What are you reading?

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Sharecrow »

Kong Wen wrote:Last night, I dug out my copy of Eiji Yoshikawa's Musashi (translated by Charles S. Terry) for a solidarity read-through with Sharecrow and Berlin.

I'm up to book three in Musashi Miyamoto. Fire. About 27% overall. I'm enjoying it immensely. The first book mirrored the first film pretty closely. Since then they've become pretty loosely related. But I'm still happy with both the book and the films despite that. In a way it's even a little more fun this way :)
No more nightmares, I’ve seen them all. From the day I was born, they’ve haunted my every move.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Sharecrow wrote:I'm up to book three in Musashi Miyamoto. Fire. About 27% overall. I'm enjoying it immensely. The first book mirrored the first film pretty closely. Since then they've become pretty loosely related. But I'm still happy with both the book and the films despite that. In a way it's even a little more fun this way :)
I'm lagging behind you since I haven't had a chance to read in a few days (I'm around page 200), but also still enjoying it immensely. I think this is better than his other book, Taiko. Musashi is a much more engaging character. Definitely looking forward to trying out the films when I'm done. (Actually, I suppose it's now safe for me to watch the first film, since it sticks to book 1).
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Just finished a book about the Haunted Mansion. I already had the 2nd edition, but the 3rd edition just came out so I had to buy it. It has a whole section about the Hong Kong equivalent, Mystic Manor. This book goes over the history of the Haunted Mansion, and tours each room. It explains some of the effects and reveals some of the secrets. I have never read any book about and individual attraction better than this one. There are so many wonderful pictures in this book and everything is top notch quality. I would highly recommend picking this up, as it is not only a well written book, but it gives the rest of you insight as to why I love Disney things so much. Please read this book!

http://www.amazon.com/Haunted-Mansion-I ... ed+mansion

The same author also wrote a similar book about the Pirates of the Caribbean attractions, which is also excellent.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

As I'm sure everyone already knows, my favourite book is Luo Guanzhong's Three Kingdoms. I've read the previous translations by C.H. Brewitt-Taylor and Moss Roberts (Roberts's translation is so far my favourite by a long shot), and I have a few editions of each. This morning, I went ahead and ordered a newer translation that I haven't read yet, by Yu Sumei (edited by Ronald C. Iverson):

It comes in three separate volumes, so I ordered all three, and they should be here next week. I don't think I'll have Musashi done by then, but I'm committed to finishing that before I move on to a new book, so these will be a good incentive to hurry up! :)
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

ROTK is my favorite fictional novel as well, but I lack your dedication. I've only read the C.H. Brewitt Taylor translation (with Pinyin instead of Wade-Giles) as that's the one which is online.

I've been reading a few chapters here and there from the following books:

The History of the Medieval World: From the Conversion of Constantine to the First Crusade by Susan Wise Bauer
China under Jurchen Rule which is actually a collection of essays. Edited by Hoyt Cleveland Tillman and Stephen H. West
Historical Records of the Five Dynasties written by Ouyang Xiu but translated by Richard Davis
Imperial China 900-1800 by F.W. Mote
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Since I liked The Sisters Brothers so much, I'm very tempted to order a signed copy of the author's current book, Undermajordomo Minor, which was just released. I've never really sought out a signed copy of a book before.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Just finished re-reading A Clash of Kings, the second in the Song of Ice and Fire novels. I'm definitely liking these books a lot more the second time around. I've always assumed book 2 was the weakest of the books, but I was surprised by how much happened in this book, every chapter had a very brisk pace to it. I might have even liked this book more than the first. I feel like the story really takes a push in this one, and the book was surrounded by a sense of melancholy I enjoyed. On to book three...
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

I finished three books recently.

First, I did knock out Musashi. I had a lot of fun with it and enjoyed it even more than I expected to and I already had pretty high expectations. It had some pretty awesome moments as well as some unexpectedly touching ones. I'm glad I got this one under my belt.

I also re-read Charles Dickens' Great Expecations for my first time in more than twenty years. I remember having lukewarm feelings about it the first time, but, this time, I really enjoyed it. I'm going to watch the film of it on Netflix with my wife soon if we get to it before they pull it. It wasn't without its issues, but, overall, is an outstanding work worthy of its reputation.

Finally, I read Livy's History of Early Rome for my first time. This was pretty fun to read and, as I mentioned in the chat, made me want to play an Ancient Rome Warriors game even though one doesn't yet exist. Anyway, I had gotten my grubby mitts on a copy of it so I read it and liked it. I don't expect to re-read it any time soon, though, if ever.
No more nightmares, I’ve seen them all. From the day I was born, they’ve haunted my every move.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I just finished devouring Joyland by Stephen King. It was bloody wonderful.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Reading a "sort of fiction" kind of book: The Quiet American