Last movie you watched & your rating

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Jelly
Beans
Beans

Re: Last movie you watched & your rating

Post by Jelly »

I happened to see the Danish movie Festen 1998, by Thomas Vinterberg. It happens to be the first movie in the Dogme 95 movement, which was started by Vinterberg and Lars von Trier. It's some sort of manifesto about not relying on advanced technology to make movies, to instead focus on storytelling and acting. So it's shot with a handheld camera and only with natural lighting.

I don't care much about that manifesto, but the movie was amazing. A bourgeoisie family gathers at the family estate to celebrate the 60th birthday of the father of the family, and as family secrets are revealed, the movie gets incredibly uncomfortable to watch..
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Jelly wrote:I happened to see the Danish movie Festen 1998, by Thomas Vinterberg. It happens to be the first movie in the Dogme 95 movement, which was started by Vinterberg and Lars von Trier. It's some sort of manifesto about not relying on advanced technology to make movies, to instead focus on storytelling and acting. So it's shot with a handheld camera and only with natural lighting.

I don't care much about that manifesto, but the movie was amazing. A bourgeoisie family gathers at the family estate to celebrate the 60th birthday of the father of the family, and as family secrets are revealed, the movie gets incredibly uncomfortable to watch..
Given that manifesto, I thought some of the shots in that films were strange decisions, like the camera on the ground as the arriving cars drive by, and the weird flying around the ceiling in the brother's room. Great movie though. I thought the overall story and execution were fantastic.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Gonna resurrect this thread!

Saw Birdman about a month ago (before I knew it was nominated for anything, for anyone seeking to scoff). Thought it was great. It was as exciting to observe aurally as visually. I still haven't decided if it was poignant or stupid, but I know I enjoyed watching it, so that's what matters!

But also mostly I just wanted to bump this thread cause it's fun.
You got BOOST power!
Jelly
Beans
Beans

Post by Jelly »

Mad Max 3.

10/10.

Emotionally affecting in its fuckin' disgustingness. Superbly crafted film.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Jelly, can you clarify whether you saw Fury Road (4th film)? Those comments don't seem appropriate for Thunderdome. :D
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

VictorViper wrote:Jelly, can you clarify whether you saw Fury Road (4th film)? Those comments don't seem appropriate for Thunderdome. :D
To help Identify your Mad Max:

Mad Max (Mel Gibson & not much else)
Road Warrior (Virginia Hey & the mighty Humungus)
Beyond Thunderdome (All the children say: we dont need another hero!)
Fury Road (The Fast & The Furiosa)

Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
Jelly
Beans
Beans

Post by Jelly »

VictorViper wrote:Jelly, can you clarify whether you saw Fury Road (4th film)? Those comments don't seem appropriate for Thunderdome. :D
Yes yes. Fury Road. :D
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

I saw Terminator: Genisys the other day. I was a pretty dumb movie, and it continues the tradition of Terminator sequels sort of destroying the integrity the series would've had if it had stopped at 2, but I enjoyed it for what it was. I really just can't ever get tired of Schwarzenegger playing the T-800. I guess it's nostalgia, but that's sort of what sequels to a franchise like this are built on.
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I forgot about this thread!

I have watched Serenity and Man of Steel this week.

Serenity was fun for someone who had just finished watching Firefly, because it really leans on the show to establish basic narrative and characterization. It did a nice job of tying up most of the lingering plot threads that were left loose by the cancellation.

Man of Steel was OK. There wasn't much in it so there's not much to talk about. There was no characterization, and even the action was just kind of uninspired big guys throwing each other long distances and moving really fast. I preferred the earlier parts were Clark anonymously helps people.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I watched Whiplash on the weekend. Hell of a film. The yellow M&M definitely deserved the Oscar he won for his role, but I can understand why the film itself didn't take many accolades. The narrative structure was odd (kind of like it was missing a second act or something, I can't quite pinpoint it), and the emotional payoff was non-traditional but still satisfying.

Great drums, great performances, lots of excellent use of tension. I recommend it for anyone who cares about music or evil assholes.