Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Post by The Shoemaker »

MerlinDrazziw wrote:I've seen the how to play video, but they forgot to mention the buttons. During battle, I seem to find the jump button(s) too often. L and R for shielding I've rarely used (haven't noticed any effect) and the items are so random in effectiveness that it's not always clear on what items to use or leave alone. Did get a sword (Xenoblade I think) that was powerful, it KO'd the CPU with ease.
It the full game you'll be able to customize the controls so that's why they didn't show buttons. Anyways, for the demo A is your standard attack, and B is your special. X and Y are for jump, you can also jump by pressing up on the circle pad.

Basically all your moves come from A and B. You'll do a different move by holding the circle pad in a direction and pressing A or B. So there's 4 differen't A moves (A without circle pad, Up A, Down A, Left/right A) and 4 different B moves. That's about it really. R is shield, you can also shield in different directions resulting in a dodge or a roll. L is grab (also press it to let go of an item if you're holding one), you can press A to attack while grabbing or press a direction to throw the opponent. I would focus on just A and B for now.

Smash attacks are done by tapping the circle pad in any direction and pressing A at the same time. You'll be able to tell it's a smash attack because if you keep holding the button it will charge up.

Pokeballs and Assist Trophies (the item that looks like a rainbow case with a shadow inside) work the same, a random character will appear and it will help whoever threw the pokeball/used the assist trophy. So they can't hurt you if you use them. The rest you'll come to understand, boxes have stuff inside like food - which heals you.

I recommend you do what Han Solo suggested to practise you moves. Just mess around with A and B combinations and see what you like. Each character is different and has different moves that are more powerful than others.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

The Shoemaker wrote:
MerlinDrazziw wrote:I did KO a CPU, only I don't know how or when :P The end result is always a surprise. This doesn't do good to my doubts on getting the Wii U version.
Try waiting at the title screen for the "How to Play' video to pop up, might help you. Generally you weaken an opponent until they're around 60% and then you'll try to finish them off with a Smash attack (tap the circle pad in a direction and press a at the same time).

I really like what I've seen from the demo, but more than anything I'm excited to change the controls and get rid of tap jumping :p

Also, Villager's pocket move can pocket final smashes, that's crazy!
There's a how to play video :o
Drumble doesn't respect the sigs so here's a link to my backloggery
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Couple of questions.

What are coins?

How did I earn these coins?

What are the stars next to my character mean?
Han Solo
Cinephile and Gamer

Post by Han Solo »

I assume the coins and stars are same as they were in previous games. Coins are used to buy trophies and possibly other things now. To earn coins you either play through the single player modes like classic or adventure or you play multiplayer matches. The higher the difficulty setting and the better you do will increase the amount of coins you will receive from a match. For multiplayer matches you will get coins for every human player playing. So if you are playing against three computers you will only get the coins for how well you did. The stars next to your name are the accumulated KOs you have for this round of play.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Han Solo wrote:I assume the coins and stars are same as they were in previous games. Coins are used to buy trophies and possibly other things now. To earn coins you either play through the single player modes like classic or adventure or you play multiplayer matches. The higher the difficulty setting and the better you do will increase the amount of coins you will receive from a match. For multiplayer matches you will get coins for every human player playing. So if you are playing against three computers you will only get the coins for how well you did. The stars next to your name are the accumulated KOs you have for this round of play.
What are trophies and what are there purpose?

So you get 1 coin for each human playing?

Is there a rule to what gets me coins? Like KO=5 coins dealing, 100 damage=1 coin.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Slurmee wrote:
Han Solo wrote:I assume the coins and stars are same as they were in previous games. Coins are used to buy trophies and possibly other things now. To earn coins you either play through the single player modes like classic or adventure or you play multiplayer matches. The higher the difficulty setting and the better you do will increase the amount of coins you will receive from a match. For multiplayer matches you will get coins for every human player playing. So if you are playing against three computers you will only get the coins for how well you did. The stars next to your name are the accumulated KOs you have for this round of play.
What are trophies and what are there purpose?

So you get 1 coin for each human playing?

Is there a rule to what gets me coins? Like KO=5 coins dealing, 100 damage=1 coin.
Trophies have no purpose other than to collect. In the full game you can view 3D models of the trophies you've aquired, they include a little sinpit of informaion on them too. There will be trophies for basically all Nintendo series, over 500 trophies total.

Not sure how the coins are calculated, but it's more than 1 per player for sure.
Han Solo
Cinephile and Gamer

Post by Han Solo »

Trophies are just collectables that give you snippets of Nintendo history. Here are all of the trophies in Brawl for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7n7CMY ... lpage#t=95

The way coins are calculated is actually very complicated and not really important to know. In the full game you will get many more coins than you'll know what to do with. The amount of coins you get is in relation to the amount of points you get in the match. You get points for kills and lose points for dying, but there are a lot of very specific things that give you points. Here's a list of single player mode bonus points for example: http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Bonuses
squishy
Hyrule Warrior

Post by squishy »

Sorry, I was away on a mini vacation and didn't get a chance to post before I left but all the codes are gone. I think they lasted an hour maybe
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Crazy how much I've played this demo considering how limited it is!

Me and my buddy were doing some tree juggling with the Villagers. One of us would cut down a tree, the other would pocket it, then throw it back and then other would catch it as well. We kept doing that until someone missed. The funny thing is that after you catch the tree once, if you hit someone with it it's an instant KO. We decided that whenever we're both playing as Villager that would be how we settle Sudden Death rounds :lol:

Also, check out this video of Villager pocketing Link's Final Smash, I flipped out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W35BxjRrGpY
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

The Shoemaker wrote: Also, check out this video of Villager pocketing Link's Final Smash, I flipped out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W35BxjRrGpY
Word on the street is that he doesn't actually pocket the final smash (notice his shrug after doing it, indicating he pocketed nothing). The pocket merely gives a few frames of invulnerability that dodges the final smash.