October Gaming - Be Very Afraid

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

How is your Halloween Gaming going?

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

Howdy folks,

With October Country rolling around, it's the time of year when I like to update my backloggery theme, put my "now playing" list to one side and roll out the dread carnival of unbeaten games with a horror/spooky/Halloween theme to them.

This year (and due to free time and access) I've decided to set myself a graded challenge rather than simply giving myself an impossible number of such games to beat.

I'll be starting off with a light schedule of cutesy Halloween titles for Game Boy Color and seeing how quickly I can defeat them. On the initial menu are:

Wendy: Every Witch Way

I've heard improbably great things about this gravity inverting platformer based on some obscure cartoon licence and developed by WayForward. I've also heard that it's short, which should make it an ideal starter as we warm up to Halloween.

Also on the platter will be another obscure licensed cutesy platformer

Baby Felix: Halloween

I've had a little go of it. It controls well and seems quite difficult, although there is an easy mode if I wimp out.

Lastly to mix things up a bit I'll be taking on the classic puzzler:

Bubble Ghost

If I can polish these three off, then I'm currently drawing up a list of harder Halloween challenges.

More importantly though, what is everyone else playing this Spooky season?
Last edited by VictorViper on 08 Oct 2014 08:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged/Moved.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: How is your Halloween Gaming going?

Post by Kong Wen »

A Beta Fu7ure wrote:I've heard improbably great things about this gravity inverting platformer based on some obscure cartoon licence and developed by WayForward.
I like how you described this. There are a lot of staunch WayForward apologists out there. I'll be interested to hear what you think about it. (Not that I ever knew this game existed before you mentioned it, but it'll still be interesting to hear whether you think it's worth the praise it apparently gets.)
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Re: October Gaming - Be Very Afraid

Post by Sharecrow »

I played Fatal Frame again for the first time in nearly a year. I made some good progress. I'm still on night two, though. How much longer will they make me do this? The most recent cutscene was just awful (and I had to watch it three times!!!)

I made a tiny bit of progress in episode 5 of Siren: Blood Curse as well. This most recent chapter has been really tough for me. I've finally figured out what I'm expected to do - now I just have to do it. Environments have begun repeating (with different playable characters and objectives, though). It hasn't bothered me yet.

I am also kind of playing Outlast in Nightmare mode occasionally in practice for being able to beat it in Insane mode to complete it.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Sharecrow wrote:I think you bailed on Dead Space even before it got good :(. But to each their own - it's understandable.
I'm sure I did! But a big part of that reason is because the atmosphere and tension were so good that they were enough to scare me away. I didn't even need monsters!
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Kong Wen wrote:
Sharecrow wrote:I think you bailed on Dead Space even before it got good :(. But to each their own - it's understandable.
I'm sure I did! But a big part of that reason is because the atmosphere and tension were so good that they were enough to scare me away. I didn't even need monsters!

That makes two of us. I just couldn't handle that game.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

VictorViper wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:

That makes two of us. I just couldn't handle that game.
The Hunter made that game great. You didn't get far enough to have met it, though. That's about a third of the way in if I recall. Some of those fights are among the most uncomfortable I've participated in. There's also a few really neat scenes later in the game (using a cannon reminiscent of the guns used on the Falcon in Star Wars 4 after they flee the Death Star and space walking on the side of the ship to name a couple).
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I made it at least a third of the way in, then. Sometime not long after you need to cross the breached hull (SO cool). At any rate, it was around the time the Hunters were introduced that I gave up on it out of consideration for my poor heart.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

VictorViper wrote:I made it at least a third of the way in, then. Sometime not long after you need to cross the breached hull (SO cool). At any rate, it was around the time the Hunters were introduced that I gave up on it out of consideration for my poor heart.
That first encounter is really just an introduction to your new problem. There are several later encounters that are much more bothersome. One in particular still bothers me when I think back on it.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Sharecrow wrote:That first encounter is really just an introduction to your new problem. There are several later encounters that are much more bothersome. One in particular still bothers me when I think back on it.

