2018 Game Clear Thread

The home of various "master lists" of This Old Neon members' gaming accomplishments and collections. Achievements and trophies, play time, and lists of collected and completed games go here.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: 2018 Game Clear Thread

Post by The Shoemaker »

Off to a slow start this year! Doesn't help that I'm still playing Xenoblade 2 which likely has another 50 hours left in it :lol:

Finished:
Jan. 23 - Oxenfree (Switch)
Jan. 23 - Shu (Switch)

Oxenfree was not bad. It had good voice acting and an interesting story. Main problem was inbetween the story was a lot of slow walking, which just wasn't fun. Overall still a good experience.

Shu was a short and sweet platformer with a nice art style. While it didn't do anything new, it was constantly adding elements with each level. I liked that you had to save villagers which in turn provided you with abilities, but then you lost those abilities when the villagers went away. The final level incorporates all the villagers in phases, would have been cool if they did that with a few more levels.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Finished:
Jan. 23 - Oxenfree (Switch)
Jan. 23 - Shu (Switch)
Jan. 28 - Celeste (Switch)

Finished the main story in Celeste. Fantastic game, wasn't expecting to play such a great game this early in the year. Looks like there's still lots to do in the game yet though!
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Beaten:
1/8 - Flywrench (PSN)
1/13 - Batman: The Telltale Series (PSN)
1/15 - Windjammers (PSN)
1/29 - Panzer Dragoon (Saturn)

Among my Gaming Resolutions for this year was to beat at least one game on each of the platforms I own that I've not beaten a game on. That list consists of only the Sega Saturn and Sega Master System. Technically, I'd beaten a GameCube re-release of Sonic R, but I really hesitate to count that.

I've owned a Saturn for probably over 10 years. It was given to me by an old babysitter who had no use for it. Unfortunately, as a consequence, the games she gave me with it weren't any good. So it sat in utter disuse for most of its life. Nevertheless, I've kept it around. Once I decided to finally dig it up and play it, I knew I had my work cut out for me to find a game that was both affordable *and* good. The conventional wisdom there is that the Panzer Dragoon series is a great place to start a Saturn retrospective. Fortunately -- except for the mightily lauded and equally rare Saga -- the series' games aren't terribly expensive either, especially if you're willing to buy a Japanese copy like I did.

I'm super glad I did, because Panzer Dragoon was exactly the game I needed. Like Flywrench before it, it satisfied an action game urge that had been welling up since my 2017 was largely dominated by the likes of Personas 1 and 5 (not to mention a general feeling of lack of free time with which to play games at all). It's a fun rail shooter not quite like any I've played before. It's got a great soundtrack, solid graphics, and staunch challenge. I'd recommend it to anyone. I know I'll be looking to buy Zwei soon myself.

Completed:
1/13 - Batman: The Telltale Series (PSN)

Also, finally decided to adopt Kong/Slurm's yearly stats tracker. It's much nicer! :neon:

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Progress - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 - 2016 - 2017 - 2018
Finished - 0024 - 0041 - 0034 - 0022 - 0025 - 0014 - 0004
Complete - 0000 - 0004 - 0005 - 0001 - 0002 - 0001 - 0001
Last edited by Claytone on 29 Jan 2018 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote: 29 Jan 2018 18:53 Also, finally decided to adopt Kong/Slurm's yearly stats tracker. It's much nicer! :neon:
Oh, did Slurm borrow my formatting as well? Nice. :up:
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote: 29 Jan 2018 19:14
Claytone wrote: 29 Jan 2018 18:53 Also, finally decided to adopt Kong/Slurm's yearly stats tracker. It's much nicer! :neon:
Oh, did Slurm borrow my formatting as well? Nice. :up:
You creating it doesn't make it any less his. Besides which, I copied it from his footer anyway, since he trimmed off that "mastered/plat" fat. ;)

Plus, mine is the definitive version anyway. I've got the actual hex color values for Silver and Old Gold. :D
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Don't worry, I give you permission to borrow my yearly stats tracker, as Slurm does. :)

Two helpful hints, while you're taking cues from a creative organizational mastermind: one, using darker colours (I recommend grey and orange) will increase contrast against the background, improving legibility, and two, you can trim off those dangling table border lines (the whole point of using a fixed-width font is so the characters line up).

I'll be ditching Mastered in my tracking soon as well, since Backloggery has become less relevant to my gaming progress organization. I do like to tally my Platinums though, particularly as ol' Sharecrow has been making a play for my crown.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote: 29 Jan 2018 20:12 Two helpful hints, while you're taking cues from a creative organizational mastermind: one, using darker colours (I recommend grey and orange) will increase contrast against the background, improving legibility, and two, you can trim off those dangling table border lines (the whole point of using a fixed-width font is so the characters line up).
Good catch on the dangling lines! I knew your intent with the monospacing, I just didn't catch that when composing table (my stats don't go back to 2011, while Slurm's do).

With respect to the colors, though, all I can say is I will not let my right and proper designator colors be held hostage by TONe's bright theme. 8-)

But in seriousness, props on the design there. It's quite good. I have long admired your talents in that regard. :up: :neon:
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote: 29 Jan 2018 20:50 With respect to the colors, though, all I can say is I will not let my right and proper designator colors be held hostage by TONe's bright theme. 8-)
Hmm... I wonder if we could put together a "night mode" dark theme that would be user-selectable in the user control panel options...
Claytone wrote: 29 Jan 2018 20:50 But in seriousness, props on the design there. It's quite good. I have long admired your talents in that regard. :up: :neon:
It comes from my being an ancient old guy and having a background designing tables and charts in ASCII / word processors. :lol:
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote: 29 Jan 2018 21:01 Hmm... I wonder if we could put together a "night mode" dark theme that would be user-selectable in the user control panel options...
I'd love that as long as it's not too much overhead! Could even have the default font color be neon pink. :lol:
It comes from my being an ancient old guy and having a background designing tables and charts in ASCII / word processors. :lol:
Which I reckon follows from your general love of stats/spreadsheets! Knowing how to do it the old-fashioned way seems to still have its benefits. :)
You got BOOST power!
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Cogs was meh.

Knack was amazing I really do not get the hate, decent enough story for the genre fun gameplay good length. Also plan on Platniuming Knack

2018 PROGRESS

FINISHED:
03-Jan Fat Princess (PS3)
09-Jan Child of Light (PS4)
10-Jan Shank (Steam)
14-Jan Crash Bandicoot N'Sane (PS4)
18-Jan Uncanny Valley (Vita)
28-Jan Cogs (Steam)
31-Jan Knack (PS4)

COMPLETE:

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Progress - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 - 2016 - 2017 - 2018