Game of Thrones (contains serious, massive SPOILERS)

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (May contain spoilers)

Post by SkyPikachu »

That last battle was insane. I didn't know who I wanted to win I didn't want either of the 3 main(ish) characters to die.

The Dickon stuff is insanely funny.

That scene with Missandei and Danny smirking was funny
Drumble doesn't respect the sigs so here's a link to my backloggery
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote:That last battle was insane. I didn't know who I wanted to win I didn't want either of the 3 main(ish) characters to die.
This is a sign that they've invested well in all those characters throughout the show. There's not a clear antagonist/protagonist divide. Just the horror of war. Great scene.
Slurmee wrote:The Dickon stuff is insanely funny.
Bronn losing his shit at Dickon's name was a highlight for sure.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Man that last episode of the season was amazing.
Spoiler
I totally called the dark dragon reanimation after it was killed even before it happened at the end. I am wondering if there are more that just the Night King and his three cronies. It seems that all you have to do is kill the white walker that animated the dead person / animal.
I am very excited to see how this all ends up. Still would be amazingly trollish if the Night King just slaughters everyone and the series ends with him sitting on the iron throne.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kreegs wrote: 21 Aug 2017 21:52 Man that last episode of the season was amazing.
Spoiler
I totally called the dark dragon reanimation after it was killed even before it happened at the end. I am wondering if there are more that just the Night King and his three cronies. It seems that all you have to do is kill the white walker that animated the dead person / animal.
I am very excited to see how this all ends up. Still would be amazingly trollish if the Night King just slaughters everyone and the series ends with him sitting on the iron throne.
Spoiler
Yeah I will say that does make everything seem a bit easy if you just have to kill the leaders, not the thousands in the wight army. Though I imagine it will make for a pretty cool scene at the end of season 8 when Jon slices the night king and you watch as all the remaining wights crumble to ash.
Can't help but laugh at the thought of the night king sitting on the iron throne, ruling a now peaceful white walker society :lol:

On that note, does anyone think the white walkers have any desires that go beyond zombies destroying all life?
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

I wonder what the white walkers would do with all that land and free time. They don't seem to have much personality, or appetite for recreation in a now peaceful society.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kreegs wrote: 21 Aug 2017 22:35 I wonder what the white walkers would do with all that land and free time. They don't seem to have much personality, or appetite for recreation in a now peaceful society.
And based on this last episode, it doesn't seem like they are great swimmers so I can't imagine they'd try to go to Essos either! Unless the ever lasting winter can freeze the ocean over?

Would the White Walkers get rid of all the Skeleton wights if they had no one to fight? Clearly they are just battle fodder and don't mean anything to them, they would just take up space.

The white walkers in the books are shown laughing in one scene so maybe they can make jokes to each other to pass the time.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Spoiler
Bronn, Jamie, Tormund & Jon should all have died the amount of plot Armour was insane. Bronn and Jamie both fought off a dragon and jumped into water without drowning the Armour would have been so heavy. Tormund & Jon both were dragged away by walkers and Jon was submerged into ice cold water after being stuck on a rock for 2-3 days. There's no way in hell you fight have wights in that water and don't drown and then after that not be killed by the hoards of wights/walkers and somehow ride back on a horse.
This is really took me out of the show it just was way to unrealistic and it feels like they can't be killed and that's what I loved about the show it wasn't scared to kill off main or very popular characters.
Drumble doesn't respect the sigs so here's a link to my backloggery
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Slurmee wrote: 24 Aug 2017 11:27
Spoiler
Bronn, Jamie, Tormund & Jon should all have died the amount of plot Armour was insane. Bronn and Jamie both fought off a dragon and jumped into water without drowning the Armour would have been so heavy. Tormund & Jon both were dragged away by walkers and Jon was submerged into ice cold water after being stuck on a rock for 2-3 days. There's no way in hell you fight have wights in that water and don't drown and then after that not be killed by the hoards of wights/walkers and somehow ride back on a horse.
This is really took me out of the show it just was way to unrealistic and it feels like they can't be killed and that's what I loved about the show it wasn't scared to kill off main or very popular characters.
Lol yeah that's how I've been feeling since season 5.
Spoiler
They spent minimum 5 days on that rock while the white walkers just stared at them not realizing the ice had frozen over :lol:

Also, I really dislike Sansa and Arya's interactions
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote: 24 Aug 2017 16:30
Spoiler
They spent minimum 5 days on that rock while the white walkers just stared at them not realizing the ice had frozen over :lol:

Spoiler
Closer to 3 days, 4 tops, which makes sense. They would have waited longer if they had to. They wanted the dragons to show up.

