Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Re: Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Post by Claytone »

The Shoemaker wrote: Yes but it's clearly faster than Brawl. It's good they don't try to make the game too fast because it has simple controls for a reason; to encourage those unfamiliar with fighting games to play. When me and my friends play Brawl, the one's that don't are always sitting there wondering how we know what we're doing because the game's moving so fast :p I'm not sure if you're just taking about personal preferance but for the competitive players I don't think they need it to be any faster (though I'm sure they want it), they just need the additional tactics like L-canceling and what not. The number of movement options available in Melee has only gone down since, much to the chagrin of the competitive community. There is continued concern that Smash 4 may feature even fewer movement options, which would make for an even campier, more defense-oriented game than Brawl, which is an absolute bore to watch (and can result in meta so boring that it literally involves situations in which neither party should move because their actions from a given state are so predictable that anything they do can be countered with deadly effectiveness by a player that knows what they're doing).

As for the pic of the day, I'm not really sure what he's talking about :p Is he saying the opponents can shoot it down or the captive? Or is he talking about shooting it before it catches anyone?

Also, Villager's eyes reveal his dying lust for Villagette.
Yes, it does look a bit quicker than Brawl. Speed would definitely affect the competitive meta, though, especially falling speed. Higher fall speed means more combos, generally speaking. And yes, L-cancelling and other things returning would be great too. Mostly what the competitive community, speaking generally, wants is movement options. The reason for this is that lots of movement options allow for lots of approach options. Lots of approach options make you less predictable, which makes approach safer. Safer approach means safer offense, which means more offense, which makes games more enjoyable to watch (and arguably more enjoyable to play).

As far as the PotD comment, he's referring to a mechanic in Galaga. When an opposing Boss Galaga (the ship seen in the pic) uses its tractor beam, it can abduct the player, which it takes to the other side of the screen. This costs you a life, but if you shoot down the Boss Galaga later without hitting the ship that was abducted, it returns to your side, and you get "dual-fighters," which you control at once for double firepower.
You got BOOST power!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Claytone wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote: Yes but it's clearly faster than Brawl. It's good they don't try to make the game too fast because it has simple controls for a reason; to encourage those unfamiliar with fighting games to play. When me and my friends play Brawl, the one's that don't are always sitting there wondering how we know what we're doing because the game's moving so fast :p I'm not sure if you're just taking about personal preferance but for the competitive players I don't think they need it to be any faster (though I'm sure they want it), they just need the additional tactics like L-canceling and what not. The number of movement options available in Melee has only gone down since, much to the chagrin of the competitive community. There is continued concern that Smash 4 may feature even fewer movement options, which would make for an even campier, more defense-oriented game than Brawl, which is an absolute bore to watch (and can result in meta so boring that it literally involves situations in which neither party should move because their actions from a given state are so predictable that anything they do can be countered with deadly effectiveness by a player that knows what they're doing).

As for the pic of the day, I'm not really sure what he's talking about :p Is he saying the opponents can shoot it down or the captive? Or is he talking about shooting it before it catches anyone?

Also, Villager's eyes reveal his dying lust for Villagette.
Yes, it does look a bit quicker than Brawl. Speed would definitely affect the competitive meta, though, especially falling speed. Higher fall speed means more combos, generally speaking. And yes, L-cancelling and other things returning would be great too. Mostly what the competitive community, speaking generally, wants is movement options. The reason for this is that lots of movement options allow for lots of approach options. Lots of approach options make you less predictable, which makes approach safer. Safer approach means safer offense, which means more offense, which makes games more enjoyable to watch (and arguably more enjoyable to play).

As far as the PotD comment, he's referring to a mechanic in Galaga. When an opposing Boss Galaga (the ship seen in the pic) uses its tractor beam, it can abduct the player, which it takes to the other side of the screen. This costs you a life, but if you shoot down the Boss Galaga later without hitting the ship that was abducted, it returns to your side, and you get "dual-fighters," which you control at once for double firepower.
Yes I can understand that, and adding more movement options doesn't sound like it would take away from those playing casually so I definitely think it could work, but I don't think they're going to appeal to that side of the fanbase much honestly.

Pic of the day:
Comment: In this Smash Bros. installment, this little guy is also making an appearance! I…don't know his name, but he's the Prince of the Sablé Kingdom. He's from the Game Boy game Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru (translated as The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls), which was only released in Japan.
Comment: Here's the trophy of the Sablé Prince. He transforms into a snake or a frog, and unloads multiple attacks on any opponent he catches. Keep attacking your foes when they're trapped in his dust cloud.

It's cool seeing characters like these being revived for Smash, as unknown as they are. For a lot of them it's their first time being represented in 3D, nevermind HD.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

Coming from the masteemind, Mr. Sakurai...

Pic of the day. Look at these three radiant pieces... Yup, you guessed it! It's another combinable item like the Dragoon-the Daybreak.

This is what it looks like when all three parts are combined together. How powerful will its beam blast be? FYI, you can fire shooting items while moving backward and forward. Change direction by flicking the Control Stick or Circle Pad toward the back of the fighter.

[Vernon: That's a sweet weapon by the way; reminds me of the Three Sacred Treasures in Kid Icarus: Uprising!]
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I thought it was the Three Sacred Treasures but I guess Pit gets that as a Final Smash. I'm assuming The Daybreak is the item from the multiplayer in Kid Icarus Uprising. Same idea, collect all three pieces, get a crazy advantage.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Pic for Aug. 8th:
Comment: Pic of the day. "♪Ba-ding!♪". If you turn on the 3D effect, it really looks like there's a Game Boy inside the screen.

At first glance I assumed this was the return of the Masterpieces from Brawl, but now it looks like it will be a stage. Cute how the characters have a black and white tone to them, I initially thought they were 8-bit!
evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

The character colour is definitely just their costumes. Kirby and his black and white colour... Dedede's hammer makes it obvious.

I wonder if this is supposed to be Game and Watch's new stage. I feel like it can end up similiar to the Flatzone stages.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

evildevil97 wrote:The character colour is definitely just their costumes. Kirby and his black and white colour... Dedede's hammer makes it obvious.

I wonder if this is supposed to be Game and Watch's new stage. I feel like it can end up similiar to the Flatzone stages.
You think so? The colours look a little too bland too be costumes, maybe just weapons don't change. I think this will just be a retro looking stage, go through GameBoy history. Or maybe it's for the Game and Watch GB games.
evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Palette_swap_%28 ... ing_Dedede

The colours match with their Brawl counterparts, at least.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

evildevil97 wrote:http://www.ssbwiki.com/Palette_swap_%28 ... ing_Dedede

The colours match with their Brawl counterparts, at least.
You might be right, Sakurai is probably just trying to make them look black and white with palate swaps.

Pic of the Day:
Comment: "Hello! I'm Samus, the intergalactic bounty hunter!" "And I am Meta Knight, joining the battle!!"

So, I guess Meta Knight is back? :p
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Pic of the Day:
Comment: "Looks like there was an impostor in the earlier posts, so I introduced him to my sword!" ...I'll leave it up to your imagination if he really said that or not. The veteran hero, Meta Knight, returns to battle!! We didn't forget the Battleship Halberd either!! Meta Knight's Up Special Move, Shuttle Loop, changed quite a bit in this game. The glide is gone, and the attack slashes opponents twice while spinning in a large loop. This has turned into a highly technical and effective move.

Looks like he is back! Lets hope they balanced out his tornado spin move.

Some folks have noticed that Meta Knight shows some armor damage in some pictures but not in others; the consensus is that fighters will actually show physical damage now. Like how we've seen Little Mac with a band-aid on his cheek.