MAIN EVENT - Round Seven

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2019 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.
Ouenben
Great Scot
Great Scot

Re: MAIN EVENT - Round Seven

Post by Ouenben »

Slurmee wrote: 01 May 2019 01:07
Kong Wen wrote: 30 Apr 2019 15:42
Slurmee wrote: 30 Apr 2019 15:34 I saw a post on twitter about this being the top 32 where's team fortress 2 and I don't remember seeing wind waker, oots or majoras mask (unless I derped and missed them).
Was it the Twitter post that said "We're down to the Top 32 (plus 2 high-seeded byes)"? Team Fortress 2 is one of the high-seeded byes. Wind Waker, Ocarina, and Majora were eliminated.
This is what I feared. Some real gems have been knocked out and seeding has given cod4 a top 32 spot.
COD4 took the tired war franchise and completely redid it and delivered one of the most cinematic and polished FPS to date. It also completely revamped the multiplayer system and introduced the innovative ranking /unlock system that ended up being copied left right and centre because of how popular and fun it was to play. The series would soon try to emulate this and grow stale but at the time this was a real breath of fresh air for FPS players.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Ouenben wrote: 01 May 2019 22:35
Kong Wen wrote: 30 Apr 2019 15:42

Was it the Twitter post that said "We're down to the Top 32 (plus 2 high-seeded byes)"? Team Fortress 2 is one of the high-seeded byes. Wind Waker, Ocarina, and Majora were eliminated.
This is what I feared. Some real gems have been knocked out and seeding has given cod4 a top 32 spot.
COD4 took the tired war franchise and completely redid it and delivered one of the most cinematic and polished FPS to date. It also completely revamped the multiplayer system and introduced the innovative ranking /unlock system that ended up being copied left right and centre because of how popular and fun it was to play. The series would soon try to emulate this and grow stale but at the time this was a real breath of fresh air for FPS players.
It's still not a top 32 game and not better than the likes of Wind Waker, Oots and many other knocked out games. Other than having a high ranking which could have been due to someone nominated 1-2 games it hasn't earned a top 32 spot and hasn't fought through multiple rounds. Top 32 should be a milestone earned not just given out easily. Look at Team Forest 2 it gets a top 16 spot because of this. I understand them getting a few bye rounds but a bye into top 32 or 16 is too much and encourages people to nominate less games in future events.

No game deserves an instant spot in the top 32 or 16. It also makes the results look weird.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote: 02 May 2019 01:18
Ouenben wrote: 01 May 2019 22:35 COD4 took the tired war franchise and completely redid it and delivered one of the most cinematic and polished FPS to date. It also completely revamped the multiplayer system and introduced the innovative ranking /unlock system that ended up being copied left right and centre because of how popular and fun it was to play. The series would soon try to emulate this and grow stale but at the time this was a real breath of fresh air for FPS players.
It's still not a top 32 game and not better than the likes of Wind Waker, Oots and many other knocked out games.
Yes it is. Ouen just did the exact thing this entire project is meant for: attempted to discuss what makes games good for him by providing reasons for his nominations/votes/preferences, which is something too few people are doing this year. The games that were better than Ocarina of Time are the ones that competed against it in its bracket and got more votes. Anyone else could just as easily pop in here and say "Wind Waker's not a Top 32 game and not better than the likes of Shadowgate."
Slurmee wrote: 02 May 2019 01:18No game deserves an instant spot in the top 32 or 16. It also makes the results look weird.
This thread is for discussion of these games in the bracket, not the tournament structure. Please let's keep it on topic from here on out. You have the option of sending me a PM instead of bumming everyone out with nitpicking and quibbling. The structure changes every year and would continue to do so if this were not going to be the final BGE event.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 02 May 2019 13:45
Ouenben wrote: 01 May 2019 22:35 COD4 took the tired war franchise and completely redid it and delivered one of the most cinematic and polished FPS to date. It also completely revamped the multiplayer system and introduced the innovative ranking /unlock system that ended up being copied left right and centre because of how popular and fun it was to play. The series would soon try to emulate this and grow stale but at the time this was a real breath of fresh air for FPS players.
It's still not a top 32 game and not better than the likes of Wind Waker, Oots and many other knocked out games.
Yes it is. Ouen just did the exact thing this entire project is meant for: attempted to discuss what makes games good for him by providing reasons for his nominations/votes/preferences, which is something too few people are doing this year. The games that were better than Ocarina of Time are the ones that competed against it in its bracket and got more votes. Anyone else could just as easily pop in here and say "Wind Waker's not a Top 32 game and not better than the likes of Shadowgate."
Slurmee wrote: 02 May 2019 01:18No game deserves an instant spot in the top 32 or 16. It also makes the results look weird.
This thread is for discussion of these games in the bracket, not the tournament structure. Please let's keep it on topic from here on out. You have the option of sending me a PM instead of bumming everyone out with nitpicking and quibbling. The structure changes every year and would continue to do so if this were not going to be the final BGE event.
BTW I haven't said this, while I have my gripes of how the tournament rules were and how it would have changed my nomination process the events still been really fun and I know it takes a lot of effort doing all the math and understand you want to keep things fresh and are making the changes for the better. So thanks!
Last edited by SkyPikachu on 02 May 2019 15:30, edited 1 time in total.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Okay here are my thoughts:

Poll 1 of 4 - Northeastern Qualifiers
Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009, Multiplatform)
Final Fantasy IV (1991, SNES)
Final Fantasy Tactics (1997, PS1)
Final Fantasy VI (1994, SNES)
Final Fantasy X (2001, PS2)
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (2014, Multiplatform)
Portal (2007, Multiplatform)
Portal 2 (2011, Multiplatform)

Batman: Arkham Asylum, which I first played actually as a direct result of its performance and accolades in a prior BGE. I love this game and I think I’ll go back to platinum it one day. That and FFX, which I’ve beaten probably seven or eight times and which I did go back and platinum.

