PlayStation TV

Sony discussion, including PS3, PS4, Vita, PS VR, PlayStation Network, PlayStation Mobile, PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, PlayStation TV, and Trophies.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

PlayStation TV

Post by Kong Wen »

Formerly known as Vita TV, the PlayStation TV will be released in North America on 14 October and Europe on 14 November, according to Sony's Gamescom presentation.

It will play most Vita-compatible games, including PSN, PSOne Classic, and PSP games, on your TV. The "most" probably excludes games that rely on the Vita's gimmick functions (touch screen, etc.). It's compatible with PS3 and PS4 controllers, and can even be used to stream content using the Vita's remote play functionality to another TV in your house, so if you have a PS4 hooked up to your main TV, you can put one of these little fellahs in your bedroom and continue playing in there without needing to move your console around!

The main console will cost $100 in North America and €99 in Europe. There's also a bundle that comes with a PS3 controller, an 8GB memory card, a USB cable, and a copy of The Lego Movie Videogame for only $140, which is a screaming deal. Not only that, but Sony has also said European buyers will be given three free digital games on top of that (it hasn't been confirmed whether the same applies for North American buyers).

I'm putting in a pre-order on the $140 bundle as soon as it shows up in my local shops' systems. Is anyone else planning to pick one up? Do you have any hopes for features that haven't been revealed yet?
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Re: PlayStation TV

Post by TheGreatNads »

Wait so it's cheaper than a regular Vita? But it basically has the same capability minus a battery, some buttons, touch and gyro? For $100? That can't be right. Seems like a much better buy than a Vita console then. Why doesn't Sony bundle this thing with the PS4 and/or PS3? I'm sure you could dupe at least as many people as bought the original Playstation Vita to get such a bundle.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

TheGreatNads wrote:Wait so it's cheaper than a regular Vita? But it basically has the same capability minus a battery, some buttons, touch and gyro? For $100? That can't be right. Seems like a much better buy than a Vita console then. Why doesn't Sony bundle this thing with the PS4 and/or PS3? I'm sure you could dupe at least as many people as bought the original Playstation Vita to get such a bundle.
It's a pretty good deal, but it's a completely irrelevant deal for people who want a handheld system. Your extra money gets you a lot of tech, and portability. But perhaps this is a harbinger of a Vita price drop?

There actually are rumours that Sony is planning on releasing a PS4/PSTV bundle.
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

Kong Wen wrote:It's a pretty good deal, but it's a completely irrelevant deal for people who want a handheld system. Your extra money gets you a lot of tech, and portability.
Portability for about 2 hours or so. :mrgreen:
Last edited by TheGreatNads on 17 Aug 2014 00:30, edited 1 time in total.
Starmancer
☆Magic Man☆

Post by Starmancer »

Yeah, I think I'll get a Vita TV just so I don't have to worry about the battery all the time. I've said it before and I'll say it again: my perfect portable is a Vita with a decent battery life. I guess this is as close as I'll get.
Backloggery

Look Ma, Imma Star!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Starmancer wrote:Yeah, I think I'll get a Vita TV just so I don't have to worry about the battery all the time. I've said it before and I'll say it again: my perfect portable is a Vita with a decent battery life. I guess this is as close as I'll get.
Actually, I think a normal Vita would be as close as you'd get, since PlayStation TV isn't a portable. :)

Off-topic, but you should invest in one of these official portable chargers. It's like a handy extra battery pack. You just charge this up and keep it in your Vita case or whatever you carry your system in, and when you get low, you can plug it into this and charge it on the go. I bought one to take on my flight to Vegas and I was able to play my Vita for something like 10 hours before I needed to plug it in anywhere. Highly recommended.
Starmancer
☆Magic Man☆

Post by Starmancer »

To be fair, I don't take my handhelds outside my house, so it's as portable as I need it to be. :P
Backloggery

Look Ma, Imma Star!
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

Kong Wen wrote:Actually, I think a normal Vita would be as close as you'd get, since PlayStation TV isn't a portable. :)

Off-topic, but you should invest in one of these official portable chargers. It's like a handy extra battery pack. You just charge this up and keep it in your Vita case or whatever you carry your system in, and when you get low, you can plug it into this and charge it on the go. I bought one to take on my flight to Vegas and I was able to play my Vita for something like 10 hours before I needed to plug it in anywhere. Highly recommended.
Thanks for the heads up Jogurt, now that these things aren't $50 they might be worth a purchase.

Off-topic, but I think I'd really want a device that works like a combination of the PSTV and a Wii U controller. It would actually be a convenience for me. Maybe some console in the future.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Huh, so you don`t even need a Vita to use this? That's very interesting, convenient TV feature as well. I'll have to tell my friend about this one; he likes the Vita for its games but he doesn't want one because he doesn't care for handhelds.

If there was something like this available for the 3DS that didn't make it look like ass on a big screen I would totally get it.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:Huh, so you don`t even need a Vita to use this? That's very interesting, convenient TV feature as well. I'll have to tell my friend about this one; he likes the Vita for its games but he doesn't want one because he doesn't care for handhelds.
Yeah, you don't need a Vita for this, because this is a Vita! :) It's worth $100 just as a couch-Vita, but for someone who also owns a PS4, the value increases exponentially!