What's the latest thing you bought?

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Re: What's the latest thing you bought?

Post by kitroplious »

What will probably end up being a buy is the Rogers NHL GameCenter Live subscription. I'm in the free period through the end of this year.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

kitroplious wrote:What will probably end up being a buy is the Rogers NHL GameCenter Live subscription. I'm in the free period through the end of this year.
I'm looking into getting in on the free period too, but I'd have to use my dad's Rogers as the basis, and I don't want to risk any funny business (automatic renewal, pestering emails, etc.).
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Post by kawaiipikachu »

A working Commodore 64 computer system breadbox style case (better SID chip)
I also got with it.
1541 floppy drive which comes complete with an undocumented feature of it squeaking if I pat it just right.
1541 MK-II drive
A box of floppies many still having software intact.
plus some cartridges including an Epyx fast loader cart.
All for five bucks.
"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a wind swept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
"
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

kitroplious wrote:What will probably end up being a buy is the Rogers NHL GameCenter Live subscription. I'm in the free period through the end of this year.
Extended it to the end of the season, as I went for a Share Everything plan this morning for my smartphone.
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Post by kawaiipikachu »

The latest thing I bought is Project Diva F2nd for the PS3.
"
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Post by kawaiipikachu »

Just over a Week ago I bought myself a PS Vita with a 16GB Memory card.
Paid with christmas money & a $40 EB Games gift card.
"
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

I got one of these today:

In fact I got this exact one, this being a picture of it along with the only game it came with. It's quite the colossus in size, easily dwarfing both the original Game Boy and the Mega Duck that I recently acquired. It's the bendy variant although the country of origin is unclear. I can't find any pictures of this exact variation with the red d-pad.

95% of it's games are apparently terrible, but I was intrigued by the one it came with: Chimera, as I'm a sucker for 3d isometric puzzlers and it's a port of a really obscure C64 game. Has anyone ever owned one of these? Is there anything else in its catalogue worth picking up?

Amusing hand-drawn screenshot. :)
Pluvius
Owner of Steam
Owner of Steam

Post by Pluvius »

A Beta Fu7ure wrote:I got one of these today:

In fact I got this exact one, this being a picture of it along with the only game it came with. It's quite the colossus in size, easily dwarfing both the original Game Boy and the Mega Duck that I recently acquired. It's the bendy variant although the country of origin is unclear. I can't find any pictures of this exact variation with the red d-pad.
Have fun with playing that port until you get to the game-killing bug like I did. And yes, that's the only game that's remotely good on the system. I'm probably one of the only people in the world that's played through most of the games on it (using an emulator on the Xbox of all things). Many of the games are literally unfinished, and there is at least one other I can think of that is unbeatable due to design errors. The Watara SuperVision is the lowest of the low in shovelware, unless you count Famiclones.

Rob
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Post by kawaiipikachu »

95% of it's games are apparently terrible, but I was intrigued by the one it came with: Chimera, as I'm a sucker for 3d isometric puzzlers and it's a port of a really obscure C64 game. Has anyone ever owned one of these? Is there anything else in its catalogue worth picking up?

Amusing hand-drawn screenshot. :)
I heard of these things.
Here's an amusing video review of this obscure game console.
"
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

Pluvius wrote:

Have fun with playing that port until you get to the game-killing bug like I did. And yes, that's the only game that's remotely good on the system.
I wouldn't mind some info on that if you can spare the details. Supervision info is hard to come by. The original Chimera for C64 also had a bug involving planting the explosives. If you weren't facing a certain direction you would die every time? Is this the same bug or something else?
It wouldn't surprise me if it was replicated since on the creator's blog he claims he can't even remember making this version (he's been trying to get a remake off the ground recently and not doing very well).
Pluvius wrote: I'm probably one of the only people in the world that's played through most of the games on it (using an emulator on the Xbox of all things). Many of the games are literally unfinished, and there is at least one other I can think of that is unbeatable due to design errors. The Watara SuperVision is the lowest of the low in shovelware, unless you count Famiclones.

Rob
Again, I'd like to read more details if you can recall them. I have carts of Crystball (bundled game) and Alien (poor man's R-Type clone) on the way.

As for the system itself. The actual visibility isn't as bad as is made out in that Ashens video, Kawaii. It could be that he has one with a dying screen. The biggest problem (lousy games aside) is, as he points out, the ghosting. Thankfully Chimera doesn't suffer from this as it is a slow moving game.

I was aware of the awful games library when I picked it up. It's more the design of the console as a conversation piece in my collection of handhelds that lured me in. The odd repositionable giant sized screen and little built in stand give it a quirky appeal to me. It's a lot more aesthetically appealing to me than another recent pickup of mine. This:

Still, I love them all like children...horrible mutant children with terrible games.