Comic Book Discussion

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Comic Book Discussion

Post by Kong Wen »

kitroplious wrote:Okay, I know this is too generic; but I've read Archie comics over the years. I can't believe it's still going on these days too! :P
That's not too generic, it's totally legit for this thread. Also, they just killed Archie not too long ago!
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

I just got my first ever graphic novel in the mail today from Amazon. I purchased Batman: The Long Halloween. Has anyone read this? I am brand new to the graphic novel genre, so I thought I would start with one of my favorite heroes.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Kreegs wrote:I just got my first ever graphic novel in the mail today from Amazon. I purchased Batman: The Long Halloween. Has anyone read this? I am brand new to the graphic novel genre, so I thought I would start with one of my favorite heroes.

Ohhhhhhh mama are you in for a treat. Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale are absolutely masterful with the Batman license and, quite honestly TLH, (and its sequel, Dark Victory) are the best Gotham yarns committed to paper. I'm an enormous fan of Sale's, and here his rough pencilwork and ink brush techniques lend a rough, gritty aesthetic to Loeb's spectacular mystery (just try to guess whodunnit. I dare ya!). Supervillain cameos abound amid Gotham's underused human garbage: good old-fashioned organized crime.

Anyway, I really want to avoid saying much here. Soak it up, get invested in the mystery, and have a great time. Dark Victory doesn't quite measure up to the genius of The Long Halloween, but it is a direct sequel (and another 12 issue arc) and so comes highly recommended as well, if you find yourself liking TLH.

[EDIT]

I can't leave this alone. First, and not to burst your bubble, but what you have is a trade paperback collected from a limited monthly, not a graphic novel. Totally aside from the point, but I love calling out technicalities.

More to the point, I wanted to just set one quick expectation regarding the story that you may or may not be aware of. TLH takes place shortly after the events (and within the framework) of Batman: Year One. You don't need to have read it to enjoy TLH (though any self-respecting Bats fan will already be familiar), but it's good to know for perspective. Part of the book's genius comes from their careful handling of this particular period of Batman lore.

I've also since learned that TLH was birthed from a DC editor's admiration of Loeb/Sale's previous work on three one-shot Halloween specials collected here, and that a third series was later released (six issues taking place concurrent with the later events of Dark Victory), entitled Catwoman: When in Rome.

I haven't read these, and plan to fix that, especially the Catwoman book. Selena Kyle/Catwoman can be Batman's most compelling villain in the right hands, and with Sale and Loeb, she's in the hands of masters. Incidentally, I landed a signed, limited sketchbook of Tim Sale's a number of years back, which included several gorgeous drawings of Catwoman and other women. Two interesting facts: The sketchbook was capturing female forms in a style akin to French fashion designers, and ended up being the basis for his sultry, broken Selena Kyle. I also just learned that it sells for well over $2,000 (I paid $4) today, about a year after my folks hawked my entire comic collection at a garage sale.

Anyway, my long winded tendencies have gotten the better of me as usual, so I'm going to cut my drooling fan boy rant short before I just start spoiling the whole god damned thing for you. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think!

[DOUBLE EDIT (!)]

Some oddities that come highly recommended:

Batman: Year 100 (Paul Pope)

The Doom that Came to Gotham (Mike Mignola & Richard Pace)

I, Joker (Bob Hall)

Note that these are all Elseworlds titles, and so stand alone from the main Batman canon. It also means they're pretty bat-shit crazy (see what I did?) and revel in toying with established Batman conventions.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Forgot the most recent comic I've read. It's a while ago, it was just before the first new Star Trek movie, and it was digital. Star Trek Countdown was a 4 part prequel to the movie and contained a lot of information you might miss in the movie. Loved the art style and the story itself. Missed out on the Countdown Into Darkness and Khan comics, but I may still get them (digital). Prices are reasonable (except for the bundled version) for a fan like me.

I've also have a digital version of a Vandersteen comic that came with voices and some moving (not animated) pictures. It was also readable without those extras.

Anyone else read digital comics? With or without enhancements?
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

MerlinDrazziw wrote:Anyone else read digital comics? With or without enhancements?
I've read one or two (with and without enhancements), but didn't care for the experience. Comics are a bit like vinyl records for me, where I've got weird little rituals that have kind of become essential creature comforts over the years. Weird stuff like smelling the fresh ink upon cracking the pages for the first time, touching the paper (yes, you read that right. If a comic is printed on high gloss, I'll usually wait for TPB, but if it's matte, I'm all about collecting the issues).

That said, I've been keeping my ear to the ground for a few years now, checking progress on full colour e-paper technology. It's coming, and when it's here, I don't expect I'll ever buy a comic or TPB again, excepting special editions (still have plans to collect the hardbound Hellboy compendiums, for example).

Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Thanks for the very informative post Vic! I am excited to dive into the world of graphic novels and/or BIG comic books! Please let me know if you think of anything else! I am really pumped up to read TLH. I started it last night and got through the first chapter.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I've definitely got general recommendations, but I'll hold off for now. Instead, I'll provide an alternative: Folks to watch for. I generally followed writers and artists when I was a serious collector, rather than titles or franchises, and it's never really led me astray. I'll admit it: While I list Daredevil and Batman as my favorite superheroes, I've never read a single issue from the monthlies. Ever. It's a method that has not only saved me some hard-earned cash over the years, but has proven a reliable springboard to other material. Once you find artists or writers you enjoy, you start to notice teams - artist/writer combos that consistently impress, colourists that elevate works to another level, etc. This is of course incredibly personal, but I'll share my small stable of creators about whom I'm particularly stalwart. In no particular order:

Mike Mignola - creator of Hellboy and my favourite comic artist of all time. Also among my favourite writers.

Warren Ellis - My favourite comics author of all time. His work is prolific and varied, with Transmetropolitan (co-created with artist Derrick Robertson, also a favourite) among his best works and one of my favorite series ever.

Sam Keith - My second favourite comic artist, his solo/independent work is... spotty, but always compelling and bizarre. Keith is a vocal advocate for female and homosexual rights, and his late works represent some of the more "out there" stories in comics, often taking a cerebral, absurdist approach to serious and intensely personal situations. I followed The Maxx through its entire run and have taken care to soak up everything he's made since (for better or worse).

Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale - The dynamic duo. I've probably said enough already. Seek out everything they do.

Frank Miller - I'll get flack here, but Miller is my guilty pleasure. His Batman works are legendary, and Sin City is a wet dream for vengeance-seeking dirtbags like me. His Robocop comic needs to be seen in the "big damn" form, BOTH in colour and monochrome. He's also written some of the best Daredevil stories and was WELL ahead of his time in terms of pushing the maturity of comics forward. For better or worse.

Kevin Smith - If this man writes a comic, BUY IT. He made the fucking Green Arrow interesting, and his 12-issue run rebooting Daredevil under the Knights line is the best superhero comic ever written. Full stop.

Grant Morrison - Funny, bizarre, brilliant. Find the first collected trade of The Invisibles and go from there. Spectacular.

Garth Ennis - Hilarious, disgusting, genius. He gave us The Preacher and that's where you should start. He's also the only guy in comics to give a compelling reason to read The Punisher (Marvel MAX) other than Frank Miller. Preacher is an absolute must-read.

Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso - one could start and finish with 100 Bullets, but I'm half way through their 12-issue Spaceman, which confirms they aren't one-trick-ponies. Gritty stuff, and 100 Bullets in particular is one of the poster children for comics as a medium for mature storytelling.

Katsuhiro Otomo - Akira. Fucking get Akira. All of it. Now. I mean right now.

I get this awful feeling that I'm missing something essential, but I'm being beckoned for a game of Mexican Train. I'll do my usual edit if it comes to me.

Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

If you could give me a christmas list of 5 books, what would they be?

My favorite hero is Batman. I also enjoy Spiderman and Fantastic Four from Marvel.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Kreegs wrote:If you could give me a christmas list of 5 books, what would they be?
I'm not well versed in Spiderman or F4, and I'll presume you've read and are otherwise on the right track already with Batman, so I'll focus on this and invite everyone to participate!

For me:

Hellboy - Seed of Destruction (TPB collection of first arc)

Marvel Visionaries: Kevin Smith with Joe Quesada & Jimmy Palmiotti (TPB collection of Kevin Smith's Marvel Knights Daredevil reboot, "Guardian Devil")

Preacher: Gone to Texas (TPB collection of first arc)

Transmetropolitan - Back on the Street (TPB collection of first few issues)

Y: The Last Man - Unmanned (TPB collection of first arc)

Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Thanks for the list. If anyone else has any good ones, let me know!