What about the Sansa and Arya interactions do you not like? They're tense and uncomfortable, but they're 100% in keeping with both of their characters. Sansa is in charge, but she's freaked out by Arya acting like a freak and she also has a better eye for how tenuous their overall position is. She's also more prideful and practical now that she doesn't have to simper under whatever corrupt power has her under the thumb. I think they're doing a great job with Arya, too, since she's still a child and has an over-inflated sense of her own capabilities. Most of the internet fandom nerds seem to have this need to see Arya as a total unhinged badass, but she's actually only a low-ranking badass with some minor training who, due to being a self-centred teenager who's spent a lot of time alone, thinks she's the coolest kid in the world. She also hasn't seen Sansa in like 8 years, and they didn't get along when they were kids, and they're sisters, and they're kind of competing for the place their memories and legacies of Winterfell have for them.

All that said, it would be nicer if they had more time to explore these interactions. In general, I don't mind the increased pace of the show through the major plot points. The main reason it works is because most of the character interactions are already fleshed out, but this new dynamic between Arya and Sansa doesn't have the benefit of that. So it would be better if we got to see more of it. It would allow more detail and nuance. The only way I'd say I don't "like" those scenes is purely because I'm nervous of what the end result is going to be with Pointy-beard McSchemes-a-lot in town.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote: 24 Aug 2017 17:05
The Shoemaker wrote: 24 Aug 2017 16:30
Spoiler

Spoiler
Closer to 3 days, 4 tops, which makes sense. They would have waited longer if they had to. They wanted the dragons to show up.

What about the Sansa and Arya interactions do you not like? They're tense and uncomfortable, but they're 100% in keeping with both of their characters. Sansa is in charge, but she's freaked out by Arya acting like a freak and she also has a better eye for how tenuous their overall position is. She's also more prideful and practical now that she doesn't have to simper under whatever corrupt power has her under the thumb. I think they're doing a great job with Arya, too, since she's still a child and has an over-inflated sense of her own capabilities. Most of the internet fandom nerds seem to have this need to see Arya as a total unhinged badass, but she's actually only a low-ranking badass with some minor training who, due to being a self-centred teenager who's spent a lot of time alone, thinks she's the coolest kid in the world. She also hasn't seen Sansa in like 8 years, and they didn't get along when they were kids, and they're sisters, and they're kind of competing for the place their memories and legacies of Winterfell have for them.

All that said, it would be nicer if they had more time to explore these interactions. In general, I don't mind the increased pace of the show through the major plot points. The main reason it works is because most of the character interactions are already fleshed out, but this new dynamic between Arya and Sansa doesn't have the benefit of that. So it would be better if we got to see more of it. It would allow more detail and nuance. The only way I'd say I don't "like" those scenes is purely because I'm nervous of what the end result is going to be with Pointy-beard McSchemes-a-lot in town.
Spoiler
I don't know man, Cersai said it takes about 5 days for a raven to fly from the wall to Kingslanding, which is about the distance to Dragon Stone. Not sure how fast drogon can go with Danny holding on with no face protection, plus yknow, Gendry and his magic feet.

Regardless of the time, I found the whole, Jon waits on a rock for x number of days while the white walkers waited for Dany to be a bit silly, even if the big plan was the get a dragon over there.

Personally, just not a big fan of the combative direction they took Arya and Sansa, feels forced. All the Stark reunions have been disappointing and lacking in emotion, which could very well be the point, just not something I enjoy. But i also haven't been a fan of Arya or Sansa since season 4.