2020 Live Stream times + E3 2020 and its future.

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

2020 Live Stream times + E3 2020 and its future.

Post by SkyPikachu »

Edit: 24th May 2020 (Added stream dates)
Edit 2: 1st June 2020 (Added stream times)
Edit 3: 2nd June 2020 (PS5 event delayed)
Edit 4: 9th June 2020 (PS5, PC Gaming Show and Guerrilla Collective dated)
Edit 5: 2nd July 2020 (Added, Devolver Digital and Microsoft + Links to old events + Simplified everything. Eg. Removed small unimportant conferences.)

Events happening instead of E3

Past Events
Sony
PS5: The Future of Gaming

EA
EA Play

JULY 11th
Devolver Digital
Devolver Digital Direct Showcase
  • PT (West Coast USA) - Saturday July 11th (Noon)
  • ET (East Coast USA) - Saturday July 11th 3pm
  • BST - (London/UK) Saturday July 11th 8pm
  • AEST (East Coast Australia) - Sunday July 12th 5am
JULY 12th
Ubisoft Forward
  • PT (West Coast USA) - Sunday July 12th 12pm (Noon)
  • ET (East Coast USA) - Sunday July 12th 3pm
  • BST - (London/UK) Sunday July 12th 8pm
  • AEST (East Coast Australia) - Monday July 13th 5am
JULY 21st-27th
Summer Games Fest Demo Event
"The event will try to make it feel like E3/PAX/Gamescom at home and feature more than 60 demos for brand new games that will be downloadable on your Xbox One for an entire week."

JULY 23rd
Xbox/Microsoft
Xbox Series X First Party Games Showcase
July 23rd
(July 24th AEST)

Edit March 11th 2020: Officially been cancelled here are statements from ESA and other big companies.
Edit: June 1st 2020: Content spoiler'd everything above is more upto date.
Spoiler
ESA/E3
After careful consultation with our member companies regarding the health and safety of everyone in our industry – our fans, our employees, our exhibitors, and our longtime E3 partners – we have made the difficult decision to cancel E3 2020, scheduled for June 9-11 in Los Angeles.

Following increased and overwhelming concerns about the COVID-19 virus, we felt this was the best way to proceed during such an unprecedented global situation. We are very disappointed that we are unable to hold this event for our fans and supporters. But we know it’s the right decision based on the information we have today.

Our team will be reaching out directly to exhibitors and attendees with information about providing full refunds.

We are also exploring options with our members to coordinate an online experience to showcase industry announcements and news in June 2020. Updates will be shared on E3Expo.com.

We thank everyone who shared their views on reimagining E3 this year. We look forward to bringing you E3 2021 as a reimagined event that brings fans, media, and the industry together in a showcase that celebrates the global video game industry.
Nintendo
“Nintendo supports the ESA’s decision to cancel this year’s E3 to help protect the health and safety of everyone in our industry—our fans, our employees, our exhibitors and our longtime E3 partners. We would like to express our concern and support for all those affected by the COVID-19 outbreak during this challenging time.”

“We’ll continue to be flexible and redirect our efforts to other ways of keeping our fans up to date about our activities and products. Because of the COVID-19 outbreak, large industry events may be untenable for the foreseeable future. But we are considering various ways to engage with our fans and will have more to share as the year continues.”
Microsoft/Phil Spencer
E3 has always been an important moment for Team Xbox. Given this decision, this year we'll celebrate the next generation of gaming with the
@Xbox
community and all who love to play via an Xbox digital event. Details on timing and more in the coming weeks
Ubisoft
The health and well-being of teams, players and partners is our top priority, so while we’re disappointed, we fully support the ESA’s decision to cancel E3 2020. E3 is and will continue to be a moment where we come together as a community and share our love of games.

We’re exploring other options for a digital experience that will allow us to share all the exciting news we have planned, stay tuned for more.
EA
"We've continued to follow the coronavirus developments around the world very closely. Clearly the situation is evolving by the day, and we've been reviewing how it will change our plans for EA PLAY 2020. We will share more soon."
Square Enix
Our 2020 lineup, and the next-generation that lies beyond, is stronger than ever for Square Enix. Where E3 has always been an incredible moment in time to showcase our upcoming games, we’re exploring other options to share our games with you. More to come, stay tuned. Thank You.
Bethesda
Nothing at this time
Assuming E3 2020 goes ahead in some fashion I'll edit this post with links to conferences and start times.

