Game of Thrones (contains serious, massive SPOILERS)

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (May contain spoilers)

Post by Kong Wen »

Spoiler
"I think it's a little too late for Stoneheart at this point, too many years have past and Jon has already come back. I think she's more important for Brienne's and Jaime's arc than she is for Jon though" — She's important for their arc, but structurally/thematically she's an important foreshadowing for Jon.
Has anyone put any thought into the idea that the Umbers' "gift" might be part of a scheme rather than something to take at face value?
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
Spoiler
"I think it's a little too late for Stoneheart at this point, too many years have past and Jon has already come back. I think she's more important for Brienne's and Jaime's arc than she is for Jon though" — She's important for their arc, but structurally/thematically she's an important foreshadowing for Jon.
Has anyone put any thought into the idea that the Umbers' "gift" might be part of a scheme rather than something to take at face value?
I mean, I did think the
Spoiler
wolf head looked a little small
, but I doubt that means anything. I'll be really surprised if it's anything beyond face value. But if there's not more to it, then all the Northern lords so far are just assholes and they all deserve Ramsay :p It also seems pretty silly to attack Castle Black to kill the Lord Commander, the guy the wildlings actually like and are listening to. Not sure what the plan is after they kill the lord commander anyways since the wildlings are already across the wall. I guess they're hoping without Jon the Night's Watch would be against the Wildlings and willing to join the north to fight them?
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Tower of Joy scene from episode 6.03... with lightsabers...
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

I haven't really said anything about the new season yet, so here goes:

I like the setup
I like Max von Sydow
I like how we finally catch up with events that should have happend long ago (Balon Greyjoy)
I like how threads come together again
I like Theons ark
I like that we have more than one member of house Stark in a scene once again
I like that Osha is back ...scratch that
I like the entire interactions of Brienne with e.g. Davos, Thormund etc.
I like the King's Landing ark and how it sets up something big
I like that they seem to move Sam towards meeting his dad Randyll Tarley, a character that feels long overdue
I actually like Dany's ark, still kinda neutral on Tyrion
I don't like the Martell ark as I liked Dr. Bashir
Arya is still kinda boring right now
I don't like that Walda Frey isn't the evil mastermind behind it all

I like that we finally go completely off the rails that books set up and it pays off.
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Max is great. I'm still finding Theon/Yara/everything about Pyke boring. Maybe new Greyjoys will make this more joyful, but I think my main problem with them is I don't see how they fit into the overall arc.
Spoiler
One thing I really liked is Edd not being happy with Jon's decision to leave. I think bringing Sansa to Castle Black was perfect timing, because Jon risked getting too sulky until she arrived to give him purpose (and this may actually help the rest of the Night's Watch to accept his decision). I also like Tormund eyeing Brienne up and down. They're cuties.
I'm glad we got to see some Davos/Stannis/Brienne talk. Davos is a good dude, and he doesn't know the details of what happened south of the wall quite yet. Hopefully Brienne has a good mind toward her oath to keep Sansa safe and doesn't muck things up on her Renly revenge tour.

It was good to see Tyrion showing some social savvy again, although:
Spoiler
I think Dany and her new friends may have other plans for the free cities of Slaver's Bay
I have a funny feeling the High Sparrow is manipulating his rivals in King's Landing into walking into a trap of some kind.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:Max is great. I'm still finding Theon/Yara/everything about Pyke boring. Maybe new Greyjoys will make this more joyful, but I think my main problem with them is I don't see how they fit into the overall arc.
Yeah I wasn't as into this scene as I was with the Greyjoys in the second episode, but I think it's just all set up right now until they can get Yara to take Victarion's role and Sam to get to Oldtown for the rest of it to fall in place.
Kong Wen wrote:I'm glad we got to see some Davos/Stannis/Brienne talk. Davos is a good dude, and he doesn't know the details of what happened south of the wall quite yet. Hopefully Brienne has a good mind toward her oath to keep Sansa safe and doesn't muck things up on her Renly revenge tour.
Yeah good to see that conversation. Between Jon, Sansa, Davos, Mel, Brienne, Pod and Tormond, they have a lot of "main" characters in one spot right now. I'm thinking we're probably going to see some of them split off soon.
Kiwi the Tortoise wrote: I like that we finally go completely off the rails that books set up and it pays off.
It's funny that you say that, so far this season I've felt that the content has mostly been ADWD and AFFC but with different dialogue. Tyrion = Dany + Barristan (+ maybe Quentyn), Ramsay = Davos (Northern lords, Rickon), Jon = Stannis, Greyjoys, Sam (and possibly Jaime) are AFFC, Arya is a mix between ADWD, AFFC and her TWOW sample chapter, Dorne is undistinguishable. As the season moves forward though it's definitely going to be moving past the books (though I'd say more in its own direction).
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:until they can get Yara to take Victarion's role
Good call. Putting Theon back there is theoretically interesting (does he hope to lend support to the Starks if his sister wins the Seaweed Hammock?), but I'm not going to be engaged until stuff starts happening.
The Shoemaker wrote:I'm thinking we're probably going to see some of them split off soon.
Davos at least is going to rally the troops. I doubt the whole crew will go with him. Brienne and Pod will stay with Sansa. I highly doubt Sansa will go anywhere with Littlefinger now that she has her posse around. Mel will go wherever the big guy goes.
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

I expect to see more threads moving together than apart.
We are currently in season 6 and I don't expect the show to run past 8, so we should see how pieces are moved into place.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:until they can get Yara to take Victarion's role
Good call. Putting Theon back there is theoretically interesting (does he hope to lend support to the Starks if his sister wins the Seaweed Hammock?), but I'm not going to be engaged until stuff starts happening.
lol, maybe that's his intention? He just learned about the Kingsmoot as he was arriving at Pike, so I don't think he has much planned out beyond wanting a place to stay.
Kiwi the Tortoise wrote:I expect to see more threads moving together than apart.
We are currently in season 6 and I don't expect the show to run past 8, so we should see how pieces are moved into place.
Yes, but I think it's a bit too early to have 6-8 big characters wandering around together. My guess is Davos will take off, Brienne and Pod will take off, and Perhaps Littlefinger. But will anyone stay at the wall or is that story done for now? Maybe we'll pick up on Edd here and there.
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

The Walking Dead: A Song of Ice and Spoilers
Spoiler
Max von Sydow, Hodor and the end of Summer....
The Hodor thing was really good.

Finally got a proper Greyjoy baptism, the moot didn't really have the grand mood though.
Euron Greyjoy has too many eyes.
Seeing Varys baffled/scared is a unique moment too.
Also finally the Tully's appear to be important again