E3 Mega Thread 2015

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Re: E3 Mega Thread

Post by VictorViper »

Sharecrow wrote:Big numbers. B-I-G.
Did you take into account expansion? :twisted:
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

VictorViper wrote:
Sharecrow wrote:Big numbers. B-I-G.
Did you take into account expansion? :twisted:
I did not. Also passed on estimating console growth and decline, which would make the numbers much more impossible. Not to mention how even a "hardcore" gamer doesn't play all day every day.

I presume that since the variability cannot be more complex than the formulas deriving it, the game would still become redundant much sooner than every technical possible planet got visited by a player. It's still an intriguing scope, though. I'll watch the trailer tonight.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Re: E3 Mega Thread 2015

Post by VictorViper »

Pew-pew! Whooooooooosh! Zap! ;)
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
neuzd
Ω

Post by neuzd »

I just feel the need to take you back to Earth somehow.
There's a certain space simulator that is 15 years old that has a galaxy of almost 80 billion systems (don't ask about the planets...) and is 200000 LY across from side to side. Programmed by a single man, in the late 90s, and weighs about 1MB.
That said, we (at that community) are pretty excited about No Man's Sky because it seems like the only replacement for our beloved (and old) simulator, but procedural generation is nothing new and insane numbers have never been a problem for computers.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

neuzd wrote:I just feel the need to take you back to Earth somehow.
There's a certain space simulator that is 15 years old that has a galaxy of almost 80 billion systems (don't ask about the planets...) and is 200000 LY across from side to side. Programmed by a single man, in the late 90s, and weighs about 1MB.
That said, we (at that community) are pretty excited about No Man's Sky because it seems like the only replacement for our beloved (and old) simulator, but procedural generation is nothing new and insane numbers have never been a problem for computers.
I didn't mean to sound like I felt the numbers themselves were insane. They're just numbers. I did the calculations in Excel after all and it didn't even have to think about them ;). What I meant was insane is how the game can't be completed by any person. It's size. But certainly not how it got there. Although I do think that you wouldn't be able to economically make a game like that without leveraging procedural generation. Your file size would be super expensive to store and process not to mention the man hours involved in programming everything.

Games not being complete-able is pretty normal too, though what makes it impossible varies game to game.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Sharecrow wrote:What I meant was insane is how the game can't be completed by any person.
The game can definitely be completed, as long as the game isn't about exploring every single one of those individual planets. Just because a game has open options doesn't mean every single option has to be exhausted to have a complete experience. I know you know this, and I don't mean it to detract from the awesome (in the original sense) scope of the game's universe, but I think it's worth maintaining some perspective as to what that scope means (which I think it what neuzd was also getting at).
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Pluvius
Owner of Steam
Owner of Steam

Post by Pluvius »

Kong Wen wrote:
Pluvius wrote:I just fucking bought Dishonored today. Really, really hating this trend of re-releasing games that are only a year or two old.
On the bright side, it can't have cost more than a few bucks?
Yeah, I don't really have to worry much about money anymore. It's just the principle of the thing.

Rob
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Kong Wen wrote:
Sharecrow wrote:What I meant was insane is how the game can't be completed by any person.
The game can definitely be completed, as long as the game isn't about exploring every single one of those individual planets. Just because a game has open options doesn't mean every single option has to be exhausted to have a complete experience. I know you know this, and I don't mean it to detract from the awesome (in the original sense) scope of the game's universe, but I think it's worth maintaining some perspective as to what that scope means (which I think it what neuzd was also getting at).
Maybe. I think if you haven't seen everything that's in a game it's not complete even if you've experienced however many outcomes of the procedural generation (depending on its breadth) while playing it. But this is getting into :c: definitions and stuff so the fact that there are whole worlds in the game no one will ever visit makes it tough for me to think a single person can say they have completed it. But I disagree when people say they :c: stuff that they didn't :c: on BL but it's just a game and just an assertion so I never really get bugged by it.

Edit: To be clearer, it seems to me the object of this game is exploration. That's why I feel like it can't be completed. But I may not understand what the game is about since I never really heard about it before today.

Edit 2: At least exploration would be my object if I opt to play this :)
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Full wrap up.

Bethesda
Didn't watch, none of their games interest me.

Microsoft
Backwards compatibility sounds nice.
Recore trailer looked awesome I don't know what type of game it is though.
Rare Replay looks cool too if they're all the full titles (if not and they're just bits of the game then meh) if so I wonder what the price tag will be.

EA
Unravel looks amazing and beautiful something right up my alley (I said amazing and EA in the same sentence far out)
Mirrors Edge looks neat (I've liked what I've played so far in 1)

Ubisoft
The original South Park was amazing and the new one looks just as good.

Sony
The Last Guardian - Oh my god it looks great.
Horizon Zero Dawn - The world looks beautiful and I also like female main characters.
Dreams - I was so utterly confused and scared by this game I just don't understand and that's why I'm adding it here.
No may sky - looks interesting but I'm unsure about it.

(They showed FF7 remake and rise of tomb raider but I'm excuding them as they're squares games)

Nintendo
Star Fox Zero - I've never played any of the games. After watching I wasn't super excited about it and the treehouse stuff bored me.
The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes - If it's singleplayer too then yay if not I'm going to pass.
Xenoblade X - I'm unsure about this I might check it out. I have yet to play the original.
Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival - Where's Animal Crossing Wii U?
Yoshi’s Woolly World - Coming out in a week in Australia but my god does it look cute. (We knew about this though nothing new was mentioned)
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam - Best announcement by nintendo and something that looked promising. (Will wait for reviews considering stick star got horrid reviews)
Super Mario Maker - Milking the cow here a lot. It looks fun for the right price ($30)

No Pokemon, No 3D mario, No Sunshine remake, No Animal Crossing Wii U, No Metroid U, No Zelda Wii U and no new IP.

Considering Nintendo was what I was looking forward to most I wasn't super excited by this.

Square Enix
Rise of the Tomb Raider looks cool still gotta play the original.
Final Fantasy VII Remake also will be something I pick up considering what everyone keep saying about it.
World of Final Fantasy looks adorable and I'll keep an eye on it.
Kingdom Hearts iOS game - Oh they trolled me hard and I was fuming.
Kingdom Hearts 3 - YES YES YES YES YES "Now in development" Oh I wanted a release date. Assuming it'll be Q3/4 2016 or Early 2017.
The sequel to Nier looked cool I don't know if I'll like the gameplay though.
Tomb Raider Go artstyle was amazing and I may check it out at the right price.
Project Setsuna art style again is amazing and looks cool and a new studio sounds cool.

Coming in I was just looking to find more Wii U games I liked and I came out wanting to buy a PS4 in mid to late 2016.

Also if I have to pick a winner Square Enix wins.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Slurmee wrote: Coming in I was just looking to find more Wii U games I liked and I came out wanting to buy a PS4 in mid to late 2016.
That's how I felt after it all as well :p
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons