MAIN EVENT: One-on-One Round of 16

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2019 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Re: MAIN EVENT: One-on-One Round of 16

Post by Sharecrow »

Kong Wen wrote: 15 May 2019 19:56
Claytone wrote: 15 May 2019 19:50 Galaga vs Batman is making it tough to submit my ballot!
I'm just throwing down for Galaga because it'll be a nice monkey-wrench in the next round, knowing that if Batman wins I'll be 100% OK with it.
If you’re 100% okay with it you could always vote for it. I did because of how cool it made being Batman. And the Metroid style world exploration works amazingly well. I hadn’t expected that and thought it’d be contrived but it really isn’t.

I love Galaga as much as the next guy but given the choice to spend my next forty gaming hours on one of these two I know I would pick Batman.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Sharecrow wrote: 15 May 2019 20:05 I love Galaga as much as the next guy but given the choice to spend my next forty gaming hours on one of these two I know I would pick Batman.
That's cool, but that's not what motivates my votes here, at least in most of the brackets. If Batman gets through and faces off against another personal fave, I'll easily vote for it. But I do want to see some groundbreaking oldies get through too.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Kong Wen wrote: 15 May 2019 20:16
Sharecrow wrote: 15 May 2019 20:05 I love Galaga as much as the next guy but given the choice to spend my next forty gaming hours on one of these two I know I would pick Batman.
That's cool, but that's not what motivates my votes here, at least in most of the brackets. If Batman gets through and faces off against another personal fave, I'll easily vote for it. But I do want to see some groundbreaking oldies get through too.
If it were Berzerk! I’d have a much harder time choosing...

There’s something about the hopeless situations most games put you in back then, including Galaga, that makes them perpetually endearing. You want to continue the struggle...to get further...to do better. That’s really cool. Modern games usually have more boundaries on them letting you get to an actual completion point. Not an argument one way or the other here - just an observation.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Tetris over MGS - As it always should have been
Batman over Galaga - Really indifferent about this but don't think either is top 8 material
Super Mario World over Final Fantasy Tactics - Ooof glad my vote counted. I'm going to have to try Tactic.
SMB3 over Portal 2 - Not surprised really. Kinda glad only 1 portal made it through.
Portal over Mega Man 9 - Mega Man 9 is such an unknown title to me. Surprised it made it this far.
MGS over Super Metroid - Wow just wow. I knew the series was popular wasn't aware the original was even considered amazing and never thought it was considered better than Super Metroid
Drumble doesn't respect the sigs so here's a link to my backloggery
Ouenben
Great Scot
Great Scot

Post by Ouenben »

I missed this thread somehow and I've let Super metroid down. I'm so sorry Samus you really didn't deserve to lose to Snake.
This Old Neon
Administrator

Post by This Old Neon »

This Old Neon wrote: 13 May 2019 01:02 Bracket 3: Tetromino Eater
Tetris (1989, GB)

Bracket 4: Batman in Space
Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009, Multiplatform)

Bracket 5: Final Fantasy World
Super Mario World (1990, SNES)

Bracket 6: Mario in Spaaaaace
Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988, NES)

Bracket 7: Bad Robots
Portal (2007, Multiplatform)

Bracket 8: Super Solid
Metal Gear Solid (1998, PS1)
Here are the winners of the brackets that were posted last week. This week's brackets will be the corrected Brackets 1 & 2, and then the Top 8 will follow next week.