Poll 2 of 4 - Northwestern Qualifiers
Bloodborne (2015, PS4)
Cave Story (2004, PC)
Chrono Trigger (1995, SNES)
Metal Gear Solid (1998, PS1)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater / Subsistence (2004, PS2)
Spelunky (2012, Multiplatform)
Super Meat Boy (2010, Multiplatform)
Tetris (1989, GB)

I voted for MGS and for Spelunky here. The latter is my son’s favorite game right now so I have been seeing it a lot lately. It’s really well-designed and fun. MGS is no Sons of Liberty but is almost as good. I never liked Snake Eater all that much.

Poll 3 of 4 - Southeastern Qualifiers
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007, Multiplatform)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (1997, PS1)
Mega Man 9 (2008, Multiplatform)
Super Mario 64 (1996, N64)
Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988, NES)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010, Wii)
Super Mario World (1990, SNES)
Undertale (2015, Multiplatform)

Castlevania SotN and MM9 got my votes here. Two games just overloaded with quality.

Poll 4 of 4 - Southwestern Qualifiers
Celeste (2018, Multiplatform)
Dark Souls (2011, Multiplatform)
Galaga (1981, Arcade)
StarCraft (1998, PC)
Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (1991, Arcade)
Super Metroid (1994, SNES)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1991, SNES)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017, NS)

Here I only voted for Celeste. I’m glad I bought this game and started it rather than waiting for years to go by first like I normally do. Outstandingly fun and rewarding. I don’t think I’m good enough to platinum this one but will enjoy playing it for years to come I’m sure.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

It's still not a top 32 game and not better than the likes of Wind Waker, Oots and many other knocked out games. Other than having a high ranking which could have been due to someone nominated 1-2 games it hasn't earned a top 32 spot and hasn't fought through multiple rounds. Top 32 should be a milestone earned not just given out easily. Look at Team Forest 2 it gets a top 16 spot because of this. I understand them getting a few bye rounds but a bye into top 32 or 16 is too much and encourages people to nominate less games in future events.

No game deserves an instant spot in the top 32 or 16. It also makes the results look weird.
Keep in mind we're trying to get an average sentiment of what the BGE is to this forum. Everyone's nomination holds the same weight, so if someone decided TF2 was the only game that needed to be nominated, their nomination holds that much more weight over my 200 games nominated.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Poll 2 of 4 - Northwestern Qualifiers
Bloodborne (2015, PS4)
Cave Story (2004, PC)
Chrono Trigger (1995, SNES)
Metal Gear Solid (1998, PS1)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater / Subsistence (2004, PS2)
Spelunky (2012, Multiplatform)
Super Meat Boy (2010, Multiplatform)
Tetris (1989, GB)

Cave Story and SMB don't hold enough weight for me here. Bloodborne is fantastic, one of the best games on PS4. i scoffed at it in previous BGE's but I get why Tetris is a beast now.

Poll 3 of 4 - Southeastern Qualifiers
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007, Multiplatform)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (1997, PS1)
Mega Man 9 (2008, Multiplatform)
Super Mario 64 (1996, N64)

Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988, NES)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010, Wii)
Super Mario World (1990, SNES)
Undertale (2015, Multiplatform)

Definitely agree that COD4 changed the FPS genre on consoles, it was a prolific game at the time and the reason the franchise is so huge today. My personal tastes lean towards 3D Mario though. 64 is still fantastic to this day, very few flaws. And Galaxy 2 at the time was the best we've seen since 64. Also, MM9. Awesome music, best of the Mega Man's.

Poll 4 of 4 - Southwestern Qualifiers
Celeste (2018, Multiplatform)
Dark Souls (2011, Multiplatform)
Galaga (1981, Arcade)
StarCraft (1998, PC)
Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (1991, Arcade)
Super Metroid (1994, SNES)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1991, SNES)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017, NS)

Probably the hardest bracket here. BOTW is phenomenal. I was going to give it to Dark Souls for being the fore bringing of the Souls genre, but really that credit goes to Demon Souls. Super Metroid and ALTTP are classics for sure, but Celeste is the standout to me right now.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

The Shoemaker wrote: 02 May 2019 15:37

Keep in mind we're trying to get an average sentiment of what the BGE is to this forum. Everyone's nomination holds the same weight, so if someone decided TF2 was the only game that needed to be nominated, their nomination holds that much more weight over my 200 games nominated.
I just think the games are coming in a bit late and aren't given a tough enough run to earn a high place. Maybe top 64 for the #1 seed. Maybe the low amount of nominations made it harder.

BTW did any of your round 1 nominations make it to the top 32?
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Slurmee wrote: 02 May 2019 15:46
The Shoemaker wrote: 02 May 2019 15:37

I just think the games are coming in a bit late and aren't given a tough enough run to earn a high place. Maybe top 64 for the #1 seed. Maybe the low amount of nominations made it harder.

BTW did any of your round 1 nominations make it to the top 32?
Yeah might be a bit late to come in. I don't think any of my specific round 1 nominations are here, a few of them made it as far as the previous round. Plenty of games here that I did nominate though.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Just FYI, if we do have another BGE, the top seed in the nomination round is getting a bye into the final 4.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming