Mario Kart 8 Q/A

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Re: Mario Kart 8 Q/A

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote:
Kreegs wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:I don't have anything unlocked (I've got gold on all the 50cc cups, but not 100cc or 150cc), so I use standard kart, standard wheels, and standard glider.
Surely you must have unlocked some more Kart options after last night. Its all done with coin collecting. Once you go into single player mode you will get the part you unlocked. Then, if you exit out and go back in, chances are you will get another part. It only gives you one at a time for some reason, even if you have passed more of the coin benchmarks.
Oh, probably. I'll check later on. Is there any kind of consensus on what the best parts/combos are, or is everything pretty well balanced this time around? (Ha!)
My early amateur assessment just based on the design of Mario Kart is that acceleration builds are rewarded more than top speed builds. Everyone gets hit by shit too often for top speed to matter much (especially since few builds operate on high top speed AND accel). For the most part, this theory has paid off when I've applied it. Accel is king. Aside from that, there's little reason to not be a heavy character because certain builds can make up for their loss of speed and whatnot, and they win collisions.

Now, I play a medium character with a build that sacrifices some accel because I like the character and the look of my cart, but I still mostly prioritize accel. It's just the best thing to do.
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:Is there any kind of consensus on what the best parts/combos are, or is everything pretty well balanced this time around?
My early amateur assessment just based on the design of Mario Kart is that acceleration builds are rewarded more than top speed builds. Everyone gets hit by shit too often for top speed to matter much (especially since few builds operate on high top speed AND accel). For the most part, this theory has paid off when I've applied it. Accel is king. Aside from that, there's little reason to not be a heavy character because certain builds can make up for their loss of speed and whatnot, and they win collisions.

Now, I play a medium character with a build that sacrifices some accel because I like the character and the look of my cart, but I still mostly prioritize accel. It's just the best thing to do.
Sounds about right. In the earlier games (or, at least Super Mario Kart), it was the opposite: acceleration was good for beginners, but top speed won out once you learned the courses. But you're right, in this one there's no way you're not getting hit by something, even if going off the track isn't a problem for you.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

I use a very light character, and it really does help in terms of acceleration. The only downside is that I get bumped around like none other. Usually this is ok if I am drifting hard to one side, as I don't get bumped as much, but in the frantic start of the race, I sometimes find myself off the course in a matter of seconds. If I am playing online with players with similar VR points, I need to get through the first 20 seconds in 3rd place or higher or else I will be stuck in the pack and bumped around all race.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Last 100cc I 3-starred was with Baby Mario on Wild Wiggler and Cyber Slicks. It seems the glider doesn't in- or decrease any of the stats. Standard ATV with Monster wheels and different drivers, got me through 50cc with ease. Still have 2 100cc 3-star challenges, but I think I'll start on 150cc first and try other combinations.

nice overview of stats
Grt. Merlin

The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

That Rainbow Road short cut is pretty neat, I figured you would be able to do something like that!
I use heavy characters more often like Donkey Kong, still experiementing with karts but I like high speed, medium accel, and good traction. As long as I can drift well I don't need handling! I like ATV's for their versitile drift, seems like bikes are best for drifting tight while karts are good for drifting around a wider turn.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Has anyone unlocked the Gold Glider yet? I bought this game at launch and play it all the time by myself, with my wife, and with friends. It feels like I should have hit 10,000 by now!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kreegs wrote:Has anyone unlocked the Gold Glider yet? I bought this game at launch and play it all the time by myself, with my wife, and with friends. It feels like I should have hit 10,000 by now!
You need 10 000 coins to unlock it? Too bad it's not like Mario Kart 7 where it shows you how many coins you have. I've played a little bit and I believe I have about 3000 coins so I have a long ways to go.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Yea you need 10,000. I thought it was going to come up pretty quickly with the amount of races I do with friends locally, but I guess its more of a feat. I wish there was a way to check how many coins you have.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I find I tend to get about 50-100 coins per full evening of play with my friends, which is once per week. So it looks like I'm looking at about 100-200 weeks, or 2-4 years before I'll unlock everything.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Kong Wen wrote:I find I tend to get about 50-100 coins per full evening of play with my friends, which is once per week. So it looks like I'm looking at about 100-200 weeks, or 2-4 years before I'll unlock everything.
Well at least the end is in sight....