Sony/Playstation - Skipping
Microsoft - Digital Event confirmed via Phil Spencer (Confirmed Date TBA)
Nintendo - "We are considering various ways to engage with our fans and will have more to share as the year continues." (TBA)
EA - "...we've been reviewing how it will change our plans for EA PLAY 2020. We will share more soon." (TBA)
Ubisoft - "We're exploring other options for a digital experience that will allow us to share all the exciting news we have planned, stay tuned for more." (TBA)
Bethesda - Nothing at this time (???)
Square Enix - Nothing at this time (???)

Original Topic pre-cancellation.
Now the virus very well could stop the whole conference which is fancinating since its been a huge part of gaming for 25 years.

What we may see is a huge switch to digital (eg nintendo direct) over the face to face conference (stages, audiences). We also may see the show floor just not happening anymore which leaves the question what will replace it?

Also if e3 2020 doesn't go ahead will companies come back next year? It's probably better for news to come out slowly throughout the year than all at once at e3. As much as I love e3 it's probably not the best way of doing things since games get lost in everything and too much information isn't always good.

Nintendos done things well with having 4+ directs a year keeping people interested year round plus we then don't get companies feeling like they need to announce stuff to early just to fill e3.

My biggest hope is companies start making demos again and releasing them to show off their games instead of forcing us to show floors. I always felt jealous living in Australia and never being able to attend e3.

One of the games I remember the most from e3 last year was roller champions since they released a beta of it to try. This is exactly what I think needs to happen more moving forward.

I also think it would stop companies making trash games because the demos would show off how bad they are.

More so it would include the whole world in e3 and actually bring the community together.

There's no denying that online is the future but if e3 will change into an online brand or if it will be retired is something we will just have to wait and see.

I'm excited to see the future of e3 and the gaming industry
Last edited by SkyPikachu on 02 Jul 2020 04:18, edited 22 times in total.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: E3 2020 and its future.

Post by Kong Wen »

One thing to remember is that E3 is a trade show. While the demo booths on the show floors help build hype and spread awareness, the show really isn't for your basic public gamer. Trickling info out throughout the year is fine for us, but E3 is about marketing blitz and showing off for investors.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 10 Mar 2020 13:50 One thing to remember is that E3 is a trade show. While the demo booths on the show floors help build hype and spread awareness, the show really isn't for your basic public gamer. Trickling info out throughout the year is fine for us, but E3 is about marketing blitz and showing off for investors.
I feel like it has changed a lot seems like they tailor less and less to investors these days atleast conference wise since they're not boring number and statistic speeches
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Rumours flying around that E3 has been cancelled.

Apparently we will see an announcement Wednesday Morning.

Fascinated to see how this all turns out.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

It should be cancelled. Wouldn't be the end of the world. I don't think that means anything permanent, of course. Crown Virus contingencies aren't going to be in play for the rest of our lives.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

I think the worry is that companies will see how little the e3 show floor helps in this digital world and we will we see a surge in digital events like nintendo direct. I believe Sega has started doing monthly sonic events on the 20th of every month. Nintendo has been doing directs for years and Sony has something called state of play. All the conferences to the general public are best received when they're in video format not some guy yapping on for hours. They'll realise there's cheaper ways to promote to investors.

I really hope we do keep some sort of big event that's like Christmas for gaming but I don't see it happening. It's just going to mean we will have to keep track of everything.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

E3 will come back as normal next year. Conference presentations are never some guy yapping on for hours, more like several guys yapping on for 30-60 mins. Not too bad. You're not going to see the end of the Big Trade Show until shit like CES, Apple Events, Spiel, Accute, TED, etc. all close down. They'll probably all be cancelled this spring/summer, but industry won't go on without conferences, and as long as conferences are a thing, there'll be a big game/tech conference as well.

If anything, we'll get E3 as a conference as usual, supplemented by online events. Each company is going to manage their markets and investors in their own ways, but companies are only building blocks of the industry at large.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I think e3 was already in tight waters given that they don't have Microsoft, sony or EA at their venue. Nintendo is the biggest presence.

We're seeing other shows like Pax, Gamescom and The Game Awards rise up, might take the place of e3 eventually.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

As disappointing as it is for this year's E3 to be cancelled, it's not a big deal at all in a world with the internet. Nintendo will probably show a Direct in that time frame. We might lose the Treehouse stream, but that's minor in the grand scheme of things. Sony and Microsoft were doing their own things anyway. Ubisoft announced they'll be looking into a digital alternative. For those that don't physically go to E3, I don't see this changing much, if anything.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Xbox have confirmed they will host a digital event during "e3"

Nintendo said they will be working on other ways to show off content to us.