2015 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Nomination Thread

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2015-16 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.
link64
Beginner

Re: 2015 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Nomination Thread

Post by link64 »

I would probably consider both versions of Ocarina of Time the same game, but would draw the line with something like Resident Evil PS1 vs Gamecube.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote: On the other end of the spectrum, we have Ocarina of Time for N64 and Ocarina of Time 3D for 3DS. This is pretty much a remake from the ground up. As I mentioned earlier, I think it probably makes the most sense to have these games considered separately, but I'm open to discussion even on that point. It kind of depends on our philosophy of grouping games. Would someone vote for the N64 version over the 3DS version if they ended up in the same bracket? Would someone nominate one and not the other? As it turns out, yes, and some people deliberately nominated both. This seems to confirm my sense that they should compete separately.
My personal opinion is that those two games should be grouped together as well. 3D has improved visuals, reworked UI and an added boss rush mode, but I don't consider those to be big enough factors to separate the games. They both represent the Ocarina of Time experience, some may recommend one over the other, but I don't think anyone could say that someone hasn't truely experience OOT unless they played X version. My suggestion is to place the games together so that no one needs to decide and split a vote. As in it should always be refered to as "Ocarina of Time/Ocarina of Time 3D". Just like the Wind Waker case I don't think anyone here is really interested in seeing how OOT 3D compares to OOT original, but how the overall OOT experience compares to the rest of the games.

The only case I see separating OOT from OOT 3D, is the master quest. But I consider the Master Quest to be a different game entirely, and if we were to include the Master Quest as part of OOT 3D, then OOT 3D would be a compliation game and not part of the BGE. If someone were to suggest the original Master Quest, then I'd say you'd have to group it together with OOT 3D, and refer to it as "Zelda OOT Master Quest/Zelda OOT 3D Master Quest"
Last edited by The Shoemaker on 03 Sep 2015 23:41, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Yo, KW, so I notice you've been tracking the most common year. Is there any way we could get an average (mean) year? I think that would be a more interesting stat, but I understand if you don't feel like working it out.
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote:Yo, KW, so I notice you've been tracking the most common year. Is there any way we could get an average (mean) year? I think that would be a more interesting stat, but I understand if you don't feel like working it out.
The mean is 2002!
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Out of the games I replay the most, I've chosen one: Metroid Prime (NGC/Trilogy). Not a perfect game, but it's my "best" game so far.
Grt. Merlin

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Pluvius wrote:Sword of the Samurai (PC)
This is on sale on Steam today for $1.09 (at least in Canada—perhaps even cheaper in the US), so I picked up a copy. I don't think I'll have time to play it before nominations close on Thursday, but I do tend to use the BGE to get ideas for games to look out for, and this is an early example of it this year. :)
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

MerlinDrazziw wrote:Out of the games I replay the most, I've chosen one: Metroid Prime (NGC/Trilogy). Not a perfect game, but it's my "best" game so far.
Pretty bold of you to suggest only 1 game!
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
ZAJ573

Post by ZAJ573 »

Wanted to get my foot in the door before the deadline!

1) Kirby Super Star Ultra (DS) - I've beaten this more times than I can count. While the SNES original has more of a nostalgia factor, this is the definitive version. The controls, music, and graphics are just as polished as in the original, and the new games add a lot to the experience.

2) Resident Evil 4 (GameCube) - I love RE4 so much but it's hard for me to pinpoint exactly why. I think what stands it out for me is how memorable the environments are. Even though it's been about five years since I last went through this, I can still remember a lot of it.

3) Red Dead Redemption (Multiple) - This is a special kind of game, the kind that makes you optimistic about video games in general. It's a prime example of an open-world game; it's expansive but doesn't feel like it's bigger than it needs to be.

4) Portal 2 (PC) - Although it's a tough call between the two, I ended up liking this more than the original. The puzzles and the writing are both superb, and the addition of a fully-fledged level editor gave it a massive amount of replayability.

5) Team Fortress 2 (PC) - I have over 800 hours in this game. I have nothing more to say, goodbye

6) Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii) - While it's not as groundbreaking as the first Galaxy, this takes the tight platforming of the original and puts it into a creative new set of levels, plus a more satisfying post-game reward. I don't think there was a single level I didn't like.

7) Sid Meier's Civilization V (PC) - Civ 5 is both accessible for newcomers and extremely complex, and it's the first turn-based strategy game I felt like I was actually decent at. Multiple victory conditions reward both focused and balanced approaches, and diplomacy options have led to some hilarious moments with friends.

8) Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) - Xenoblade sticks to its JRPG roots while cutting the fat typically found in the genre. The battle system is satisfying and requires minimal grinding, the characters are multi-dimensional and likable, and the environments are surprisingly large and complex, especially for the Wii.

9) Super Meat Boy (Multiple) - While it's (in)famous for being super hard, the difficulty rises at a manageable rate, and it's my favorite kind of difficulty where there's very little punishment for messing up. Getting 106% is one of my greatest gaming achievements.

10) Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (DS) - The story and gameplay of Ghost Trick are both phenomenal, and neither one outshines the other. It's not a long game, but it never feels like it's wasting your time.
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

ZAJ573 wrote:Wanted to get my foot in the door before the deadline!

1) Kirby Super Star Ultra (DS) - I've beaten this more times than I can count. While the SNES original has more of a nostalgia factor, this is the definitive version. The controls, music, and graphics are just as polished as in the original, and the new games add a lot to the experience.

5) Team Fortress 2 (PC) - I have over 800 hours in this game. I have nothing more to say, goodbye
You're alright in my book.
Turai
Aspirant

Post by Turai »

ZAJ573 wrote:
10) Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (DS) - The story and gameplay of Ghost Trick are both phenomenal, and neither one outshines the other. It's not a long game, but it never feels like it's wasting your time.
"Just one more chapter. The Game." More fitting name for this game.