"new" Nintendo 3DS announced

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Starmancer
☆Magic Man☆

Re: "new" Nintendo 3DS announced

Post by Starmancer »

I'm not confident in this. At all. This was everything I had hoped Nintendo wouldn't do -a marginal upgrade that has its own features, therefore requiring its own features, yet isn't enough of an upgrade to be called a successor. This could either bomb horribly, thus making it a waste of time, or it could do so well that it phases out the old system, thus forcing me to sell my 3DS before my current investment has actually been made worth it, only for Nintendo to announce a successor in less than two years. Or maybe just another upgrade. Maybe that'll be their thing now, just like the freakin' Phone and computer industry. Either way, I'm sitting this one out.
Backloggery

Look Ma, Imma Star!
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

Pluvius wrote:The changes brought by the DSi amounted to an online store and a handful of exclusive shovelware.

Rob
Now come on, that's just not true: There was also an extremely poor quality camera.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

VictorViper wrote:I was wondering when we'd hear from someone who's good and upset about this. Product revisions are one thing, but locking out 16 million established users from future titles seems like madness to me. This really does feel like a SEGA move...
I really, really doubt Nintendo will develop most of their games for the New 3DS and abandon 40 million users. I think there will be a few releases for the system and that's it, Nintendo doesn't usually require much power for their games. I really think it's a wait and see with this system, but I'll go out and say it right now that I think the next big Pokemon game will not be exculsive for the New 3DS. They released Black and White 2 on the DS when the 3DS had already been released, I think they will do the same kind of deal here so I think it's ridiculous to assume every first party game (I doubt there will be any big third party games on this) will be exclusive to the new 3DS from here on out. Not that anyone here said that, I'm just putting it on the table.

I think when Nintendo was making the New 3DS they thought it felt really dated so they wanted to make it run things faster and download quicker, so they increased the CPU. Now that they had a better CPU they realized they could further advance what 3DS games can do and that's how the New 3DS came to get exclusive games.

I'd say one of the main reasons this is being released is for the built in NFC. The fact that they're making a an add on for the normal 3DS to support NFC tells me that they don't plan on halting support for it any time soon.

Also Kaiwaii, with this New 3DS you can transfer your save data wirelessly to your computer so you don't need to worry about transfering stuff too much.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Post by kawaiipikachu »

A Beta Fu7ure wrote:
Pluvius wrote:The changes brought by the DSi amounted to an online store and a handful of exclusive shovelware.

Rob
Now come on, that's just not true: There was also an extremely poor quality camera.
Well the DS had the face training camera
So in the end the only things the DSi had that the rest of the DS line didn't have is really the eshop download service.
"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a wind swept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
"
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

Pluvius wrote:The changes brought by the DSi amounted to an online store and a handful of exclusive shovelware. The fact that a port of Xenoblade Chronicles has already been announced for the N3DS suggests that things will be different this time.
A port suggests things will be different? A port? I think Shoemaker's got things about right here. I could see Nintendo increasing the amount of exclusive releases to this new thing over time, depending on how long they're hoping to ride out the 3DS, but probably most releases will not be exclusive. I could see a lot more console ports being done with this new hardware though. My guess by the way is that Nintendo are intending to ride out the 3DS for a while, and that this is not a Sega type move. The thing about Sega is they were not terribly committed to sticking with even consoles in some cases, I'm not sure I would accuse Nintendo of the same(one would more likely accuse them of the opposite).

I'm sure interested in hearing about that supposed battery life improvement though. Maybe I should wait for the XL version of this "new" 3DS.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I don't disagree this could end up amounting to very little depending on how software is handled from here. I really do think it's a legitimately desirable console, as a non-owner. But as far as I'm concerned it would only take one seriously-must-play game to land as an exclusive to get me right pissed as an owner. Console lust is one thing, but when my system doesn't play my system's games, it sucks.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

kawaiipikachu wrote:
A Beta Fu7ure wrote:

Rob
Well the DS had the face training camera
So in the end the only things the DSi had that the rest of the DS line didn't have is really the eshop download service.
No version of the regular DS had a camera, Kawaii. Some peripheral that only came with an obscure Japanese only game is not the same thing as an inbuilt camera and software. However poor it was.

The terrible DSi camera was actually insanely popular in Japan. I saw people using it everywhere back in the days when the Japanese loved DS's as much as they love phones and tablets now. I've no doubt it sold plenty of systems over there.
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Post by pdSlooper »

Pluvius wrote:The changes brought by the DSi amounted to an online store and a handful of exclusive shovelware. The fact that a port of Xenoblade Chronicles has already been announced for the N3DS suggests that things will be different this time.

Rob
I kind of agree. At least, they want it to be different. Xenoblade Chronicles was extremely popular, as I recall. I certainly want it, but there's nothing wrong with my 2DS and I'm not upgrading for a single game, or even a handful.

I'm wondering how they're going to use the upcoming Pokemon games (Omega Ruby and whatever Sapphire) to promote the "New" 3DS. Probably some bundles...
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

TheGreatNads wrote: I'm sure interested in hearing about that supposed battery life improvement though. Maybe I should wait for the XL version of this "new" 3DS.
I think it's only extended by 2 hours, estimated 3.5-7 hours. But the fact that you can remove the back of the system easily makes me think you'll be able to replace the battery.

Idealy, I`d like it if they used this new hardware to it`s full potential, but I wouldn`t mind if they simply found a way to make games work faster and stabler on the New 3DS compared to the original.

I wonder if this will effect the Virtual Console at all. It`s speculated that the 3DS can`t properly emulate SNES and GBA games, perhaps this New 3DS can.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

This was my thought. The DSi only had something like 1-2 cooking games as post-iteration exclusives. Xenoblade alone is enough to make this nuts. I think they know, plain and simple, that their core audience is happy to buy handheld systems like treats on the weekend. I already know people who have multiple DS systems, just 'cause.

I predict we'll see a lot of second-hand 3DS and 3DS XL systems hitting the market soon...
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming