Round of 16: How Many Bits in a Mario?

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2015-16 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.

What game should advance to the Top 8 Quarterfinals?

Poll ended at 17 Dec 2015 21:53

20 - Super Mario World - 1990 - SNES
71%
73 - Super Mario Bros. - 1985 - NES
29%

Total votes: 31

The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Round of 16: How Many Bits in a Mario?

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
Sharecrow wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:It didn't single-handed save the entire video game industry, though.
If SMB hadn't, something else would have. An industry with this much potential would not have been ignored by investors forever. SMB deserves credit for that for timing, but not for its quality, which has been trumped by many, many, many other games - both ones it was contemporary to and ones that came later.
But something else didn't, SMB did. Quality aside, like you said, SMB deserves credit for its timing, and for its impact and influence on the genre in particular and the industry as a whole. Definitely a giant entry, and fully worthy of a BGE Top-8 finish.
For me, voting for influence stops around the Top 32. At that point I think about what games I really enjoy playing, and would play again, over what a particular game did for the industry. I'm not criticising your stance, but I don't really think of a game's influence when I'm playing it.

I also think Super Mario Bros. doesn't have very tight controls compared to Super Mario World, or even Super Mario Bros. 3.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:For me, voting for influence stops around the Top 32. At that point I think about what games I really enjoy playing, and would play again, over what a particular game did for the industry. I'm not criticising your stance, but I don't really think of a game's influence when I'm playing it.
Kong Wen wrote:
Forscyvus wrote:I totally agree with this reasoning, but I also feel like this sort of voting is one of the reasons BEST X EVER polls can be boring sometimes. Like yeah citizen kane was important but it's kind of an arduous watch and is nowadays a boring choice for best movie ever just because it's not exciting when it wins.

Just a couple cents. shruggo
I agree with you, and this is one of the reasons it's good that not everyone votes the same way. One of the big reasons we keep what "BEST!!!" means up in the air and subjective, rather than saying "vote for the most influential game of all time". I tend not to vote that way unless my choices are really close. Then I might let it flip a tie.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:For me, voting for influence stops around the Top 32. At that point I think about what games I really enjoy playing, and would play again, over what a particular game did for the industry. I'm not criticising your stance, but I don't really think of a game's influence when I'm playing it.
Kong Wen wrote:
Forscyvus wrote:I totally agree with this reasoning, but I also feel like this sort of voting is one of the reasons BEST X EVER polls can be boring sometimes. Like yeah citizen kane was important but it's kind of an arduous watch and is nowadays a boring choice for best movie ever just because it's not exciting when it wins.

I agree with you, and this is one of the reasons it's good that not everyone votes the same way. One of the big reasons we keep what "BEST!!!" means up in the air and subjective, rather than saying "vote for the most influential game of all time". I tend not to vote that way unless my choices are really close. Then I might let it flip a tie.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:

I also meant to mention that you were probably not going to base your vote heavily on influence, but were just making sure people knew that could sway a vote towards a game.
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

Slurmee wrote:SMB sucks
Could you offer a little more criticism to back this up? It seems to be a popular opinion among your generation and I'm always interested in hearing the reasoning behind it.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

A Beta Fu7ure wrote:
Could you offer a little more criticism to back this up? It seems to be a popular opinion among your generation and I'm always interested in hearing the reasoning behind it.
For its time I'm sure it was amazing but every other mainstream mario game I've played is better. There's a ton of things that are in World (my original mario) that SMB doesn't have that makes it feel like it's far far worse. Not being able to save and the fact you can't go backwards really ruins it.

Sucks is probably a strong word as I'd still play it plus I voted for it in earlier rounds (voted 64 in the last round though) it just feel like it's not a complete game and there's so many thing that bother me about it that I can't put my fingers to plus the graphics are gross. I know you can't compare the NES graphics to the SNES (world) graphics but SMB3 looks so much better than 1.

I believe that not growing up with it does have a huge deal with it and I understand it changed the face of gaming a lot and started a franchise I love but the game itself (which is what I'm voting for here) isn't that fantastic. Maybe if I was 7 in 1985 I'd feel differently and like it as much as I like World.
Drumble doesn't respect the sigs so here's a link to my backloggery
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

A Beta Fu7ure wrote:
It doesn't suck, it's just a game that has been trumped by every single other Mario platformer since. I do appreciate the classic, simple level design it has. Ultimately I like Super Mario World better for its cohessive feel, variety of power ups and things to do, its visual style and music. The only thing I can say about Super Mario Bros. that really shines is that it's forever a game that is super easy to just pick up and play. No opening story or level select, just press start and you're right in there.
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

Slurmee wrote:
A Beta Fu7ure wrote:

I know you can't compare the NES graphics to the SNES (world) graphics but SMB3 looks so much better than 1.
Am I the only one that doesn't think this? I've always thought of Super Mario Bros as an aesthetically beautiful game whose graphics are not only iconic but timeless to an extent..while I've always considered SMB3's graphics to have been some of the ugliest in the series and feel that they have aged even less well.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

A Beta Fu7ure wrote:
Am I the only one that doesn't think this? I've always thought of Super Mario Bros as an aesthetically beautiful game whose graphics are not only iconic but timeless to an extent..while I've always considered SMB3's graphics to have been some of the ugliest in the series and feel that they have aged even less well.
I think Super Mario bros. looks bland and has some grotesque models. The Super Mario Maker version looks not bad.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

A Beta Fu7ure wrote: Am I the only one that doesn't think this? I've always thought of Super Mario Bros as an aesthetically beautiful game whose graphics are not only iconic but timeless to an extent..while I've always considered SMB3's graphics to have been some of the ugliest in the series and feel that they have aged even less well.
No, I think SMB holds up rather well aesthetically. And it's still fun. I'm not sure I share your dislike of SM3's graphics, but I can kind of see where you're coming from.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.