Castlevania: Dracula X

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Castlevania: Dracula X

Post by Kong Wen »

Castlevania: Dracula X is being released on the Wii U Virtual Console today. This is the SNES port/side-make of Rondo of Blood, although it's different in several ways. This is also the first time it's been released on any of Nintendo's myriad Virtual Console services (it wasn't on Wii), so this is an interesting release for Castlevania fans. I think the Genesis entry Bloodlines might be the only "classic" one that hasn't been re-released now.

Is anyone planning on picking it up?
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Re: Castlevania: Dracula X

Post by Claytone »

I've already played, beaten, and loved Rondo of Blood, which I understand is better, so I may skip this one.

Bloodlines, on the other hand... I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote:I've already played, beaten, and loved Rondo of Blood, which I understand is better, so I may skip this one.

Bloodlines, on the other hand... I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
If you loved Rondo so much... wouldn't you want to experience a different "version" of it? I like to think of this game as Rondo B-Sides. ;)
slangman
Beginner

Post by slangman »

Will be grabbing this one, when it arrives in Euroland, hopefully before end of October. Have always been curious about the SNES version, due to the re-imaging, an also because of how they made the best use of the SNES power they could, from what I heard. Just hope we don't get the mutliated Vampires Kiss localisation, in its wonderful 50Hz glory.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

And it looks like the month of October is Castlevania related [on Wii U]

Now if only Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge would arrive on the 3DS VC (please?) ;)

Anyways, I'll pick Dracula X up maybe this weekend.... or next week (when I get paid).
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Does anyone recommend it as a good starting point into the Castlevania series? I've only played Castlevania III, I might have made it to the third level, it was so hard!
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:Does anyone recommend it as a good starting point into the Castlevania series? I've only played Castlevania III, I might have made it to the third level, it was so hard!
No, not at all.

There are two kind of main genres of Castlevania games: straight platformers and exploration adventures with some minor RPG elements.

In the former camp, most people will say Castlevania III is the best option. Actually, it'll usually be a close competition between that and Super Castlevania IV on SNES. I prefer the original. These are all on VC, but they're all hard, though! If that's not your cup of tea, you might opt for the other genre.

Symphony of the Night is widely heralded as the best of the exploration adventures, and I'd tend to agree, although there are others that are just about as consistently excellent. Aria of Sorrow on GBA is probably tied for my favourite of these games—actually, I may like it even more than Symphony. As of right now, I think it's only available on GBA, but there are rumours that it'll show up on the VC eventually (and I don't see why it wouldn't). It also has a direct sequel on DS that's not as good.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

Kong Wen wrote:Aria of Sorrow on GBA is probably tied for my favourite of these games—actually, I may like it even more than Symphony. As of right now, I think it's only available on GBA, but there are rumours that it'll show up on the VC eventually...
I will not be surprised if it releases on the 23rd or 30th this month. Three Castlevania titles already in October, and I'm guessing this is the month of Dracula on Wii U!

As I said earlier, I hope 3DS VC gets some more love of Castlevania [Castlevania II (GB)], but with Japan's imfamous 3DS VC drought, I kind of doubt that.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

kitroplious wrote:Three Castlevania titles already in October, and I'm guessing this is the month of Dracula on Wii U!

As I said earlier, I hope 3DS VC gets some more love of Castlevania [Castlevania II (GB)], but with Japan's imfamous 3DS VC drought, I kind of doubt that.
Kid Dracula would be an awesome GB game for the 3DS VC. Even though I already paid $50+ for the cart, I would welcome a digital version as well. ;)
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:Does anyone recommend it as a good starting point into the Castlevania series? I've only played Castlevania III, I might have made it to the third level, it was so hard!
No, not at all.

There are two kind of main genres of Castlevania games: straight platformers and exploration adventures with some minor RPG elements.

In the former camp, most people will say Castlevania III is the best option. Actually, it'll usually be a close competition between that and Super Castlevania IV on SNES. I prefer the original. These are all on VC, but they're all hard, though! If that's not your cup of tea, you might opt for the other genre.

Symphony of the Night is widely heralded as the best of the exploration adventures, and I'd tend to agree, although there are others that are just about as consistently excellent. Aria of Sorrow on GBA is probably tied for my favourite of these games—actually, I may like it even more than Symphony. As of right now, I think it's only available on GBA, but there are rumours that it'll show up on the VC eventually (and I don't see why it wouldn't). It also has a direct sequel on DS that's not as good.
Looks like we're in luck, Aria of Sorrow was just rated for Wii U VC!
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons