Wasteland 2

A place to discuss PC gaming, including software, client platforms such as Galaxy, Origin, Steam, and Uplay, and hardware like Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.
Niahak

Wasteland 2

Post by Niahak »

I backed this Kickstarter a couple years ago and will be playing it when it releases tomorrow, but I've largely been on a media blackout and didn't play the beta, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Haven't played the original game, although I like the Fallout games. Curious how it will turn out!

Anyone else planning to pick this up, or getting their key on release?
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Wasteland 2

Post by Kong Wen »

I didn't back it, but I have had it sitting on my Steam wishlist since it was announced. I haven't played the original either, and I know next to nothing about this game. It'll be interesting to see the results of one of the big-budget Kickstarter games. I just took a gander at some of the screenshots on the Steam store page and it really does look quite nice.

The only thing is... I can't see myself paying $60 for it. The deal-hunting Yogurt in me will probably wait for a Steam sale.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Niahak

Post by Niahak »

Kong Wen wrote: The only thing is... I can't see myself paying $60 for it. The deal-hunting Yogurt in me will probably wait for a Steam sale.
It's actually going to be $40 when it updates for the full release tomorrow. I think it's $60 just for the early access period.

That said, I still haven't picked up Divinity: OS for $40, so I can understand why that still seems expensive on Steam. I've gotten a lot more picky about price points myself.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Niahak wrote:It's actually going to be $40 when it updates for the full release tomorrow. I think it's $60 just for the early access period.

That said, I still haven't picked up Divinity: OS for $40, so I can understand why that still seems expensive on Steam. I've gotten a lot more picky about price points myself.
Good to know!

Yeah, it's not a reflection on the games themselves. I don't see it as any kind of price entitlement or anything like that. I just happen to play (and buy) a lot of games, and I don't always start playing them as soon as I buy them, so it often makes more sense for me to wait until a better price presents itself before I pull the trigger. I know I'll be getting both Wasteland 2 and Divinity at some point.
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

Just redeemed my key on Steam. Hopefully I'll play a bit this weekend.
Niahak

Post by Niahak »

Played about 17 hours over the weekend - probably will be a month or so before I'm even able to get that much gaming time in again!

I'm liking the pacing (generally) and the branching options to most of the questlines. For example (Ag Center / other place (Highlands?) spoiler)
Spoiler
you can only save one of the two areas as far as I can tell.
I also managed to completely muck up one of the sidequests for the Rail Nomads, and I'm a little surprised I haven't been chewed out about it on the radio yet.

There are definitely some balancing issues, though. If I had to do character creation again, I'd do things pretty differently:
Spoiler
Dump all luck (which I already did)
All characters at least 4 int, possibly higher depending on the cutoff
Don't spend any points on shotguns, they're pretty much worthless
Assault rifles are great, one sniper rifle person is good, melee starts off crappy but gets better
Only one character with pistol skills at all
Most important skills are awareness, safecracking, lockpicking, comp sci (for quest completion)
One char with leadership is good, and that should be your one decent CHA character
Avoid creating a character with high level toaster repair or explosives - two NPCs have that covered decently
Dialogue skills aren't that great - the few times they've helped I think there are other ways to do things
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Wasteland 2 is coming to PS4! I'm pretty excited about this news, as it's been sitting on my wishlist for some time, but I tend to prefer playing games on console when possible.

Niahak or anyone else who played it on PC, can you shed any insight on how you think the controls will work & feel on a console controller?
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

I bought it yesterday (it's on Steam sale) and would say that the controls are everything but controller friendly.
They may be able to solve it in some way though, after all e.g. XCom and other turn-based games work fine on consoles.

Still trying to find my way around though. Some interface/control aspects are not very intuitive for me yet.
However, my first impression is pretty postive.
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
Niahak

Post by Niahak »

Kong Wen wrote:Wasteland 2 is coming to PS4! I'm pretty excited about this news, as it's been sitting on my wishlist for some time, but I tend to prefer playing games on console when possible.

Niahak or anyone else who played it on PC, can you shed any insight on how you think the controls will work & feel on a console controller?
I wasn't surprised to hear this when the team said they were making improvements on the PC version. Unity framework allows you to port stuff really easily. I'm a lot more surprised that Tropico is still coming to consoles.

It was pretty heavily geared towards mouse & keyboard gaming, but I could see it working with a controller similar to how XCOM does. The toughest part is the "clicking" on NPCs and doodads for movement and skill use, and they could make that much easier by having the cursor jump between possible targets instead of having manual selection. Honestly, in the PC version this would've been a great feature to have as the game trains you to obsess a bit over finding item caches.

I never followed up my last post - beat the game. It got much easier towards the end. I feel like the game actually peaks pretty early, but it's still a good game.
Niahak

Post by Niahak »

Director's cut was released last week. Anybody pick it up?

The PC changes are a little underwhelming, but it's surprisingly fun to replay with more knowledge of how the areas work.

They added "perks" (like Fallout series, periodic bonuses you get every three or four levels) and "quirks" (tradeoffs you set at character creation). Otherwise it looks like rebalances and graphics upgrades for PC, along with controller support.

/edit: I guess if we're talking about "Director's Cut" this might now belong in Misc. Gaming.