Socially Distant Santa 2020

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Re: Socially Distant Santa 2020

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Kong Wen wrote: 19 Dec 2020 17:20 I finished the Mirror Temple in Celeste last night and I think I'm only missing 4 strawbs from the later checkpoints. I think this means I only have two chapters left to beat the game, and then of course I'm going to scour it.
Good luck! I've missed a lot of strawberries in forst round and still missed some on second round.
Some collectibles needed for the bonus chapters are not easily found, or at least not obvious. Without some online help I would not have figured out where to find them. Still missing 2 hearts for chapter 9 ...
Grt. Merlin

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

MerlinDrazziw wrote: 19 Dec 2020 17:27
Kong Wen wrote: 19 Dec 2020 17:20 I finished the Mirror Temple in Celeste last night and I think I'm only missing 4 strawbs from the later checkpoints. I think this means I only have two chapters left to beat the game, and then of course I'm going to scour it.
Good luck! I've missed a lot of strawberries in forst round and still missed some on second round.
Some collectibles needed for the bonus chapters are not easily found, or at least not obvious. Without some online help I would not have figured out where to find them. Still missing 2 hearts for chapter 9 ...
I don't even know what hearts are yet, so I'll definitely have some soul-searching ahead of me lol
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Alright, I sat down for a bit this evening and finished off Chapter 6: Reflection. Decent chapter. I didn't find a single strawb, which I guess must have been by design. One of my few problems with this game is that some of the action setpieces outstay their welcome (e.g. the chapter 6 boss fight is too long). Anyway, looks like I should have one chapter left! :neon:
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote: 23 Dec 2020 01:04 Alright, I sat down for a bit this evening and finished off Chapter 6: Reflection. Decent chapter. I didn't find a single strawb, which I guess must have been by design. One of my few problems with this game is that some of the action setpieces outstay their welcome (e.g. the chapter 6 boss fight is too long). Anyway, looks like I should have one chapter left! :neon:
I love the boss in chapter 6, the heightened music with the emotional climax of the story mixes so well. It's long for sure, especially on a first run. When I've replayed the game I've noticed that sections weren't nearly as long as I remembered because I was that much better at the game.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I like the chapter 6 boss, but the execution could have been a lot better. Too many rooms of doing the same stuff. We get it.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I'm a good chunk of the way up the summit now (just hit the 3000m checkpoint). I believe I have 125 strawbz. Paused to record a video tonight, and then I have some baking to do, and turkey to cook and consume tomorrow, and then northern hemisphere winter holiday festivities for the 25th and 26th, but I'm hoping I should be able to beat the game one of those evenings. If not, the 27th is looking good. And then I should have plenty of time before the 4th to tackle Strider. :)
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote: 24 Dec 2020 03:50 I'm a good chunk of the way up the summit now (just hit the 3000m checkpoint). I believe I have 125 strawbz. Paused to record a video tonight, and then I have some baking to do, and turkey to cook and consume tomorrow, and then northern hemisphere winter holiday festivities for the 25th and 26th, but I'm hoping I should be able to beat the game one of those evenings. If not, the 27th is looking good. And then I should have plenty of time before the 4th to tackle Strider. :)
I appreciate your dedication! Hope you like Strider!
You got BOOST power!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

You're almost there Kong! I mentioned in the game clear thread you guys motivated me to play Celeste again. Beat it in two sittings! Still love the game.

I've been playing a lot of Monster Boy, and the game really gets better the more you play. I'm really into it now, might even try and go for 100% (we'll see). I just got the dragon transformation so I imagine I'm getting closer to the end.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

I'm having a heck of a time finding these collectibles I've missed. Some of the ones I have found were in bizarre places so I just need to be more thorough. I feel like I have scrubbed this game but I'm still missing meditation spots, sea shells, and those areas where you release sea life. I'll keep trying but I'm starting to think I'll bail without completing it. I will keep working on it through our deadline date (was it the fourth?).
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

First Santa challenge complete! I had a save from when I just beat the hotel level, but I went back and replayed those first stages to reacquaint myself with the controls. I also beat the PICO-8 version of Celeste.

All told that's the game beat with 130/175 strawbz, 2229 deaths, in 16:42:18.979.

I'll keep playing a bit to collect more strawbs and other collectibles I missed, but I'm in no hurry to complete this one.

I'll be firing up Strider next—as Clay's honorary 2nd pick—to see if I can beat it before the 4th. :) Thanks for the challenge, Clay!