper Paper Mario game, but if you go in expecting it to be different, it's a great game in its own right. Sticker Star still sucks though.
I personally thought Super Paper Mario was alright, but it wasn't an outstanding game to me. It was kind of like a 6 or 7/10 decent game.

I loved Super Mario RPG but it doesn't hold a candle to the first two Paper Mario games imo. It's not even fair to compare them since they came out at much different times.

One thing I find kind of funny is that the Playstation had all these amazing JRPGs, but I would honestly rank the two Paper Mario RPGs above nearly all of them. Unfortunately...the two Paper Mario RPGs were all the N64 had....
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote:
I personally thought Super Paper Mario was alright, but it wasn't an outstanding game to me. It was kind of like a 6 or 7/10 decent game.

I loved Super Mario RPG but it doesn't hold a candle to the first two Paper Mario games imo. It's not even fair to compare them since they came out at much different times.

One thing I find kind of funny is that the Playstation had all these amazing JRPGs, but I would honestly rank the two Paper Mario RPGs above nearly all of them. Unfortunately...the two Paper Mario RPGs were all the N64 had....
Thousand Year Door was Gamecube though.