Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

Post by The Shoemaker »

I've been playing this game for the past couple days and I've been really enjoying it. The game continues off of the DSiWare title Shantae: Risky's Revenge and is the last in the trilogy starting with the orginal GBC game. The music is phenomenal so far; WayForward always does a good job in that department.

I haven't gotten too far into the game yet, but so far I can say the game has a lot of charm and the potential to be something really great.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Re: Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

Post by kitroplious »

The Shoemaker wrote:I've been playing this game for the past couple days and I've been really enjoying it. The game continues off of the DSiWare title Shantae: Risky's Revenge and is the last in the trilogy starting with the orginal GBC game.
The last game... when it comes to handheld releases [on Nintendo systems].

Haven't gotten this one yet. Filling in the void with Amiibo and the Super Smash Bros. Wii U game + GameCube Controller bundle!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

kitroplious wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:I've been playing this game for the past couple days and I've been really enjoying it. The game continues off of the DSiWare title Shantae: Risky's Revenge and is the last in the trilogy starting with the orginal GBC game.
The last game... when it comes to handheld releases [on Nintendo systems].

Haven't gotten this one yet. Filling in the void with Amiibo and the Super Smash Bros. Wii U game + GameCube Controller bundle!
Right, the series will continue with Half Genie Hero for consoles but that will be a new story arc apparently.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

This was my favorite 3DS game. It was a blast to play. The platforming and characters were great. The music was phenomenal as well.

I think my personal favorite part of the game is the zombie world with Rottytops. However, the final level was also epic and felt like it had just the right level of challenge.

I have high hopes for Half-Genie Hero (which I donated money to on kickstarter about a year ago) after playing Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. I think what Wayforward will do is have the Risky Boots levels of Half-Genie Hero play like Shantae did in Pirate's Curse. Risky will probably have stuff like the pistol, cannon and gliding hat. They'll probably add new things as well like giving her the ability to use tinkerbats to do her bidding for certain segments. Shantae meanwhile will go back to dancing and transformations.

I definitely look forward to playing Rottytops as well. I was so happy when the additional character goal got funded since Rottytops and Bolo are great characters.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote:This was my favorite 3DS game. It was a blast to play. The platforming and characters were great. The music was phenomenal as well.

I think my personal favorite part of the game is the zombie world with Rottytops. However, the final level was also epic and felt like it had just the right level of challenge.

I have high hopes for Half-Genie Hero (which I donated money to on kickstarter about a year ago) after playing Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. I think what Wayforward will do is have the Risky Boots levels of Half-Genie Hero play like Shantae did in Pirate's Curse. Risky will probably have stuff like the pistol, cannon and gliding hat. They'll probably add new things as well like giving her the ability to use tinkerbats to do her bidding for certain segments. Shantae meanwhile will go back to dancing and transformations.

I definitely look forward to playing Rottytops as well. I was so happy when the additional character goal got funded since Rottytops and Bolo are great characters.
I just got to the Ice island in the game, so I've almost wrapped it all up. The game really never stops being challenging, when I got to Mud Bog Island I actually had to leave and do some serious Squid Heart searching and grinding money for power upgrades. The item use has been pretty simple so far, but now later into the game the use of each item is becoming more frequent and interesting. I'm still really enjoying the dialogue, music and presentation all around.

I actually checked out Half Genie Kickstarter today and had no idea we hit so many stretch goals! They added lots of characters and chapters to play which is really impressive. I think you're right though, I totally see the Risky sections working like Shantae does in this game. I wonder how Bolo and Rottytops will play like.

Also, Half Genie is going to look awesome in HD. I watched the initial trailer again and the 2D art in the semi-3D world looks great.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I remember the boss of the Ice World giving me some difficulties. I did really like the propeller/floating world in that stage. There was some great platforming there.

They posted this some time back to give hints about how some of the new characters would work. Rottytops' ability made me laugh. Power of the undead? More like power of the unhead.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote:I remember the boss of the Ice World giving me some difficulties. I did really like the propeller/floating world in that stage. There was some great platforming there.

They posted this some time back to give hints about how some of the new characters would work. Rottytops' ability made me laugh. Power of the undead? More like power of the unhead.
Neat! Have they said yet if you'll just be replaying the game as those characters or will they have they're own specific chapters?
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

They said they'd have their own stories but it is unclear whether they'll have the same stages or not.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I beat the game 2 nights ago, it was a lot of fun! The final couple dungeons were cool, lots of good platforming there. The final power up you get really speeds things along too, especially when combinated with Risky's Hat and Boots. I unlocked Pirate Mode where it seems like I start with all my items - I guess this is good for speed running? I think i'll give it a shot.

Question: Do you know if anything would have happened differently in the end if I didn't
Spoiler
find all of the Dark Magic?
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I believe there are slightly different endings depending on:

-How much you have acquired. This includes dark magic, items in the shop, etc.

-How fast you beat the game.

I haven't tested it out myself. Once I beat the game I was pretty much done. I personally had also collected all the dark magic. I'm not sure how different the final boss would be
Spoiler
if you didn't have all of the dark magic. I'm actually not sure you could even fight the final boss at all without it, but I don't know.