"new" Nintendo 3DS announced

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

"new" Nintendo 3DS announced

Post by kitroplious »

Some excitement, for sure! Coming from the english version of the NCL PR (additional specs here)

Nintendo Co., Ltd. will launch “New Nintendo 3DS” and “New Nintendo 3DS XL” on October 11, 2014 in Japan, at the suggested retail prices of 16,000 yen and 18,800 yen (prices not including consumption tax), respectively. The systems will be the newest members of the Nintendo 3DS family, the sales of which in Japan alone are estimated to already top 16 million units to date.

The new C-Stick, ZL button and ZR button, which will enhance the play controls of the existing Nintendo 3DS hardware, have been added, and the new “Super-Stable 3D” function will provide players with an even more comfortable 3D gaming experience. Furthermore, the new “NFC feature” will enable the use of the “amiibo™” on Nintendo 3DS.

As for “New Nintendo 3DS,” the LCD screens are bigger than those of the existing Nintendo 3DS, and the exterior design of the hardware can be customized simply by exchanging the “Cover Plates,” which will be sold separately.

As for the overseas markets, our local subsidiaries will separately confirm. However, there will be no U.S. and European launches this calendar year.

Although, we should expect it to hit the European and North American markets sometime in 2015. A new game, Xenoblade 3D was announced, and specifically plays only on these consoles, to take advantage of the new features.

Additional stuff:
- Faster CPU -- software downloads/operation are faster than old models
- you can play videos in the Internet Browser
- the standard "new" Nintendo 3DS has buttons replicating the SNES Super Famicom controller.
- Micro SD card slot
- longer battery life.
- new Nintendo 3DS has custom faceplates (the LL/XL does not)

In addition, (applies to all systems), a new system update in October will add a Theme Shop for the HOME Menu, so you can choose the background you want.

ImageImageImage
Last edited by kitroplious on 03 Sep 2014 04:32, edited 2 times in total.
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Re: "new" Nintendo 3DS announced

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

The second stick looks terrible, tiny and cramped. Really poor ergonomics and design choice, in my opinion.

Xenoblade on the 3DS instead of an HD upgrade for the Wii-U is also another terrible decision in my opinion. The game was built to be played BIG. Everything about it screams "play me on a big screen".

Sega once lost confidence in it's supporters by endlessly releasing bolt-ons and upgrades to rushed technology. Nintendo seems to be following it's example.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

A Beta Fu7ure wrote:The second stick looks terrible, tiny and cramped. Really poor ergonomics and design choice, in my opinion.
Yeah, I wish the size was about the same (or close to the same), as the other.
Sega once lost confidence in it's supporters by endlessly releasing bolt-ons and upgrades to rushed technology. Nintendo seems to be following it's example.
Hey, I'm sure the white "new" 3DS [sort of] reminds us of the Dreamcast! :P
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

kitroplious wrote:
A Beta Fu7ure wrote:The second stick looks terrible, tiny and cramped. Really poor ergonomics and design choice, in my opinion.
Yeah, I wish the size was about the same (or close to the same), as the other.
Hey, I'm sure the white "new" 3DS [sort of] reminds us of the Dreamcast! :P
I'm sure the thumb stick has been tested and is perfectly comfortable and usable however horrendously small it might look. However, the positioning is another matter. I just can't see any way that will be comfortable when it's so close to the screen and the fold of the DS itself. I'd also worry about it's durability given Nintendo's horrific records with DS products (the breaking hinges of the DS Phat and Lite and the reset problems of the DS Lite's poorly insulated circuitry).
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Well, I guess I'm buying this. I don't particularly want to, but I guess I am.
You got BOOST power!
link64
Beginner

Post by link64 »

When's the new 2DS coming out. ;)

I really don't think this is a good idea.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Looks like a really sexy upgrade. As someone who uses Miiverse and the eShop a lot the increased speed is very welcomed. Also wider viewing angles for 3D is great, definitely getting the metallic blue one. I think the C-stick is in a fine place, I would not want it under the ABXY buttons or have the buttons moved.

Only disapponting news:
- Custom face plates only fit on the new 3DS, not the new 3DS XL
- Can only use MicroSD cards.

One thing I did notice is that when you take the back cover off you can see the battery; will Nintendo allow us to switch out the battery now like with the Wii U?

I also love the custom menu themes.

EDIT: Also, what does the Y button do now on the new 3DS menu? Allow you to look at your photo library? And it appears the the volume switch is on the top part of the 3DS now, opposite to the 3D slider.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

link64 wrote:When's the new 2DS coming out. ;)

I really don't think this is a good idea.
I like most of that "New Nintendo 3DS", except the size of the right stick and it doesn't support regular SD cards (which basically screws me over).

I wonder if I can get a Japanese model... hopefully electronic cards still works from overseas on a Japanese console.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Man I am not sure if I need one. They look cool, but my original 3DS words just fine. If it breaks or something then I will get one of these. This reminds me of when the DSi came out. I wasn't going to get one, but after dropping my DS lite and breaking the hinge, I decided to get the DSi.

I LOVE the colored buttons though. The white 3DS with the colored buttons feels so "Nintendo=ish" to me. But I also loved the purple gamecube too. Just seems fun.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kreegs wrote:Man I am not sure if I need one. They look cool, but my original 3DS words just fine. If it breaks or something then I will get one of these. This reminds me of when the DSi came out. I wasn't going to get one, but after dropping my DS lite and breaking the hinge, I decided to get the DSi.

I LOVE the colored buttons though. The white 3DS with the colored buttons feels so "Nintendo=ish" to me. But I also loved the purple gamecube too. Just seems fun.
That's probably how most people feel, it really comes down to whether or not you need a new one (yours breaks) or if you want to play the new games.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons