Comic Book Discussion

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Comic Book Discussion

Post by Kong Wen »

A friend of mine just lent me Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe, a short run of 3-4 issues in compiled form. It's a story about... Deadpool, well... killing everyone. Because they have to fit so much killing into the book, most of the encounters are pretty perfunctory. But the action is secondary to the conceit anyway, so it's not a big deal.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Just finished All-Star Superman. My goal with purchasing this was to see how it's possible to make Superman compelling. He's among the most iconic characters in all of popular media, but with only my cursory knowledge of his lore, I never got the appeal. How can a guy that's essentially godlike in abilities be interesting? This 12 issue series finally answered that question for me with a resounding "easily." The Man of Steel can be and very much is an interesting hero.

What was particularly cool about this imprint as well is that over the course of its 12 installments, it pretty much threw all of the Superman hallmarks at the reader without any of it ever feeling contrived. Inasmuch as I was seeking an introductory work, I enjoyed that. It felt like nothing was missing. The pages were filled with precisely the right amount of judiciously selected content, IMO, for someone looking for what I was.

And not to spoil it, but I thought the ending was quite good too. The story arc had me worried that it might be lame. Again, it exceeded my expectations.

Would recommend this arc to anyone.
You got BOOST power!
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Planting this here for when Kiwi wakes up: Pick my brain in the chat about Shanghai Red. Too soon to commit anything valuable to the thread quite yet, but this is an auspicious debut.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.