Paper Mario: The Origami King

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Paper Mario: The Origami King

Post by SkyPikachu »

Edit: Sorry forgot I hadn't said anything. Few days ago nintendo dropped a bombshell out of nowhere announcing a new paper mario game. I've never played a game from this series so I'm interested in possibly playing this.

Release date is July 17th
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King

Post by The Shoemaker »

Nice to see at the very least Nintendo can announce games on the spot, even if current situations are preventing them from doing their usual Directs.

Cautiously optimistic for this one. I'm still not a fan of their insistence on using generic Mario characters compared to previous games in the series. At the very least it would be nice if they used all the new characters and enemies introduced in Mario Odyssey.

I really hope it's an rpg again where you level up. Color Splash could have been a great game if the battle system wasn't tedious and served no purpose other than slowing you down.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote: 18 May 2020 04:01 Nice to see at the very least Nintendo can announce games on the spot, even if current situations are preventing them from doing their usual Directs.

Cautiously optimistic for this one. I'm still not a fan of their insistence on using generic Mario characters compared to previous games in the series. At the very least it would be nice if they used all the new characters and enemies introduced in Mario Odyssey.

I really hope it's an rpg again where you level up. Color Splash could have been a great game if the battle system wasn't tedious and served no purpose other than slowing you down.
Paper Mario 1 & 2 are excellent for that reason. Super Paper Mario and everything after it have been shovelware. The origami concept basically turning a 2D-turned-3D-turned-2D-Mario 3D is a pretty good twist on the formula. Hopefully the game lives up to the idea.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote: 18 May 2020 20:55
The Shoemaker wrote: 18 May 2020 04:01 Nice to see at the very least Nintendo can announce games on the spot, even if current situations are preventing them from doing their usual Directs.

Paper Mario 1 & 2 are excellent for that reason. Super Paper Mario and everything after it have been shovelware. The origami concept basically turning a 2D-turned-3D-turned-2D-Mario 3D is a pretty good twist on the formula. Hopefully the game lives up to the idea.
I definitely don't think Super Paper Mario was shovelware! Gameplay was different but it still had the same quirky charm as the originals with probably the most in depth story. I would prefer a game in the style of the first two still.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote: 18 May 2020 21:51

I definitely don't think Super Paper Mario was shovelware! Gameplay was different but it still had the same quirky charm as the originals with probably the most in depth story. I would prefer a game in the style of the first two still.
I thought the story and gameplay in that one were both paper-thin.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote: 18 May 2020 22:52
The Shoemaker wrote: 18 May 2020 21:51

I thought the story and gameplay in that one were both paper-thin.
Mario literally died and went to the game over realm. I don't know if it gets better than that :lol:
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

I really hope Origami King is good, but "fool me once," as they say. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, Bug Fables is by all accounts a hell of a tribute to the first two. Might have to give it a shot one day.

+1 to Super Paper Mario being good. I greatly enjoyed it. Totally agree that it is not in the same league as its predecessors, but I liked it.
You got BOOST power!
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

The open world that the game is supposed to have has me intrigued. That might be a game changer for me.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

The only outright bad Paper Mario game was Sticker Star. This one will probably be good, even though it won't hit the highs of TTYD.
PoisonRamune
Chatbox Gargoyle
Chatbox Gargoyle

Post by PoisonRamune »

Super Paper Mario was so bad that I had to bribe myself w cocaine to finish it. The Luigi shooter was pretty neat, I’ll give it that. The story was super paper predictable and it was overall a really tedious game w very little reward for what you endured. It’s almost like having someone kick you in the nuts for $20. Yeah, you got $20 but at what cost?
Sticker Star was worth the clearance price of < $10 I bought it for. I didn’t hate it, but I also remember very little of it so there’s that (and take it how you want).