2015 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Nomination Thread

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2015-16 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.
Yasume
Aspirant

Re: 2015 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Nomination Thread

Post by Yasume »

Hey, good to see this back again! I'll probably nominate up to 50 games throughout this month.

Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

Kiwi the Tortoise wrote: Legend of Grimrock II
Suikoden II
Final Fantasy 6
M.U.L.E
Civilization V (Gods & Kings/Brave New World)
X-Com Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within
Hearthstone
FTL
Etrian Odyssey 4: Legends of the Titan
NetHack
Ogre Battle - March of the Black Queen
League of Legends

Sim City

Why this one and not any of it's sequels?
Because this one got the level of abstraction just right. Everything was clear and had it's purpose without the fiddly micromanagement that came in later installments. Simple, addicting and one of the first in it's genre.

Chrono Trigger

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now.

Kentucky Route Zero

There are ghosts in the static

Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
WindFish91

Post by WindFish91 »

About time I finally contributed to one of these. I'll add around 20 or so for now and maybe add some more as I think of them:

Mother 3 (GBA)
Earthbound (SNES)
Yume Nikki (PC)
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)
The Binding of Isaac (PC)
Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii/3DS)
Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)
Super Smahs Bros. for Wii U (er... Wii U)
Pikmin 3 (Wii U)
Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
Dota 2 (PC)
God of War (PS2)
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (multi)
Bioshock Infinite (multi)
super Mario 3D World (Wii U)
Wario Land 3 (GBC)
Banjo Kazooie (N64)
Hotline Miami (PC)
Grand Theft Auto V (multi)
Pokemon X (3DS)
Pushmo (3DS)
Psychonauts (multi)
Ratchet & Clank (any game) (PS3/PS4)
Galaga (arcade)
Just cause 2 (multi)
Fallout 3/New Vegas (multi)
Last edited by WindFish91 on 16 Aug 2015 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

WindFish91 wrote: The Binding of Isaac (PC)
Glad to see someone nominate this one. I'm playing it right now and enjoying it, not quite ready to nominate it myself though! ;)
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

Pac-Man
Galaga
Galaxian
Pole Position
New Rally X
Dig Dug
Toy Pop: Can't forget Namco's arcade gems. Toy Pop is a very unique co-op puzzle game. My sister and I spent hours playing through that on one of the PS1 Namco Museums years ago.

Kirby's Adventure
Kirby's Epic Yarn: ...And my two favourite Kirby games. Gotta nominate them.
WindFish91

Post by WindFish91 »

Ms. Pac Man (arcade)
Soldier Blade (TG-16)
Star Parodier (TG-16)
Batman: Arkham City (multi)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)
LoZ: Majora's Mask
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
SoulCalibur II (multi)
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (multi)
Final Fantasies IV, VII, IX, and XII (multi)
Kirby's Adventure (NES)
Kirby Superstar/ Ultra (SNES/DS)
Sin & Punishment (N64)
Paper Mario (N64)
Burnout Revenge/Paradise (multi)
Super MArio Galaxy (Wii)
Bastion (Xbox 360)
Splatoon (Wii U)
Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2)
Metroid Prime (Wii/GCN)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (DX) (GB/GBC) - can't leave this one out! ;)
Half Life 2 (PC)
Portal 1 & 2 (multi)
Team Fortress 2 (multi)
Bayonetta 1 or 2 (multi/Wii U)
Pokemon Puzzle League (N64)
Excitebike 64 (N64)
Any Gradius Game (multi)
Any of the DS Professor Layton games
Plants vs. Zombies (multi)
Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
Rayman Origins (multi)
Klonoa: Door to Pantomile/Klonoa/Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil (PS1/Wii/PS2)
White Rider

Post by White Rider »

VictorViper wrote:
White Rider wrote: Crimzon Clover: World Ignition
I've really heard nothing but good things about this, but I generally hate doujin shooters. Hopefully it gets a port, as my mac won't run it.
I never paid much attention to doujin shmups before I played Crimzon Clover: World Ignition. Before that everything just looked like Touhou to me. But after I had invested my 40 hours into CC:WI I started playing other doujin shmups. The difference between CC:WI and a lot of other doujin shumps is that Crimzon Clover has a pretty good learning curve. Getting a 1 credit clear on Novice (the easiest of the three difficulties) is not an incredibly difficult task as long as you can identify your mistakes and learn from them. Or you learn how to use your bombs conservatively.

There's not much else I can really say if you flat-out don't like shmups in general. But if you like shmups to some extent--even if you've only played Gradius/Lifeforce/Salamander, Raiden, Strikers 1945, etc--I'd recommend Crimzon Clover: World Ignition in a heartbeat.

Some other non-bullet hell doujin shmups I can recommend on PC are Satazius and Supercharged Robot Vulkaiser--though unfortunately neither seem to have Mac ports. I also recommend Alltynex Second, although the bosses of later stages have denser bullet patterns.

oh wait this is the BGE thread not some general video gaming thread welp
Yasume
Aspirant

Post by Yasume »

1. Banjo-Kazooie (N64) 2.Banjo-Tooie (N64)
Tooie is my favorite game of all time and Kazooie was almost on par with it as well. I've fantastic memories playing these games as a young teen. Collecting all the jiggies, jinjos and what-not was a blast. I replayed Tooie a couple years back and it was just as amazing as I remembered it.

3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (NDS) 4. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice For All (NDS) 5.Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations (NDS) 6. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (NDS) 7. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (NDS) 8. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (3DS)
Still my favorite franchise to date. Some were less amazing than otters, the original trilogy being the best and AAI the worst, but they all got that magic and captivate you 'til the end. All in all sublime mystery novels.

9. Fire Emblem: Füin no Tsurugi (GBA) 10. Fire Emblem (GBA) 11. Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (GBA) 12. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GCN) 13. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii) 14. Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
Put over a 1000 hours in these games together. Most addictive turn-based strategy series of all time. Eagerly anticipating the next 3DS entry.

15. The Walking Dead (PC) 16. The Walking Dead: Season 2 (PC) 17. The Wolf Among Us (PC)
My favorite Point & Click adventures. I've rarely felt thát emotinally attached to video game characters. Please make more of these TellTale.

18. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (PSVita) 19. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (PSVita)
About the same quality as the Ace Attorney franchise. I was actually shocked how good it was when I started getting into it. I can definitely recommend it for fans of suspense thrillers.

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

OK team, two more clarification questions based on nominations submitted so far!

1. Kirby Super Star (SNES) & Kirby Super Star Ultra (DS) - do we consider these the same games or separate games? And if we do consider them separate, WindFish, do you want to nominate both, or choose one?

My inclination is that they're separate: the DS version adds 5 new modes, which is a substantial content upgrade.

2. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB) & The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (GBC) - a perennial favourite with colour, sound differences, and a bonus dungeon, are these separate games, or is DX an early version of a simply "HD upscale" that would get considered along with the original?

My inclination is that we group them together.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:OK team, two more clarification questions based on nominations submitted so far!

1. Kirby Super Star (SNES) & Kirby Super Star Ultra (DS) - do we consider these the same games or separate games? And if we do consider them separate, WindFish, do you want to nominate both, or choose one?

My inclination is that they're separate: the DS version adds 5 new modes, which is a substantial content upgrade.

2. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB) & The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (GBC) - a perennial favourite with colour, sound differences, and a bonus dungeon, are these separate games, or is DX an early version of a simply "HD upscale" that would get considered along with the original?

My inclination is that we group them together.
Without having played both of either, I'm going to say group them together. I don't think we're looking to find if DX is better than the original LA, but how LA as a whole compared to the rest of the games we've nominated.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons