2015 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Nomination Thread

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2015-16 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Re: 2015 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Nomination Thread

Post by pdSlooper »

Yasume wrote:Some were less amazing than otters
I mean, otters are pretty amazing. :p
Kong Wen wrote:2. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB) & The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (GBC) - a perennial favourite with colour, sound differences, and a bonus dungeon, are these separate games, or is DX an early version of a simply "HD upscale" that would get considered along with the original?
I'd say group them together. No one would bother playing both versions, right? If I played through the original, I wouldn't play DX just for color and a bonus dungeon.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:Without having played both of either, I'm going to say group them together. I don't think we're looking to find if DX is better than the original LA, but how LA as a whole compared to the rest of the games we've nominated.
That's a good way of stating it, Shoe. If there were some really convincing reasons people might choose to vote for LA over DX (or one game over another game) then it would be interesting to keep them separate.
pdSlooper wrote:
Yasume wrote:Some were less amazing than otters
I mean, otters are pretty amazing. :p
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

Robotron 2084(arcade)
Vanquish(PS3/360)
Red Faction Guerrilla(PS3/360)
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

Kiwi the Tortoise wrote: Legend of Grimrock II
Suikoden II
Final Fantasy 6
M.U.L.E
Civilization V (Gods & Kings/Brave New World)
X-Com Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within
Hearthstone
FTL
Etrian Odyssey 4: Legends of the Titan
NetHack
Ogre Battle - March of the Black Queen
League of Legends
Sim City
Chrono Trigger
Kentucky Route Zero
Dragon Quest V (DS)

You are a child, travelling the world with your dad in search of your missing mother. Throughout this quest, you grow up, get married and eventually travel with your own children.
It's amazing how involving a story can be without lengthy exposition or much reliance on cutscenes.

Jagged Alliance 2

The country of Arulco is ruled by the dictator Deidranna Reitman after she wiped out most of the royal family in a coup. The last surviving member however escaped and hires you, due to your connections to the mercenary scene, to re-take the land and aid the rebels.
Star of the show are tense tactical battles, freedom of progression and especially the excellently voiced mercenaries themselves, a bunch of diverse people of all kinds of nationalities and capabilities, each with their unique personality and quirks. The game even contains an optional SciFi mode, which alters the campaign in a quite notable fashion.
One of the best turn-based tactical/strategical games out there.
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
WeiWenDi

Post by WeiWenDi »

Kiwi the Tortoise wrote:Dragon Quest V (DS)

You are a child, travelling the world with your dad in search of your missing mother. Throughout this quest, you grow up, get married and eventually travel with your own children.
It's amazing how involving a story can be without lengthy exposition or much reliance on cutscenes.
This is another game I'm looking forward to playing but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Ah well, I still have another month before voting starts. Need to choose wisely!
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

Kiwi the Tortoise wrote:
Kiwi the Tortoise wrote: Legend of Grimrock II
Suikoden II
Final Fantasy 6
M.U.L.E
Civilization V (Gods & Kings/Brave New World)
X-Com Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within
Hearthstone
FTL
Etrian Odyssey 4: Legends of the Titan
NetHack
Ogre Battle - March of the Black Queen
League of Legends
Sim City
Chrono Trigger
Kentucky Route Zero
Dragon Quest V
Jagged Alliance 2

The Secret Weapon of the Dinosaur Over Normandy

Sometimes words fail me when describing a game. This one combines the grand strategy of a Civ with the most intense action I have ever experienced. While it may seem simple at first, the general world building provides a surprising amount of depth. The famous poet and boxer Andre Felipe described it best: "The PM, Region/BDU Manager must submit a draft cover letter (from the ODOT Director to the OTC) in a MS Word document to the Construction Section accompanying form 734-3372 and 734-2538. (See Exhibit 5D). The draft cover letter must explain the principle reasons or events that contributed to the “increase”. Attach a vicinity and location map of the Project (from ODOT GIS Unit, 503-986-3154)" I simply can't find better words to depict my everlasting love for The Secret Weapon of the Dinosaur Over Normandy (sometimes called Frog Fractions) any better.
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
Yasume
Aspirant

Post by Yasume »

20. Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (NDS) 21. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (3DS)
This was exactly what I was looking for in a visual novel. Clever puzzles and an intriguing story filled with suspense and plot twists. ZE3 is currently my most anticipated upcoming game, so that should sum up how much I love this franchise.

22. Super Mario 64 (N64) 23. Super Mario Sunshine (GCN) 24. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) 25. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
Open world 3D Mario games are still the best ones to date. I've sunk enough hours to complete all of them save for one and a proper follow up will definitely put me over the edge to buy a Wii U.

26. Super Metroid (SNES) 27. Metroid Fusion (GBA)
I've only played through 3 games in this series for some reason, but all of them were a blast to play. It made me fell in love with the fan term "Metroidvania" and inspired me to check out similar games.

28. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
A world so empty yet so fulfilling to experience. Defeating giant monsters felt incredibly rewarding and the desire to know what the hell lies at the end was motivating enough to finish it within a week. Incredible game.

29. Tales of Hearts R (PSVita)
My first (proper) introduction to the Tales series and I've enjoyed it from beginning 'til end. The dialogue was fantastic with hilarious sketches thrown in and the characters were very likeable. Also loved the world map and its secrets. The only part I had trouble with was its battle system, but I should be able to master it on my next playthrough.

30. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64) 31. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GCN) 32. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GCN) 33. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
Another favorite series of mine. I liked all of them, but these ones stand out for me.

34. Shovel Knight (PSVita)
A fantastic modern throwback to the NES days. Can't wait 'til the DLC comes out.

35. Heavy Rain (PS3)
Superb mystery thriller with multiple outcomes. Every minute was a ride (even though I already knew the main antagonist due to an unfaithful visit on a message board).

evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

Conker's Bad Fur Day: My favourite of Rare's N64 games. Beginning as a parody of the 3D platformers, and ending throwing everything else to the wall to see what sticks. Just a great game.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis) - My favorite beat 'em up by no small margin. I have some fond memories with an old, somewhat estranged friend playing through this game over and over. This one means a lot.
You got BOOST power!
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Claytone wrote:Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis) - My favorite beat 'em up by no small margin. I have some fond memories with an old, somewhat estranged friend playing through this game over and over. This one means a lot.
What a gem!!!!
I intend to live forever, or die trying