I'm going to go back to play this game after Thanksgiving.
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Re: How is your Halloween Gaming going?

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

Kong Wen wrote:
A Beta Fu7ure wrote:I've heard improbably great things about this gravity inverting platformer based on some obscure cartoon licence and developed by WayForward.
I like how you described this. There are a lot of staunch WayForward apologists out there. I'll be interested to hear what you think about it. (Not that I ever knew this game existed before you mentioned it, but it'll still be interesting to hear whether you think it's worth the praise it apparently gets.)
I'm not massively familiar with WayForward's work. My experience with their titles amounts to Contra 4 on the DS. Lit on Wiiware and WWF: Betrayal on GBC. The latter was a really bare bones scrolling beat-em up and had some of the most horrendous "music" I've ever come across (one youtube comment referred to it as being "akin to a robot commiting suicide" which wasn't far off). I was surprised it was apparently put together by the same developer that has legendary status for creativity with some gamers.

As for Wendy, I'd seen it crop up on several "hidden gem" articles and videos for obscure Game Boy games so picked up a copy a few months back, planning to play it as part of a Halloween fest. I did so last night. It took less that an hour to beat it.

It's apparently based on a secondary character from Caspar the Friendly Ghost. You'd expect then, a developer to knock out some cheap platformer. Perhaps it's because WayForward chose to do something more original that the game has been singled out for praise because, unfortunately, it does have it flaws.

Graphically, it's very good, with a pleasing color palette, nicely animated, personality filled sprites and some nifty parallax scrolling (I'm from the generation who still thinks Parallax scrolling is impressive whenever he sees it)...the music though is less well done. While it's certainly better than Betrayal's depressed robot it has the sound of a developer who doesn't really understand the hardware he or she is using with odd, tinny sounding beeps and boops. Alarmingly, in one stage a sudden patch of slowdown seems to turn off the music completely! On another stage, floor spikes appear to have no ill effect on my character which may also suggest a slightly rushed nature to the development time.

All of which is strange because the gameplay is really quite interesting. If you've ever played VVVVVV, the gravity stage in one of the old Mega Man games or the 2d sections from the Super Mario Galaxy games you'll be at home here but it was probably fairly pioneering to have the whole game focused on such tricks when this title was released.

As well as running and jumping and firing her magic wand (which can be charged up by collecting stars that are liberally scattered throughout stages), pressing up and A also reverses gravity in the game causing everything, Wendy, bad guys, toxic slime and certain platforms to fall upwards, this is used to lend a puzzle aspect to the platforming as you need to decide which way around to tackle the various jumps, while later levels introduce further challenges such as gravity controlling monsters who can undo your work and large vertical mazes that require constant flipping of gravity.

While these are all enjoyable the game's main issue is that just as you get into each level it ends. Even given the nature of Game boy games these stages are short and with only four worlds (split into 3 stages each) it doesn't take long to see them all. While there is a high score to aim for the game doesn't really give any other purpose to collecting the stars scattered around the levels and so if you have a fully charged up wand (which acts as both your health and the radius of your weapon) the temptation is just to get through it as quickly as possible and ignore the detours.

In between each world (which form the four towers of a castle) there is a brief broomstick riding scrolling shooter section which is reminiscent of a sort of Cotton-lite but these are also short and offer no boss fight at the end (the game only has one, very easy final boss).

There is a hard mode to try after beating the game on its regular setting and also, curiously an "Advance World" - another world that is only selectable if the game is being played on a GBA (unfortunately I left my SP in England so can't try it!).

The length of the game is ultimately it's downfall because the ideas presented in it are good ones. I suppose though, ultimately, this was aimed at a target demographic of young kids and it's difficulty reflects this. Still, it's hard to dislike a developer who takes a relative turd of a license and polishes it into something that's quirky and surprisingly inventive to play. It's certainly worth a play through if you see a loose cart floating about but will probably only remain a Halloween tradition after you've beaten all it has to offer.