Share Play

Sony discussion, including PS3, PS4, Vita, PS VR, PlayStation Network, PlayStation Mobile, PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, PlayStation TV, and Trophies.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Share Play

Post by Kong Wen »

One of the PS4 system update / features announcements Sony made at Gamescom today is a neat little feature called Share Play, coming in firmware update 2.0.

Share Play allows you to play local multiplayer games (and even some single-player games, by taking turns) with people who aren't physically in the room with you. This basically turns almost any game, even hardcore local-only couch co-op games, into online multiplayer games.

Update 2.0 will also have support for direct-to-YouTube video clip uploads.

What are some good uses of Share Play? What games can you see yourself wanting to play with friends who aren't in the room?
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Re: Share Play

Post by VictorViper »

I wonder if this would work with games that do offer online play. SNK-P are notorious for atrocious online play with their fighters, so anything even resembling a usable connection could add serious value to the service. Hell, what about once-online games? Could we see new life breathed into old titles?
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote:I wonder if this would work with games that do offer online play. SNK-P are notorious for atrocious online play with their fighters, so anything even resembling a usable connection could prove a valuable service.
I don't see why it wouldn't. I guess we'll have to wait and see. It'll be hilarious if Sony's network-streaming solution is more stable than built-in options...
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Some arbitrarily local-only co-op that come to mind are:

Pac Man Battle Royale
Double Dragon Neon
That silly Mutant Blobs game
Several Sonic Ultimate Collection entries - Streets of Rage, Alien Syndrome, Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Golden Axe, etc

That's all PS3 stuff but that's what comes to mind.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Guacamelee! is a good PS4 example.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Kong Wen wrote:Guacamelee! is a good PS4 example.
Oh I had no idea that was even two player.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Pluvius
Owner of Steam
Owner of Steam

Post by Pluvius »

This could be a coup for indie developers. The ones that haven't put netcode in their games no longer have to worry about being uncompetitive in the marketplace, while the ones that have can better use their limited resources somewhere else.

Rob
Starmancer
☆Magic Man☆

Post by Starmancer »

This is interesting to say the least. I probably won't ever use it - I don't play games with other people besides my brother and I don't see that changing...ever. But if it means more resources can go towards singleplayer, especially for smaller developers, I certainly can't help but be excited.
Backloggery

Look Ma, Imma Star!